💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

2019 Is Disney Year In Movies, Broke Its Own Global Box Office Records

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

waltdisneylogo.jpg

Predictions of Disney’s box office domination in 2019 has proven to be all too true, as the studio has broken its own all-time annual global box office record in just seven months thanks to Marvel films like “Avengers: Endgame” and its latest release, “The Lion King.”

The previous record had been set by Disney back in 2016, the year when it began to show off the power it had accumulated through its acquisition of several major franchises. Films like Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “Rogue One,” Marvel Studios’ “Captain America: Civil War,” Pixar’s “Finding Dory” and Disney Animation’s “Zootopia” combined for the first ever $3 billion domestic year and a global annual total of $7.61 billion worldwide.

But in 2019, Disney has blown by that total in seven months… but really in just four. Unlike in 2016, when Disney got off to a good start thanks to the lingering presence of “The Force Awakens” after its holiday 2015 release, the studio didn’t have a huge holiday moneymaker to get things going early this year. Holiday holdovers “Mary Poppins Returns” and “Ralph Breaks the Internet” combined for only $90 million after New Year’s Day.

But once “Captain Marvel” released in March, Disney was off to the races with $1.12 billion worldwide. Then, “Avengers: Endgame” passed that film’s entire global run in just its opening weekend and went on to pass “Avatar” as the highest grossing film of all-time with $2.79 billion.

After the Marvel one-two punch came a pair of remakes of Disney Renaissance classics: “Aladdin” and “The Lion King.” While they were received tepidly at best by critics, they too were global hits as “Aladdin” passed the $1 billion mark this past Friday. “The Lion King” has been even bigger, as it is set to pass $1 billion worldwide after just two weekends in U.S. theaters. The only misstep Disney has had this year is another remake: “Dumbo,” a $170 million blockbuster that “only” grossed $352 million worldwide.

Completing Disney’s dominant summer is Pixar’s latest installment in its crown jewel series, “Toy Story 4,” which has earned $917 million worldwide so far and will at least pass the domestic run of “Toy Story 3.” That means that starting with the release of “Captain Marvel” on March 8, Disney has grossed a whopping $7.1 billion worldwide from just six films released over a 20-week span.

And Disney is far from done. In the final quarter of the year, it will release three more films starting in October with “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil,” the sequel to the 2014 “Sleeping Beauty” reimagining starring Angelina Jolie. Then, in November, Disney Animation will release the highly anticipated “Frozen II,” the sequel to a $1.3 billion hit that has earned the popularity of “The Lion King” among a new generation. And to cap off the year, Lucasfilm will return in December with “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.”

“Frozen II” is expected to be another $1 billion hit, and “The Rise of Skywalker” is expected to earn at least $500 million worldwide in its opening. All told, Disney will likely finish the year with over $9 billion in global box office grosses, with a chance at $10 billion.

Between this box office domination and its forthcoming launch of Disney+, the Mouse’s dominance doesn’t look like it’s going away anytime soon.

TL;DR: Disney have earned $7.67+ billions gross in only 4 months in 2019, beating their own record in 2016 $7.61 billion gross in one whole year.

Full articles at Sources:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/07/06/disney-tops-57-billion-in-global-box-office-in-first-half-of-2019/

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-global-box-office-record/

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/07/29/disneys-global-ticket-sales-hit-a-record-7point7-billion-in-2019.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/media/disney-box-office-record-year/index.html

Truly remarkable year for Disney. And there are still few more fan favourites movies to come! Congrats! :applause:

Next year will be not that easy but they will still be major player, I suppose, with Mulan and more coming. :flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Runway

Kinda interesting as  their box office number go up, the more panned their movies become

Versace

I mean how else will they make back the money they spent on the FOX assets

They purposely made it so that 2019 would be choke-full of the biggest blockbusters 

and with the launch of Disney+ their streaming service this year as well

They gotta make back that $71.3 Billion lol 

RAMROD
6 minutes ago, Versace said:

I mean how else will they make back the money they spent on the FOX assets

They purposely made it so that 2019 would be choke-full of the biggest blockbusters 

and with the launch of Disney+ their streaming service this year as well

They gotta make back that $71.3 Billion lol 

They did smart business then :flower:

RAMROD
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Spend it all on your themeparks, Disney!

GentleAnchoredCob-size_restricted.gif

Yessss! Do many more rides and land expansions :flower:

JustinTrudeau

Low-key pissed that Endgame did so well.

Of course it would after 10 years of movie releases, and after re-releasing with an extra 7 minutes scene which if I understand correctly, didn't add anything of value. 

Spoiler:

Spoiler

I heard the scene was just the remaining Avengers and heros in the MCU kneeing after Iron Man died on the battlefield. Some people called it moving and emotional but I- it's doesn't add anything *new* since he also had a funeral and a monolog video for his family was shown.

I just... I'm tired of Disney getting so much when there isn't any other competitor on their level. It's almost scary how much hype and money they get.

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

RAMROD
3 minutes ago, JustinTrudeau said:

Don't be, it's a great movie. Be happy this decade have great pop culture symbol, just like Star Wars were in the 80s.

And it is one of the darkest yet for Disney movies.

It might goes over your head, but the PTSD, hopelessness, and depression were thick in that movie. It was glum throught, until he tables turned on third acts. 

Reality
24 minutes ago, JustinTrudeau said:

Of course it would after 10 years of movie releases, and after re-releasing with an extra 7 minutes scene which if I understand correctly, didn't add anything of value. 

Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

I heard the scene was just the remaining Avengers and heros in the MCU kneeing after Iron Man died on the battlefield. Some people called it moving and emotional but I- it's doesn't add anything *new* since he also had a funeral and a monolog video for his family was shown.

I just... I'm tired of Disney getting so much when there isn't any other competitor on their level. It's almost scary how much hype and money they get.

Well, you can't necessarily use the re-release to complain about why Endgame did so well when Avatar did a similar thing.

As for that particular deleted scene [and I'm not going to bother using spoilers because the movie's been out for like 3 months now], the Russo brothers said that the reason why they deleted it was because Tony got a funeral and they felt like having a "pseudo-funeral" and then an actual funeral would be too much. I completely understand why they did that, and while I personally would've liked to see it in the movie, I understand.

As for Disney and their competitors...quite honestly, until another studio puts out something worth people going to see, I don't understand why people continually complain about how big Disney is getting. Disney's only doing so well because we  go out to see their movies. If we didn't do that, they wouldn't be the juggernaut they are today. I mean, Warner Bros. has great  properties at their disposal—they have Marvel's #1 competitor—yet they continually botch their movies and fail to make anything stick.

🃏🖤👹

Archived