Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

Climate Change: Chicago & Toronto In Danger Of Submersion (Great Lakes)

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3941750002 https://cottagelife.com/general/experts-predict-high-water-levels-for-the-great-lakes-in-2020/

ubYUBbI.jpg

Touristic Toronto island closed after submersion ∆∆∆∆

2020 is expected to have the Great Lakes (which hold 20% of world's fresh water) water levels to go even higher than in 2019... 2019 already broke all time high water levels after already being broken in 2017

2019-2008-copy.jpg

7OXZ6GDHB5CMBIPEWRRKA74LIA.jpg

cigreatlakes.jpg

For decades climate change was actually causing water levels to drop as lower ice coverage in winter meant more all year evaporation, while human use of water didn't help matters. But after a complete reversal in trends and year after year of water accumulation surpluses experts are analyzing if the trend may be gone for good

It could be that we don't get a lot of ice coverage most winter years anymore anyway and a further 1 or 2 degrees increase won't alter evaporation significantly but the overall annually precipitation is up 8% from last century and rising meaning levels could keep rising

It could be that the new problem now is the opposite of what we thought was going to happen. The great lakes may remain chronically too full rather than too empty and rising year after year and some coastal cities like Toronto and Chicago for example will increasingly deal with coastal submersion

Summer activities in Toronto island may become impossible as it may become chronically underwater

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

Economy

The irony that lack of fresh waster is supposibly suppusto be one of the worst issues global warming will bring and our islands and coastlines are literally being drowning in it :air:

This last summer some Toronto beaches were closed because... There was no beach... The water levels went higher than the sand and just below the roads :deadbanana:

Economy
Just now, SeasonOfTheWitch said:

Alright y’all take out your metal straws 

When we pee and flush it goes back into the lake :deadbanana:

SeasonOfTheWitch
Just now, Economy said:

When we pee and flush it goes back into the lake :deadbanana:

I feel like GGD doesn’t have a problem with that

sweating wendy williams GIF

• LMAO 5

River

So soon there will be a new spin off -  Chicago Water

CHICAGO-NIGHT-620x370.png

Edited by River
I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • LMAO 5

Economy
5 minutes ago, River said:

So soon there will be a new spin off -  Chicago Water

CHICAGO-NIGHT-620x370.png

What are u talking about? Chicago is fine :selena:

chicago-coastline-lake-michigan-1024x768

LakeMichiganrising05_29_19SoldierField.0

And so is Toronto :)

elanawhite_60885810_406784406841028_6829

Edited by Economy
  • LMAO 3

LaLa

My aunt lives on Lake Ontario (between Hamilton and Burlington) and she had like no beach last summer, it was crazy! And she's had so many problems with her basement flooding, it sucks.

I mean obviously the issues are much bigger than that, but we really are starting to see the effects of climate change on our everyday lives.

River
2 minutes ago, Economy said:

What are u talking about? Chicago is fine :selena:

chicago-coastline-lake-michigan-1024x768

LakeMichiganrising05_29_19SoldierField.0

And so is Toronto :)

elanawhite_60885810_406784406841028_6829

flood GIF

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • LMAO 1

Economy
8 minutes ago, LaLa said:

My aunt lives on Lake Ontario (between Hamilton and Burlington) and she had like no beach last summer, it was crazy! And she's had so many problems with her basement flooding, it sucks.

I mean obviously the issues are much bigger than that, but we really are starting to see the effects of climate change on our everyday lives.

I just can't at the irony cuz the concern was the falling water levels... They been talking about that since the 1970s and 1980s

I guess they didn't take into account that once the ice coverage in winter dropped below a certain threshold, further warming wouldn't have as much of an impact on evaporation levels during all the cold winter months and that increased overall annual precipitation would become a bigger factor than increased evaporation

Or at least that's the theory. It's only in 2013 the falling levels reversed so 7 years is a bit hard to be sure yet

But that's a lot of accumulation in 7 years :duck:

But about th beach yeah... I live in Brampton and commute to Toronto frequently just to hang out with friends or visit my grandparents...

And this last summer when driving by the water front I was like "Where the f*ck did the beach go???? :duck:"

Edited by Economy

LateToCult

Now wayament. Maybe we should let Mother Nature do her thing and take out the Chicago gays first.

rickey smiley eye roll GIF by TV One

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4

Economy
4 minutes ago, Gagaloo92 said:

Well it was nice knowing those cities stranger things funeral GIF

While most of Toronto would be fine...

The annual exhibition is near Lake water level :duck:

And I been meaning to go to Toronto island again for years... Plz let it be open next summer and not submerged forever. My favourite ride ever was on that island :noparty:

As for Chicago I never been there but I wanna see

Based on the photos it seems like the high water levels are getting them even harder than us

Gagaloo92
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

While most of Toronto would be fine...

The annual exhibition is near Lake water level :duck:

And I been meaning to go to Toronto island again for years... Plz let it be open next summer and not submerged forever. My favourite ride ever was on that island :noparty:

As for Chicago I never been there but I wanna see

Based on the photos it seems like the high water levels are getting them even harder than us

In all seriousness though hopefully they can do something to manage it or prevent it from flooding. 

I for one am worried about Venice especially after the latest floods there. Such a beautiful city and I want to see and visit it someday :bradley:

• Love 1