Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

525.000 people in Barcelona protest

Featured Posts

Varys

More than half a million people have participated in a series of mass rallies in Barcelona called in protest at the jailing of nine pro-Catalan independence leadersover their roles in the failed push for secession two years ago.

Earlier, workers in Catalonia downed tools, shops were closed and activists blocked roads in a general strike, while tens of thousands of people who marched from across the region began converging in Barcelona.

Their presence brought the city to a standstill before a huge demonstration began at 5pm local time. The entrance to the Catalan capital’s most famous landmark – the Sagrada Familia church – was blocked by pro-independence protesters and 57 flights were cancelled at Barcelona-El Prat airport. Barcelona police said about 525,000 people were taking part in the demonstrations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/18/catalonia-general-strike-protests-independence

Edited by Varys
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 3

Varys
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

Independence talk always leads to stuff like this :duck:

It can be peaceful like czechia and slovakia. Or the scottish referendum was also peaceful. 

Europe should condemn Spain. We all now if this was hungary or poland europe would sanction them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Lord Temptation

Yassss decentralise the world :kiss:

Locavores unite :pawsup:

Peace is the only true protest :sis:

Andreu

I find hard to believe there were not a couple hundred thousands more but nonetheless veeery proud of my people :applause: very proud that they have stood up and for multiple days with sooo much against us like the mass media that twist the reality so much its unbearable. The only think that makes me a little sad is that I am in another country and I can not be there with my people. 

I also have been wanting to make a thread on the topic for some days but I wanted to avoid the fact it could turn into unfair backlash for us. Hope this thread goes well :pawsup:

soundcloud.com/andreusongs
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Andreu

And if you dont mind me going a little off topic, let me add a picture of my hometown Lleida: 140-150k inhabitants, 45k  people in the streets today :applause: feeling very proud if my city

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Miracle
38 minutes ago, Economy said:

Independence talk always leads to stuff like this :duck:

It's called people acting like citizens and fighting for their rights, which include the right of the people to determine their nation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Varys
7 minutes ago, Andreu said:

I find hard to believe there were not a couple hundred thousands more but nonetheless veeery proud of my people :applause: very proud that they have stood up and for multiple days with sooo much against us like the mass media that twist the reality so much its unbearable. The only think that makes me a little sad is that I am in another country and I can not be there with my people. 

I also have been wanting to make a thread on the topic for some days but I wanted to avoid the fact it could turn into unfair backlash for us. Hope this thread goes well :pawsup:

Your cause is being postively portrait in belgian media at least :vegas:

Edited by Varys
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Andreu

Btw @Varys this is the number that the police said and the police tend to say a number thats ridiculously low. 

• Thanks 1

Andreu
7 minutes ago, Varys said:

Your cause is being postively portrait in belgian media at least :vegas:

Its what we deserve :flower:

i told you the other day already I was  a little skeptic towards the fact the rest of Europe would care but obviously being portrayed positively is something thats always v positive

• Like 1

Autumn

I'm not Catalan, nor Spanish but I understand that every people should have the right to self determination. The very fact that Rajoy's government (and the current government) were refusing to give Catalonia a legal referendum show that they know they won't win. But peace and freedom will win in the end 

• formerly ARealWildMan, WarriorPhoenix •

Varys
2 hours ago, Andreu said:

Its what we deserve :flower:

i told you the other day already I was  a little skeptic towards the fact the rest of Europe would care but obviously being portrayed positively is something thats always v positive

Even the chair woman of our liberal party has called the jailing ondemocratic. But am actually only speaking about flemish media and politicians. I dont know what the positions of our french parties are tbh because they are much more in favor of an unionist Belgium and speaking in favor of the Catalans would not be well received by their base

Edited by Varys