Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

University of California can drop admissions tests

Featured Posts

IcePrincess

SJW wants UC to drop their tests because blacks have worse results.

"At a press conference and in documents released Tuesday, the anti-test advocates alleged that the tests’ material and test-taking procedures are biased in favor of whites and some Asians and lead to those groups getting higher scores on average than blacks and Latinos."

What do you think about it?

How is racism to disappear in this world if it is all in the opposite direction. Equality is not about facilitating smaller groups. Tests should stay in standard form.

https://edsource.org/2019/university-of-california-must-drop-admissions-tests-civil-rights-groups-urge/619162

• LMAO 1

derpmonster

Admission tests currently don't test ability well at all. There's a reason people from poor backgrounds (which tend to be disproportionately poc) score lower: it's not because they're dumb, it's because they don't have access to the prep, coaching, and study material.

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 5

IcePrincess
1 minute ago, derpmonster said:

and study material.

It's 2019. Not 1995.

Everyone has internet connection somewhere, somehow. Everyone knows how to use instagram/whatsapp so they know how to use wikipedia or google. If you want to gain knowledge you have REALLY easy access to it. 

• LMAO 1

mauvais

I study at UCLA and that's fine with me. I don't see why SAT/ACT scores are a freshman requirement if transfer students don't need scores to distinguish themselves from other applicants with similar GPAs. Meritocracy is an illusion and middle class parents are out of their f-cking minds for supporting the SAT/ACT test prep cottage industry. 

You're mad weird if you care about this but you haven't attended a UC.

GypsyBabe

I always got great grades and was in all accelerated classes all through my life yet scored very average on my SATs. The scores weren't amazing so I retook the test 2 times and did progressively worse each time. Yet my friend, who will self report as being a below average student, did far better than me. I think they are a ridiculous measure of aptitude and ability to learn.

I feel this way with nursing tests as well. They are testing your ability to TEST, and not your knowledge. My professors have even said as much. I see so many peers who are bright, dedicated, understand the material, quick thinkers under crisis, and who excel at clinical being cut from the program due to testing...especially those for which english is a second language. They complain that nursing has no diversity and is still 84% white, and this contributes. White suburban students have consistently had better access to standardized test taking skills.

⚯͛

Edited by GypsyBabe
⚯͛
  • Like 2

Oshawott

And y'all wonder why I'm a Republican. This era of SJWs and snowflakes needs to end.

200.gif

• LMAO 3

LateToCult

Nah. Tests shouldn’t be dropped. People need to be weeded out. STEM courses in particular can be very rigorous and test results serve a purpose of getting people who would have struggled in the field into a new path.

• LMAO 2

ltlmnstr

Wow more people to block on here

Edited by ltlmnstr
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

KatieJudasGaga4
28 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

And y'all wonder why I'm a Republican.

Still wondering why

My Holy Trinity: Lady Gaga, Imagine Dragons, Mariah Carey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Economy
44 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

I always got great grades and was in all accelerated classes all through my life yet scored very average on my SATs. The scores weren't amazing so I retook the test 2 times and did progressively worse each time. Yet my friend, who will self report as being a below average student, did far better than me. I think they are a ridiculous measure of aptitude and ability to learn. 

A lot of tests are very falable

its like IQ tests. They only give u a vague idea of intelligence but theres too many variables these tests cant account for and have a huge margin for error

thats why i dont trust them

• Like 4

GypsyBabe
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

A lot of tests are very falable

its like IQ tests. They only give u a vague idea of intelligence but theres too many variables these tests cant account for and have a huge margin for error

thats why i dont trust them

Exactly. 

Edited by GypsyBabe
⚯͛
  • Like 2

SamanthaC

I think admissions tests can be dropped altogether.  They don't serve much of a purpose except to be a money making scheme.  

While I understand the argument that not all courses are equal so that you can't just rely on grades, I just don't think admissions tests are the best judge either.

This coming from someone who's entire worth as a teacher is based on a test taken by 4th graders, one day, once a year.  (I'm literally given a number based on that as to if I'm an effective teacher or not.)

The entire standardized testing process is messed up.

You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

LateToCult
6 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

I think admissions tests can be dropped altogether.  They don't serve much of a purpose except to be a money making scheme.  

While I understand the argument that not all courses are equal so that you can't just rely on grades, I just don't think admissions tests are the best judge either.

This coming from someone who's entire worth as a teacher is based on a test taken by 4th graders, one day, once a year.  (I'm literally given a number based on that as to if I'm an effective teacher or not.)

The entire standardized testing process is messed up.

Maybe tests could be dropped for students looking into liberal arts majors but they shouldn’t be dropped for everyone. Classrooms have seat capacities and not everyone would do well in them. You’d end up getting lots of people who fail or drop, which would be thousands of dollars wasted for those students.

A real solution would be restructuring where money goes and working on expanding departments. This would give students who were turned away because of capacity a shot. Schools like UCLA get over a hundred thousand applicants. A combo of test results and and a holistic review are already in place but the real problem is that there just isn’t enough space.

• Like 1