Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

New Type Of Black Hole Discovered In Our Galaxy

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/scientists-spot-black-hole-so-huge-it-should-not-even-exist-in-our-galaxy

A black hole with 70 solar masses (over twice as massive as the upper limit thought possible from typical black holes) has been discovered in the Milky way Galaxy

This is a bit puzzling for scientists because typically there are 2 types of black holes...

There are the stellar black holes created from the collapse of super massive super Nova which typically do not exceed 20 solar masses at most...

Then there are the super massive black holes that can be millions of solar masses and usually exist at the centre of galaxies. The origin of super massive black holes is still up for debate

But case and point, blackholes have always been either the smaller stellar black holes or the super massive, never something in between...

In theory a supernova should not create a black hole of this mass but it is far too tiny to be a super massive black hole making its origins puzzling and up for debate

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Shook 8

27monster27

Well, since it is a bit too small to be an intermediate mass black hole, I assume that it possibly could have been a stellar mass black hole that ate up enough mass that allowed said black hole to be that dense.

Edited by 27monster27
STAN: Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, and Froy Gutierrez.
  • Like 1

Economy
19 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

Well, since it is a bit too small to be an intermediate mass black hole, I assume that it possibly could have been a stellar mass black hole that ate up enough mass to get it to be that dense.

That's what I was thinking but I feel like if the answer was that simple scientists wouldn't be making a thing about it

It would have to eat up A LOT of mass to grow to that size...

I think part of the reason this doesn't make sense is that the only areas of the galaxy with enough mass density to fuel a black hole to this size would be near the core, but then near the core a blackhole would simply be attracted to the super massive black hole and be gobled up

In essence, a blackhole this size isn't supposed to exist, at least not in our galaxy... Yet it does

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1

Frivolero

wow! and some people's ego in this world are insane and they think they are the **** 

we are insignificant, we are truly foolish and we do not know everything

stay humble y'all this blackhole gonna eat ya up:enigma:

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

27monster27
1 minute ago, Economy said:

That's what I was thinking but I feel like if the answer was that simple scientists wouldn't be making a thing about it

It would have to eat up A LOT of mass to grow to that size...

I think part of the reason this doesn't make sense is that the only areas of the galaxy with enough mass density to fuel a black hole to this size would be near the core, but then near the core a blackholes would simply be attracted to the super massive black hole and be gobled up

In essence, a blackholes this size isn't supposed to exist, at least not in our galaxy... Yet it does

It possible could have been from a, or a couple, (of) black hole merger(s).

STAN: Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, and Froy Gutierrez.
  • Like 2

Bonkers

ugh, i thought this was about sex :saladga:

Beautiful in my way
  • LMAO 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Economy
6 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

It's certainly a possibility... But they would have to by coincidence both be in the upper limits of what a Steller blackholes in our galaxies mass density should be able to go up to and they would coincidentally have to run into eachother...

They also couldn't originally be from the same area otherwise if they were competing for matter they wouldn't have gotten so big so presumably they would have to run into eachother coming from opposite directions

It's a possible explanation but a lot of unlikely coincidences would of had to happen... Curious to see what they make out of this as time goes on

PartySick
8 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

Or an accelerated form of Hawking radiation turning a huge black hole into a small one :sis:

That's supposed to take trillions of years though considering it's just random quantum tunneling which...takes at least that long to remove any noticable amount of mass from a black hole :selena: to turn a super massive into a 70 solar mass black hole would take thousands of times longer than the universe has been around for...

Nevermind :vegas:

Please let go of my arm, Karen 🦏
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Or an accelerated form of Hawking radiation turning a huge black hole into a small one :sis:

That's supposed to take trillions of years though considering it's just random quantum tunneling which...takes at least that long to remove any noticable amount of mass from a black hole :selena: to turn a super massive into a 70 solar mass black hole would take thousands of times longer than the universe has been around for...

@27monster27 found another article that mentioned a possibility https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/an-impossible-black-hole-has-been-found-in-the-milky-way-galaxy/amp

Basically if a black hole managed to form quickly enough after the end stages of a dying star going Nova and the ejected matter managed to be sucked back into the blackhole before being ejected too far to escape it's gravity...

This black hole would have a MUCH larger starting mass than most black holes because the entire original mass of the super massive star would fuel the black hole instead of just a small fraction of the dense core giving it a head start to already be bigger even before it gets to accumulate more mass over time

An unlikely merge of 2 exceptionally large Steller black holes like you (27monster27) mentioned was indeed also included as a possibility

27monster27
Just now, Economy said:

@27monster27 found another article that mentioned a possibility https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/an-impossible-black-hole-has-been-found-in-the-milky-way-galaxy/amp

Basically if a black hole managed to form quickly enough after the end stages of a dying star going Nova and the ejected matter managed to be sucked back into the blackhole before being ejected too far to escape it's gravity...

This black hole would have a MUCH larger starting mass than most black holes because the entire original mass of the super massive star would fuel the black hole instead of just a small fraction of the dense core giving it a head start to already be bigger even before it gets to accumulate more mass over time

An unlikely merge of 2 exceptionally large Steller black holes like you (27monster27) mentioned was indeed also included as a possibility

I was actually just about to type this. Now, a star this large most likely would have made for a far denser black hole, but this could have been photodisintegration. For stars that have the ability to undergo hypernova, the process of photodisintegration plays a large role. The photodisintegration process takes energy away from the explosion, causing a "failed supernova/hypernova". Essentially, a massive stars death without the explosion.

• Like 1

Economy
8 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Which if the universe space fabric doesn't rip, or crunch back, or go thru a time snapshot freeze or any of the other end of the universe theories out there... It means that black holes will be the last things to exist until the very last one radiated away from pure hawking radiation...

But then the fabric of space would still exist and this fabric in essence still has to be made up of something :oprah:

• Shook 1

27monster27
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

Which if the universe space fabric doesn't rip, or crunch back, or go thru a time snapshot freeze or any of the other end of the universe theories out there... It means that black holes will be the last things to exist until the very last one radiated away from pure hawking radiation...

But then the fabric of space would still exist and this fabric in essence still has to be made up of something :oprah:

I have never heard of this hypothetical end of the universe. What is it?

PartySick
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

It means that black holes will be the last things to exist until the very last one radiated away from pure hawking radiation...

Until a random drop in entropy leads to another big bang inside our universe :awesome:

That's what I choose to believe at least :bradley:

Please let go of my arm, Karen 🦏
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1

River

I hope it will suck us all :heart:

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • YAAAS 1

Santa Stefani
1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

ugh, i thought this was about sex :saladga:

Imagine discovering new types of such a kind of black holes :enigma: