Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

"Pete Buttigieg is a Lying MF"

Featured Posts

OG Gaga Stan
15 minutes ago, the Devil of Pop said:

The same could be said about the majority of the 2020 Democratic candidates (besides the blessed Bernie and Liz). It's all just personality cultivating for their future branding.  

...Yes. Exactly. And that’s exactly why you shouldn’t vote for them. And why Sanders (and to a lesser extent, Warren) are better candidates.

• YAAAS 1

Lilmonzter
55 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I don't usually engage with people who clearly know not what they are speaking of, but I must ask - do you truly believe Kellyanne Conway is the first person in politics to not answer a question? Do you think the Trump Administration invented that?

Also, this video was in my YouTube recommendations last night despite the fact that I never watch political channels like this on YouTube (I get my news from real sources). So it's definitely paid promotion, but again - who's paying for it?

It's cute you think Kyle Kuliski is news

Between Kellyanne has just popularised the non answer Pete is just more perfect at it. He could have answered a yes or no he chose not to. Very facetious. He went on a tangent about AI and alligators and what not. The military industrial complex is large and powerful.

He's a commentator pro left at that

All news sources have certain leaning nowadays left or right, it's in our best interest to filter, understand any first hand news.

It's undeniable Pete is a corporate candidate, who is a media darling at that he's not is the top three nationally but is getting a lot of airtime from the MSM.

We are here. We're Queer. Get used to it.

HorusRa2

This is just a general comment with regard to the original post & Pete's candidacy in general. While it makes me very happy to see an openly LGBT candidate be successful in a presidential bid, it makes me also very sad that he is also the candidate with very similar issues to Hillary Clinton with regard to campaign finance and has similar issues with regard to race that Bernie had in 2016. That said, Pete has put a lot of effort to connect with the african american community (and also doing a really bad job at times--telling a black woman that he doesn't want her vote is very problematic, not just in the face value but the context in which he said it). The problem is that African Americans are a marginalized group that generally have much more to lose by selecting the wrong candidate. Pete may very well do good in Iowa and New Hampshire, but unless he's winning both of them, he's not likely to sway the african american's into his coalition. He's got a chance to do it but it's in all likelihood not likely to happen. In this case, I think Pete decided to run for president too soon. He should have known he would have to face this challenge and he should have done the necessary work to connect with the african american community in South Bend before deciding to run for president. Maybe actually do something for the community instead of showing up randomly in a presidential bid and expect to get their vote. He can do what Bernie did last time and try at the last minute to get the votes, but it didn't get Bernie elected last time and it's not likely to get Pete elected this time. 

I do think that Pete has some issues with regard to race, but It's really hard to characterize it. I don't think his behavior is necessarily racist; however, it does show he doesn't understand black issues. And he doesn't understand black issues because he's not asking the right questions and speaking to the african american communities and taking that feedback and making actual changes. Don't @ me with his douglass plan because it's not the best plan in the world. It may have nice bells and whistles to it but it's not good enough and isn't what the black brothers and sisters of our country deserve. They deserve better than what they have received and white people in general but especially our white legislators need to come to grips with that. We should not have wealth disparity between white and blacks. We should not have blacks getting gunned down in their houses. Blacks should not be experiencing redlining and discrimination at a systemic level. Black mothers shouldn't have anxiety when having a baby knowing black infant mortality rates are twice as much for whites. They should have already received the reparations they were promised years ago. There won't be healing in this country until that happens and Pete isn't doing what's necessary to get us there & that's why articles like this are being written about him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Economy
1 hour ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

The author is upset by the fact that a candidate for president with a terrible record on race previously said that people in marginalized communities don’t seek out higher education because they don’t have role models to look up to, as if it’s a problem of individual culpability rather than systemic oppression. That’s what he was objecting to. 

U kinda have to be making assumptions on what his line of reasoning was tho

He did not specify the root of what he meant. It could easily be either or

If it's not fully clear u should give ppl the benefit of the doubt before attacking them

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Postboy

He didn’t intend it in a malicious way, of course, but that’s not the point. It reveals a deep ignorance in him and that ignorance will prevent him from making any meaningful change to the public school system. 

It’s also quite offensive to insinuate that it’s a cultural thing. He probably would never mean for it to come across that way, but his words deceive him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OG Gaga Stan
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

U kinda have to be making assumptions on what his line of reasoning was tho

He did not specify the root of what he meant. It could easily be either or

if it's not fully clear u should give ppl the benefit of the doubt before attacking them

I don’t understand what you think is vague about what he said and about the objection to it. The exact rhetoric he used is the problem. 

I’m not “attacking” him. He’s been widely criticized for his ignorance pertaining to issues that impact Black America and his black constituents in South Bend. This author is criticizing something he said. Buttigieg has been given the benefit of the doubt throughout the entirety of this election: he’s received little to no pushback from the mainstream press, and the problems that he actively made worse in his town have largely been ignored. He’s been given the benefit of the doubt. We know his record. The deficiencies are obvious.

• Like 3

Economy
1 hour ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

I don’t understand what you think is vague about what he said and about the objection to it. The exact rhetoric he used is the problem. 

I’m not “attacking” him. He’s been widely criticized for his ignorance pertaining to issues that impact Black America and his black constituents in South Bend. This author is criticizing something he said. Buttigieg has been given the benefit of the doubt throughout the entirety of this election: he’s received little to no pushback from the mainstream press, and the problems that he actively made worse in his town have largely been ignored. He’s been given the benefit of the doubt. We know his record. The deficiencies are obvious.

I already explained what I think is vague... He literally said that blacks often don't have the role models/success stories etc

Ur reaching (as was the article critic) by going under the assumption that by that he meant lazy

Regardless of the root causes if this, blacks have less success... And that can affect one's self confidence that they have any chance of succeeding if they try. That's pretty much a given and that's kind of what he was saying

He did not specify what he thought the root cause for thos was and it sounds like ur putting words in his mouth... His line of thinking MAY OR MAY NOT be what ur assuming he meant

If I was to describe the issue of minorities being discouraged because they face greater obstacles and reduced chances of success and they don't see the success with their parents and friends of the same race and get discouraged, I might use similar wording to describe this

The point is his thought process here is Incomplete and he didn't specify everything he meant, he just have a general idea. There's more than one way this can be interpreted :shrug:

Edited by Economy
  • LMAO 1

Morphine Prince

Poor word choice. Always remember what you say in public can come back to haunt you! 

Even if there is no malicious intent!

Thought I could fly, so I stepped off the Golden
  • Like 4

Lionel Hutz
4 hours ago, hankhatesyouall said:

Wow, an article published by The Root  that spews hatred about a white gay man and features the word "MF".  Color me shocked 😲

Wow a hankhatesyouall comment complaining about a dissenting opinion. Color me shocked 😲

• Like 1

OG Gaga Stan
48 minutes ago, Economy said:

I already explained what I think is vague... He literally said that blacks often don't have the role models/success stories etc

Ur reaching (as was the article critic) by going under the assumption that by that he meant lazy

Regardless of the root causes if this, blacks have less success... And that can affect one's self confidence that they have any chance of succeeding if they try. That's pretty much a given and that's kind of what he was saying

He did not specify what he thought the root cause for thos was and it sounds like ur putting words in his mouth... His line of thinking MAY OR MAY NOT be what ur assuming he meant

If I was to describe the issue of minorities being discouraged because they face greater obstacles and reduced chances of success and they don't see the success with their parents and friends of the same race and get discouraged, I might use similar wording to describe this

The point is his thought process here is Incomplete and he didn't specify everything he meant, he just have a general idea. There's more than one way this can be interpreted :shrug:

Okay, just to clarify again: The article objects to exactly what you just said in your first sentence. The idea that a “lack of role models” has anything to do with black disenfranchisement is ridiculous and misses the point. That’s what the author is objecting to.

Did you read the article? Did you watch the video? They were having a round table discussion pertaining to why students from black and brown areas don’t have more success in school, and he used an old right-wing line rooted in the idea that black students don’t succeed in school because they don’t have role models who have succeeded in school to look up to and, as a result, lose interest in the concept.

That is, on its face, false and idiotic. As I said before, black women are the most educated demographic in the country. There are plenty of success stories. The idea that black students don’t succeed because they don’t have role models to look up to and to motivate them to do well (which, again, is rooted in the notion that this is about individual culpability rather than systemic underfunding and neglect in majority black or brown areas) is inherently ridiculous.

I’m not “reaching.” Bringing up the idea of a lack of role models having something to do with a lack of success in this specific discussion is wrong on its face. It’s not true. And there is no real other interpretation if you’re trying to extrapolate a larger message there: lack of role models = lack of motivation to do better. That’s what he’s saying. That’s what everyone who uses that rhetoric is saying. It’s not a new line. We’ve heard this in America from conservative liberals and right-wingers for decades. And it’s absurd.

Edited by OG Gaga Stan
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 4

ItsTommyBitch
4 hours ago, PoshLife said:

As someone who is not a supporter of Buttigieg but has been watching (and at times working in) politics for over a decade, I can tell you this - there is definitely a concerted effort to suppress Buttigieg's rise in the primary. I can't tell you who's orchestrating it, but it's coordinated. We would not otherwise be getting this constant onslaught of little soundbites and photos that counter the narrative his campaign is trying to craft for him. I think in the next several months we will learn more about whose undertaking this is. But it reminds me precisely of when the Obama campaign in 2007-2008 coordinated with LGBT influencers like AmericaBlog to get them to publish anti-Clinton information during the Dem primary so that LGBT people wouldn't vote for her.

I'll tell you right now who is pushing this effort - black people who don't want Pete Buttigieg to be the nominee because they think he is bad for them, misunderstands their issues, and the country at large that includes them. Clearly the fact that one of the whitest states in the country (about 93% of the state, the rest is quite diverse, under 3% black population) is clouding mainstream media's judgment on this issue, so we should probably change polling dates for early states to better reflect where the country is politically and racial makeup wise.

This is reflected in his abysmal polling with this community.

I'm happy to be part of that "concerted effort"

~~~

If y'all want Buttigieg to be the nominee, maybe have him actually address his issues with the black community in a substantive way and direct his messaging, policy, etc. to reflect it as well. Excusing away valid concerns from black people who don't see him as viable and just screaming "he's good, he supports black people, everything everyone thinks about him is wrong!" ISN'T going to help. You're trying to bury his deficiencies instead of improve upon them.

Take this article. It actually doesn't matter if he "intended" or meant to use right wing rhetoric and imply that black people's lack of success comes from being lazy, apathetic, etc. It only matters how it reads, especially to black people, and black people who know irrefutably that their lack of economic success in this country is due to institutionalized racism and systemic barriers will never be on board with attempts to sugar coat or camouflage this. If he knew then but chose to be vague, he should lose support. He should know better.

And this isn't an isolated incident, as evident by the multiple, repetitive accounts of his inability to articulate black issues well (despite his eloquency, what hes saying is still understood as wrong). It's like people are seeing the signs and symptoms and just absolutely refusing to identify the disease, even when the doctor confirms it.

As @OG Gaga Stan keeps repeating in this thread, It's not his word use, he says good words, its his rhetoric and the coded meaning behind those words that the author is taking offense at - Not the charitable interpretation some people here want to give him, he's just flat out disagreeing with what Pete said. Not what he "meant to say", but what he literally said.

You can't argue vagueness around a (excuse my pun) black and white issue is inherently positive when there's a whole plethora of media and knowledge about how this vagueness translates into policy and political opinion. There's no benefit to him not saying flat out: "Institutionalized racism is the barrier holding black people back from success, and part of the way to dismantle it is by calling it out for what it is."

For example, Buttigieg used to say "all lives matter" back in the day. This isn't suddenly absolved just because he learned what it meant later. It's good that he learned, but it doesn't mean that there wasnt a whole ocean of media during the time that he could have learned from and chose not to. That's literally the appeal of Bernie types, who say things that they mean and call things what they are because they are right, not because they are politically popular or expedient.

Below is a more indepth example of Pete's well intentioned (but fundamentally missing the point) gaffes, but I want to save screen space.

Spoiler

If that doesn't take you to the right time, just go to 20 minutes in exactly

Here he is, talking without the filter of a press release or statement, but candidly to an individual, about the issue of cultural divide and mistrust of black people and the police.

Yet again he defaults to the idea that if black people just had more role models in police, maybe they were in school, and read to them, etc.  that they would trust police more. But hes entirely wrong. He speaks well, but he speaks very little truth in what he says. Black people don't need to "trust the police more", Police need to stop seeing black people as inherently dangerous because its racist. He can't call it what it is, so he uses vague platitudes - and maybe to some of the non black people in this thread, those are effective, but to black people and black allies who take this stuff very seriously, its very very transparent. That's why the black man asks for a follow up and Pete kind of just wavers into nothingness before they move on. 
This is literally only 2 weeks old. And he says things like this all the time, there's clearly a pattern :rip: He doesn't understand how institutionalized racism works, he just recognizes that its a thing, and seems entirely either unwilling or unable to recognize where his privilege puts him on this issue

Anyway, I'm sure he will give some kinda press release response to this along the lines of "I was young and didn't fully understand the issue, obviously systemic racism is very real and very bad, I just meant that we need to find ways as a society to encourage black success" :rip: 

Edited by ItsTommyBitch
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

SKANK

There is a significant difference between lying and being ignorant, but it's 2019, so why should that difference stop a journalist from publishing a dishonest click-bait headline paired with an article that further sews animus with divisive use of language? Skank typed, whitely. 

Florin

Hate him if you want, but if you need to twist his words like that, the problem is you, not him. :oops:

ItsTommyBitch

This is the last few weeks in a nutshell:

White mainstream democrats and centrists: "Everyone LOVES Pete Buttigieg"

Black people, latinos, and progressives: "We don't love Pete Buttigieg"

White mainstream democrats and centrists: "Yes, you do"

:deadbanana: 

Edited by ItsTommyBitch
私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 5

OG Gaga Stan
9 minutes ago, Florin said:

Hate him if you want, but if you need to twist his words like that, the problem is you, not him. :oops:

No one is twisting his words. The article is objecting to exactly what he said. Read the article.

• Like 1