Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Texas Prefers Dem Candidate Over Trump, Sanders Leads

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

Texas voters prefer a Democratic candidate over President Donald Trump, according to a new Univision News-University of Houston pollreleased Tuesday.

If a Democratic presidential candidate wins Texas next year, it would be the first time since 1976, when Jimmy Carter ran for his first White House term, that a party nominee triumphed in the state.

The poll, conducted between August 30 and September 6, found 42 percent of Texans planning to vote for Trump and 47 percent of all Texans planning to vote for a Democratic presidential candidate.

Trump beat Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton 52-43 percent in 2016.

Senator Bernie Sanders, a Vermont independent, held the biggest lead over Trump in the poll, 48-42 percent. Former Vice President Joe Biden topped Trump, 48-43 percent.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts led Trump 44-42 percent. Sen. Kamala Harris of California was ahead 45-44 percent. Texas’ Democratic primary is scheduled for March 3.

Election analysts are watching the reactions of Latino voters in Texas with a critical eye ahead of the 2020 election, and some believe Latino voters can make a crucial difference in the election’s outcome.

Twenty-eight percent of eligible Texas voters are Hispanic, according to the Pew Research Center, and the number of Texas Latinos who actually vote has been rising.

Source: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/campaigns/article234904742.html

Edited by Marilyn MonHoe
  • YAAAS 11
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1

derpmonster

Texas is much more blue and liberal leaning than people realize. It's the gerrymandering and explosion of votes from rural areas that gives Republicans an unfair advantage. Texas is actually even racially diverse compared to much of the South but oh well.

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 7
  • YAAAS 1

OG Gaga Stan

But I thought leftists don't do well in red states? Isn't that what the Democratic party and moderate voters keep yelling at us? :ally:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Morphine Prince

I live in Texas and.... I would like to see it. 

Texas is slowly voting more blue in certain areas but it would be a miracle for a Dem to win here in 2020. 

Edited by Morphine Prince
Thought I could fly, so I stepped off the Golden
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

LateToCult

Texas was also allegedly up for grabs for Hillary. If a shift happens it would probably only be for Biden or another candidate that’s to the center. Warren, Sanders, Yang don’t really have a chance. I mean, Beto is as center as they come and he still couldn’t unseat Ted.

Marilyn MonHoe
15 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Texas was also allegedly up for grabs for Hillary. If a shift happens it would probably only be for Biden or another candidate that’s to the center. Warren, Sanders, Yang don’t really have a chance. I mean, Beto is as center as they come and he still couldn’t unseat Ted.

According to this poll you would be wrong :oops:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Marilyn MonHoe
25 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

Texas is much more blue and liberal leaning than people realize. It's the gerrymandering and explosion of votes from rural areas that gives Republicans an unfair advantage. Texas is actually even racially diverse compared to much of the South but oh well.

If Republicans weren’t able to gerrymander and suppress the minority vote, they would almost never win any elections :huntyga:

Edited by Marilyn MonHoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marilyn MonHoe
24 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

But I thought leftists don't do well in red states? Isn't that what the Democratic party and moderate voters keep yelling at us? :ally:

Yup the same moderates that lost to the most unpopular person in American politics in 2016. Who cares what they think :ladyhaha:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TheQueenLG

I find this hard to believe, tbh.  But if this is corroborated by more reports/polling, of course I will believe it... After all, I'm not a forever Trumper that just chooses to ignore reality. :trollga:

Edited by TheQueenLG

LateToCult
3 minutes ago, Marilyn MonHoe said:

According to this poll you would be wrong :oops:

Are we back to taking early polls as concrete evidence of who will win the presidency? In order for a Dem to actually win Texas they would have to do some flipping. Even with a low turnout for Ted Cruz  and high turnout for Beto he still won. I have a hard time believing Trump is so unliked in the conservative districts that the same low turnout is going to help the Dems or that conservatives will slide that far too the left.

M Monstre

I live in Texas and I can assure you that things here are moving in a more progressive/liberal direction. Whether or not it's enough to win enough votes during the general election is debatable, but it's for sure that things are moving more blue here. 

This election cycle will be my first chance at voting, and the same goes for a lot of my peers. A lot of younger Texans are leaning more liberal now than ever before. Of course there will always be young people who are conservatives (especially in Texas), but I wouldn't bank on Texas being a strong-red state for much longer. 

We saw that within 2018 election that Beto nearly won against Cruz. In a state like Texas, Cruz should've easily taken it, but it was a head-strong battle for a while. 

Edited by M Monstre
  • Like 1

Marilyn MonHoe
27 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Are we back to taking early polls as concrete evidence of who will win the presidency? In order for a Dem to actually win Texas they would have to do some flipping. Even with a low turnout for Ted Cruz  and high turnout for Beto he still won. I have a hard time believing Trump is so unliked in the conservative districts that the same low turnout is going to help the Dems or that conservatives will slide that far too the left.

The topic isn’t about the presidency, it is about Democrats that win over Trump in Texas. You said that most likely only a center Democrat could win over Trump but this poll proves you wrong. That’s it :oops:

Postboy
47 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

You acknowledged that a status quo centrist lost to Trump, but you’re also saying that the equivalent status quo centrist of this race has the best chance of winning...

People aren’t stuck on Biden because he’s a centrist and voters love centrism. 

Biden is hanging on, despite his millions of gaffes and deteriorating ability to even speak, because of name recognition and the association with Obama. There’s absolutely nothing inspiring about his platform - not to Republicans or republican leaning independents. 

This isn’t as ideological as people make it out to be. If the poor white working class is going to vote for a democrat, it’s more likely going to be someone who will alleviate their economic stress through progressive policies - not the candidate who offers more of the same. 

• Like 2

LateToCult
4 minutes ago, Marilyn MonHoe said:

The topic isn’t about the presidency, it is about Democrats that win over Trump in Texas. You said that most likely only a center Democrat could win over Trump but this poll proves you wrong. That’s it :oops:

The topic is about the presidency. When do you think Texans will vote for either Trump or the dem nominee? The primary?

I say a center nominee is the best chance for a dem to win Texas because that’s what the past points to. We’ve already seen a moderate face off against a far left candidate in Texas. The moderate (Hillary) won by a landslide against a far left candidate (Bernie) in the democratic primary. Clearly dems in Texas aren’t quite as left as we’re making them out to be. We saw another moderate come close to unseating a republican incubate but that was under favorable circumstances for the moderate (Beto), which shouldn’t be automatically expected to happen again.

Texas is becoming more progressive but you guys are now expecting something much greater from the state in such a short amount of time.

10 minutes ago, Postboy said:

You acknowledged that a status quo centrist lost to Trump, but you’re also saying that the equivalent status quo centrist of this race has the best chance of winning...

People aren’t stuck on Biden because he’s a centrist and voters love centrism. 

Biden is hanging on, despite his millions of gaffes and deteriorating ability to even speak, because of name recognition and the association with Obama. There’s absolutely nothing inspiring about his platform - not to Republicans or republican leaning independents. 

This isn’t as ideological as people make it out to be. If the poor white working class is going to vote for a democrat, it’s more likely going to be someone who will alleviate their economic stress through progressive policies - not the candidate who offers more of the same. 

*see the 2016 Texas Democratic Primary results*