Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Israel gets its first openly gay party leader

Featured Posts

Melech

Israel’s Meretz party became the first to elect as its leader an openly gay person.

The left-wing party picked Nitzan Horowitz as its new head on Thursday in Tel Aviv.

Horowitz, a former journalist who served in the Knesset in 2009-2015, defeated incumbent Tamar Zandberg.

“Meretz doesn’t treat members of the LGBTQ community as fig leaves,” he said following his election. “We will fight for our freedom to live a free life and have equal rights in this country.

The new party leader said he would prioritize fighting religious coercion and supporting social justice in his new role.

There have been reports that former Prime Minister Ehud Barak, who announced on Wednesday that he would form a new political party, is looking to form a coalition with the Labor and Meretz parties.

Earlier this month, Israel got its first openly gay government minister when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appointed Amir Ohana to serve as Justice Minister.

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/israels-meretz-party-becomes-first-to-elect-an-openly-gay-leader/amp

wig

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 7
  • Shook 1

Buddy

Israel is the only place in the Middle East that somewhat accepts LGBT and provides us rights, which is why it always confuses me how so many gays tend to be so anti-Israel. Yes, we should speak against Israel if violations of human rights are committed. But to despise and wish for the demise of the only pro-LGBT nation of the Middle East as an LGBT member, is so mind boggling to me.

I can't  get my head around how any gay can pro-Palestine, a territory where it is illegal to be gay, where gay Palestinians have had to flee to evade honor killings, torture, being thrown off rooftops, hanging, killing by fire squad. 1% of the population there believe homosexuality should be acceptable. %1. Yes, I am against all violations of humans rights against Palestinians, but where are ours? Most would choose to wipe us off the face of the Earth. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reginald

:applause: a victory for their LGBTQIA citizens. Hopefully his voice has influence regarding ending the absolutely ghastly humanitarian crisis though.... 

Dedicated
  • Like 1

pachinko
5 minutes ago, Reginald said:

:applause: a victory for their LGBTQIA citizens. Hopefully his voice has influence regarding ending the absolutely ghastly humanitarian crisis though.... 

What does the I stand for?

Reginald
Just now, pachinko said:

What does the I stand for?

Intersex, which is when an individual is born with both male and female reproductive organs. It replaces an outdated offensive term, hermaphrodite

Dedicated

Mr Mirko
37 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Israel is the only place in the Middle East that somewhat accepts LGBT and provides us rights, which is why it always confuses me how so many gays tend to be so anti-Israel. Yes, we should speak against Israel if violations of human rights are committed. But to despise and wish for the demise of the only pro-LGBT nation of the Middle East as an LGBT member, is so mind boggling to me.

I can't  get my head around how any gay can pro-Palestine, a territory where it is illegal to be gay, where gay Palestinians have had to flee to evade honor killings, torture, being thrown off rooftops, hanging, killing by fire squad. 1% of the population there believe homosexuality should be acceptable. %1. Yes, I am against all violations of humans rights against Palestinians, but where are ours? Most would choose to wipe us off the face of the Earth. 

speak out buddy, preach. Not just you. Imagine the women rights in those areas. You know what girls are telling me ? That it is their right to rule THAT WAY (according to some books I do not want to mention). Imagine how senseless and ignorant people can be. 

• Like 2

Biggest Fan

I thought Israel was not acceptable of homosexuality 

:triggered:

shocking

Melech
1 hour ago, Biggest Fan said:

I thought Israel was not acceptable of homosexuality 

:triggered:

shocking

you should check out pride in Tel Aviv! It’s huge! 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Biggest Fan
2 hours ago, Melech said:

you should check out pride in Tel Aviv! It’s huge! 

Let me check it out. 

Thanks never imagine it, I’ve heard gay persons face discrimination as-well as in Palestine they kill them  

What about their Religion aren’t they Jewish ?

Hmmm

Melech
Just now, Biggest Fan said:

Let me check it out. 

Thanks never imagine it, I’ve heard gay persons face discrimination as-well as in Palestine they kill them  

What about their Religion aren’t they Jewish ?

Hmmm

Yes the majority is Jewish. :) During pride whole Tel Aviv is gay. It’s really worth a visit! 

• Thanks 1

gumzy3000
22 hours ago, Buddy said:

Palestinians don’t even have a chance to think about such things, they are merely trying to survive and get food and water. You can not compare their views to Israels views on homosexuality because Israel is extremely developed and the people their have the opportunity to grow, learn and challenge their opinions on controversial topics. 

I am gay but I’m not pro Israel nor am I pro Palestine. It would be an ignorant think to say as this situation is so complex. What I will say is that killing people, especially children is absolutely not okay and Israel has killed many more Palestinians then they have killed Israelis. I’m not playing the number game but Israel bombs Palestine with huge bombs, steals lands (YouTube This) and cuts the electricity and food supply of the Palestinians time to time. It’s disgusting. Palestine is severely underdeveloped and I do not expect them to debate topics like homosexuality when they don’t even have food, water, electricity or safety. 

• Like 1

Melech
4 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

YouTube This

Oh yes the reliable source