💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Unpopular Opinion: Gaga Does Not Have A Very Distinctive Voice

Economy

Featured Posts

The Z
Just now, Economy said:

Now that u mention it yeah they do sound alike. I cab still tell them apart in the song tho

2 artists i struggle with tbh is Rihanna vs Beyonce... Beyonce sings better overall but i find the sound simmilar.

If its not a song i know, i often cant tell right away if its Rihanna or Beyonce. Usually if its Beyonce after a while i can tell cuz Rihanna cant sing that well :laughga:

To me Rih and Bey have two completely different voices :wtfga:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
2 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Well Rihanna & Katy aren't bad (Rihanna is pretty good actually). They often lack control of her voice, but sometimes (fortunately lmaooooo) they kill it

Katy i think sounds better than Rihanna in the recorded polished studio versions of the songs...

but when its live Rihanna is preferable to Katy

Economy
1 minute ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

To me Rih and Bey have two completely different voices :wtfga:

To me they sound alike :sweat:

crybrowz

I agree. Esp during the TF and TFM eras before I was a stan I would hear her songs on the radio and not know they were by her until I saw her name attached to it somewhere. Imo her timbre has become more distinct over the last few years but there is still nothing super unique about it. That's why very few people can do a good impersonation bc there's really nothing to try to replicate like with other artists (Britney's nasally voice, Xtina's growling, etc)

Economy
3 minutes ago, Amphetamine said:

I agree. Esp during the TF and TFM eras before I was a stan I would hear her songs on the radio and not know they were by her until I saw her name attached to it somewhere. Imo her timbre has become more distinct over the last few years but there is still nothing super unique about it. That's why very few people can do a good impersonation bc there's really nothing to try to replicate like with other artists (Britney's nasally voice, Xtina's growling, etc)

Ur a great proof of what i was trying to say since u werent always a fan

we fans can acknowledge because were very familiar with the voice but most of the GP cant recognize it off the bat until they see that its a song by Gaga

it doesnt mean it isnt a fabulous sounding voice, but its a very good generic voice

Economy
1 minute ago, Runway said:

It must be because ASIB smashed not Gaga

Azerbaijan is shook :duck:

mikesoa

My friends are the other way around! They cant recognize other voices but they can tell when its gaga right away

Economy
6 minutes ago, mikesoa said:

My friends are the other way around! They cant recognize other voices but they can tell when its gaga right away

I guess theres always exeptions like that other users mom :selena:

ear condom
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree. For us fans of course her voice is recognisable but it lacks unique/ rare characteristics that make a voice stand out. There is nothing wrong with it though, she has a lot of many other positives.

then how do you explain that : 

LilyLark

Meh, not having a very distinct voice doesn't mean her voice is generic. There's a middle ground between "completely unique" and "generic." Also, there's a scale of "distinct/unique" traits when it comes to a voice. Gaga isn't Cher or Amy when it comes to having a unique sound (who would be a 10 on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to sounding "distinctive"), but she still has some distinct traits.

Plus, unique/distinctive doesn't necessarily equal excellence in terms of singing ability. I love Amy Winehouse, but vocally (from a objective, not subjective viewpoint) she doesn't come close to Gaga, Beyonce, or even Adele and Cher. What people loved about Amy is her tone, not her range or technique. A lot of times people judge singers on tone, too—there are plenty of singers with little range/bad technique but who are considered excellent/good because they have a pleasing and/or unique tone.

I think part of the reason Gaga, Whitney, Beyonce, Ariana, etc. might not have as "distinct" of a sound is because they were/are highly trained, too, and had/have amazing technique—and they like/liked to flex this in and illustrate their ability to sing in different styles.  Beyonce, for example, can easily shift between growls, a smooth lower register, and a higher register (Daddy Lessons vs. Love On Top). Some singers, in comparison, stick to a particular tone/style because that is what they are known for even though they can sing in different styles (like Cher), and other times they can't really break out of a particular range/tone/etc. (Amy). Also, a lot of times, to get a particular tone, singers "purposefully" embrace bad technique—Mariah's vocal issues are in part because she insisted on "whisper" singing all the time.

I just asked a non-fan and they said they think her voice is unique but not distinctive..so... :oprah: 

LordEnigma
1 hour ago, Economy said:

I guess theres always exeptions like that other users mom :selena:

I’m so confused by this thread. You say it’s an unpopular opinion but then state it as a fact that her voice is not distinctive :huntyga: 

Archived