💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Unpopular Opinion: Gaga Does Not Have A Very Distinctive Voice

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

Dont get me wrong. Im NOT saying she doesnt have an amazing voice. She has great vocal range, good technique and versatility, she can sing just about any genre

However in terms of distinctiveness, I think in that aspect Gaga doesnt really have that category pinned.

Most of the GP cannot instantly recognize a song is from Lady Gaga until they see the name and tbh if I wasnt a big fan i probably wouldnt either.

Even my parents as well as friends who dont listen to a tone of big artists can instantly tell some singers voices like Eminem, Adele, Britney Spears and even Katy Perry but never Gaga

Again how distinct a voice is has nothing to do with how good it is. You can have a distinct easy to recognize voice and still sound like crap 

I think Gaga has a great sounding voice but sounds generic. A top quality and super talented generic mind u but still basic neverthless in terms of uniqueness

Fell free to discuss and disagree but dont kill me for my opinion :sweat:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FfFfFfFF

I agree. For us fans of course her voice is recognisable but it lacks unique/ rare characteristics that make a voice stand out. There is nothing wrong with it though, she has a lot of many other positives.

AlexanderMagno

I don't find it unpopular at all. It's like you say, great voice doesn't mean distinctive voice. And distinctive voice doesn't mean great voice.

Britney Spears was named a few years ago (sorry can't remember where) the most distinctive voice in pop music. Because indeed she has a very specific tone. Doesn't mean she can even sing.

Gaga wants the powerhouse vocals recognition, and I think it's really hard to have that and keep a distinctive tone. Whitney Houston had a terrific voice, but if you don't know that's one of her songs you will need some time to be sure it's Whitney singing.

It's a choice. Gaga chose the vocal technique (there's a reason why people criticise Adele for the lack of it, and yet she keeps her voice quite distinctive).

Economy
10 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

I don't find it unpopular at all. It's like you say, great voice doesn't mean distinctive voice. And distinctive voice doesn't mean great voice.

Britney Spears was named a few years ago (sorry can't remember where) the most distinctive voice in pop music. Because indeed she has a very specific tone. Doesn't mean she can even sing.

Gaga wants the powerhouse vocals recognition, and I think it's really hard to have that and keep a distinctive tone. Whitney Houston had a terrific voice, but if you don't know that's one of her songs you will need some time to be sure it's Whitney singing.

It's a choice. Gaga chose the vocal technique (there's a reason why people criticise Adele for the lack of it, and yet she keeps her voice quite distinctive).

Yeah Britney is definitely very distinct. No other major artist has that tone. Its very easy to recognize. Gaga not so much

good point about whitney huston

An aritist with good voice tho that is also distinct tho in my opinion is Adele and definitely Christina Aguilera

11 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree. For us fans of course her voice is recognisable but it lacks striking unique characteristics.There is nothing wrong with it though, she has a lot of many other pluses.

Agreed. We know her voice well so we recognize it but most people i know cannot...

they literally have to find out the name of the song and see that its sung but Gaga

Most people would consider Gaga a better vocalist than 90% or more of mainstream music artiststs but it doesnt mean its easy to recognize 

Sour Jube

I think it is very distinct. Though, because she's such a genius with artistic reinvention, you get  it in many different forms! And she is not afraid to try different voices if it fits the song/lyric.

dynamite

She doesn't have a very unique tone like Anastacia, Britney, Shakira etc but I think it is somewhat distinctive. 

giskardsb

I think it only seems that way because she changes vocal approach so often she hasn’t given a specific style for people to lock in on. 

However listen to Speechless or ARUTW and I can’t think of anyone that sounds he same. 

Also highly trained voices do take on some similarity of tonal color. It’s why XTina and Gaga can sound similar. 

Lemondeduerl

Ummm... but I've never seen a vocally well done impression of Gaga. Britney, Rihanna, Ariana or Shakira have a unique tone but easy to imitate. But no one can do Gaga's voice. If there is a really good impresonator show me. (Not shade I really haven't seen anyone)

:)

derpmonster

People can't recognize it because she's a shapeshifter, she's skilled like that. 

Also, sorry, I can never tell Adele from other soul/blues singers with low voices. :toofunny:

Gaga does have a very particular voice imo, but one she can do a lot of things with. When she does her signature heavy belts and low notes, you can instantly tell it's her. She sounds different from most female pop singers but she also sounds different across her own songs. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Economy
2 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

I think it only seems that way because she changes vocal approach so often she hasn’t given a specific style for people to lock in on. 

However listen to Speechless or ARUTW and I can’t think of anyone that sounds he same. 

Also highly trained voices do take on some similarity of tonal color. It’s why XTina and Gaga can sound similar. 

Thats a good theory. Hard to test tho without her sticking to one style

i do know of all the big artists shes one of the artists ppl have a harder time recognizing and i myself havent found her tone super unique either

but ur thought there could be a partial explanation. 

Economy
1 minute ago, Lemondeduerl said:

Ummm... but I've never seen a vocally well done impression of Gaga. Britney, Rihanna, Ariana or Shakira have a unique tone but easy to imitate. But no one can do Gaga's voice. If there is a really good impresonator show me. (Not shade I really haven't seen anyone)

Well if a voice sounds generic  would that not actually make it harder to impersonate? :huh:

Cuz u dont have this unique tone to try to mimick... its just gonna sound like a regular voice a lot of people sound like :shrug:

The Z

I agree (except when she growls) but my mom can't stop saying that her voice is very distinctive… So what's the truth? :oprah:

Archived