đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

No gaga album has blended genres as well as Born This Way

FentyGa

Featured Posts

gagzus
Just now, AJRocketMan said:

Do What U Want. The arpeggiated synth arrangement is very much a Synthwave characteristic, as well as it being midtempo, having a dense beat, and an overall complex instrumental.

I can see that since it is reminiscent to that song DJWS copies the arrangement and some chords from but it’s primarily composed as an R&B song ultimately. It’s more Synthpop than synthwave i’d say because it doesn’t sound as 80s as many their synthwave songs do (ala Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics or anything by the Pet Shop Boys ala 1980s) 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AJRocketMan
30 minutes ago, monster4life231 said:

I think the descriptions given were good. 80's pop has specific sounds (such as the use of the Linn Drum, or the DX7 synthesizer)  and the use of gated reverb. Latin pop uses a lot of acoustic guitar sounds. Gothic pop sounds like dark pop. European club beats also have specific features such as "strong bass rhythm and melodic hooks.".  EDM can also be classified as a genre, it's a wide name with encompasses a lot of different styles, but EDM can be used to broadly describe ARTPOP.  

There’s no such thing as “dark pop”. :air: It’s all relative. And so what if 80’s pop uses the Linn Drum and the DX7 synthesizer? I highly, highly doubt Born This Way uses those instruments. Born This Way isn’t even analogue for all I know. It’s digital. And 80’s pop can include a broad range of sounds: Rock, Dance, New Wave, R&B, Funk, you gotta get specific on what you’re talking about here. As for European club music having “a strong bass rhythm and melodic hooks”, I know that. I’m not stupid. I’m a musician. “European club music” is not a genre. What this dude is really talking about is House Music. Almost all the songs on the album have a House beat and rhythm (MTN, BTW, GH, Judas, Americano, Scheibe, Bad Kids, HML, Electric Chapel, maybe TEoG). Latin Pop very obviously has a lot of acoustic guitar in it’s sound. I know that. But Latin Pop can be Rock, R&B, Dance, or whatever. Very specific Latin Pop genres are flamenco, tejano, mariachi, salsa, reggaeton, bolero, merengue, cumbia, conga, mambo.... Those are the most widely heard ones internationally.

EDM refers to many things. It can mean an abbreviation for Electronic Dance Music, meaning any dance music that is electronic, or it could mean the culture/marketing gimmick (think of festivals and pool parties that play brostep and Dutch house like Excision and Martin Garrix) that encompasses a lifestyle that plays the music, or it could be referring to commercial big room house music (e.g. Swedish House Mafia and Calvin Harris). ARTPOP doesn’t really represent any of those outside of the first one. It is predominantly Electro-House. Only Gypsy is big room house.

MonsterMom

Ok, I do agree that you could pick all the BTW songs out of a line up because they do all have the same feeling to them. But as far as cohesiveness I actually think ARTPOP wins. Even though the songs do not all follow a similar style and flow like BTW, it tells a better story and takes you on a journey from beginning to end. I don’t see that flow with BTW. Not that anyone asked, I just like to talk about ARTPOP :oops:

AJRocketMan
34 minutes ago, gagzus said:

I can see that since it is reminiscent to that song DJWS copies the arrangement and some chords from but it’s primarily composed as an R&B song ultimately. It’s more Synthpop than synthwave i’d say because it doesn’t sound as 80s as many their synthwave songs do (ala Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics or anything by the Pet Shop Boys ala 1980s) 

Are you talking about “The Deep” from Dance With The Dead? Do What U Want was recorded before that actually. The final version is only similar in the first 45 seconds of the song.

The demo, on the other hand, is only similar to DWUW in the first 54 seconds.

The demo was uploaded on SoundCloud in March of 2013, and DWUW was written and recorded from October 2012 to February 2013. It apparently sat on the back burner for awhile after that. And it was actually Gaga who did the synth arrangement, not DJWS. :vegas: Any similarities between the two songs are just pure coincidence, since complex arpeggiated synth arrangements are a signature of Synthwave. I’d still call the song Synthwave, as synthpop is colder and sparser than Do What U Want is.

gagzus
1 hour ago, AJRocketMan said:

Are you talking about “The Deep” from Dance With The Dead? Do What U Want was recorded before that actually. The final version is only similar in the first 45 seconds of the song.

The demo, on the other hand, is only similar to DWUW in the first 54 seconds.

The demo was uploaded on SoundCloud in March of 2013, and DWUW was written and recorded from October 2012 to February 2013. It apparently sat on the back burner for awhile after that. And it was actually Gaga who did the synth arrangement, not DJWS. :vegas: Any similarities between the two songs are just pure coincidence, since complex arpeggiated synth arrangements are a signature of Synthwave. I’d still call the song Synthwave, as synthpop is colder and sparser than Do What U Want is.

Oh well then perhaps synthwave it is then, I guess all the songs can also be classified as Disco too (Fashion! and Venus are the obvious choices) because of all her music predominantly being Four on the Floor beats. I do believe she was also credited by MANY DJs for bringing FOTF back into pop music in 2008 and it has only just started evaporating with Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B becoming the main mainstream genre in the last year or two in the US (Europe however we’re still very into our House style music- especially Techno House in the club scene I think).

Also sidebar; I really want Gaga to make a French House album co-produced by Daft Punk, Nile and Moroder. That’s my dream Gaga album.

HotLikeMexico

All I have to say to you OP is YOU HIT THE MARK. YES YES YES to everything you said. 

HotLikeMexico
2 hours ago, gagzus said:

Every Gaga album bar The Fame is a mashup of multiple genres but ARTPOP is actually the one who managed to merge it together better than BTW I think. Like MANiCURE alone has 3 genres blended into one perfectly like come on

Also sidebar; there’s nothing remotely VAPOURWAVE on ARTPOP 💀 where did you get that from, there’s also absolutely nothing Dance or Alternative on Joanne. It’s 90% Pop-Rock with some country, folk and glam rock influences, there’s also nothing classical on The Fame Monster that was 90% Synthpop/Electropop (like The Fame) with some slight hip-hop, classic rock  and even a lil bit r&b. 

90% of Gaga’s solo catalogue is purely Pop-Rock or Electropop.

You know. Based off your post, I admit I imagined ARTPOP differently at the time it was released. I was the person that preferred swinefest over a lot of the final versions of those songs. And thought a lot of it would sound like that  

And then I imagined every other song on the album was a different genre of electronic music. And the whole album explored different types of electronic music. It was own damn fault at the time for making this fantasy in my head. 

like I imagined a song inspired by witch house like crystal castles, a outrun/synth wave electro (DWUW kinda did that as seen with the Dance with the Dead with the Dead Similiarity), I thought swine was going to blend EDM with Industrial music like “March of the Pigs” by Nine Inch Nails, and Sex Dreams and Manicure would’ve been the “Rock” songs but I Imagined Sex Dreams sounding like a rock song out of the 80s and totally imagined something with the Motley Crue or Def Leppard look. 

But maybe those electronic fantasies I had would’ve been the experimental Act II. A bitch could dream tho. 

this might be true but born this way is my least favorite album of hers. the production is extremely messy on most songs and it is mixed poorly. it sounds like they put it in a blender. however, i will admit the album has several gems such as judas, bloody mary, heavy metal lover, and government hooker. i think her best produced albums are the fame and ARTPOP

Stephen
26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

this might be true but born this way is my least favorite album of hers. the production is extremely messy on most songs and it is mixed poorly. it sounds like they put it in a blender. however, i will admit the album has several gems such as judas, bloody mary, heavy metal lover, and government hooker. i think her best produced albums are the fame and ARTPOP

A few songs sound that way but MOST? I really don't think so. Maybe it's just not your taste.

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Yasss we stan a demonic Queen!! :vegas:

tumblr_mh1tylrS681s1szpho1_500.gif

Noooo she didn't say this, did she? I really doubt it

Exactly why we need a BTW 2.0 

Just replace industrial/country sounds for more R&B and EDM.

6 hours ago, Steve Nasty said:

Agreed. I actually think the vastness of the sounds/influences adds to the power of the meaning of the album, which is all about the journey of life and finding your identity. It really feels like the album is everything, it's the whole world, it's a whole lifetime. It's hard to explain. If Gaga only released one album in her whole career it would have to be Born This Way. 

I have never seen this before!

Charles Manson
19 hours ago, FentyGa said:

ARTPOP was EDM, though there were elements of rock, R&B, pop, and vapourwave. It felt somewhat patchy, though. Like certain songs were mixed, but half the album was straight EDM.

How does ARTPOP have VAPORWAVE elements tho?  Can you explain?... I mean, not to be rude but you sound like u know nothing about vaporwave or just discovered it to be reaching like that 

19 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

This is inaccurate. “EDM” isn’t a genre. And ARTPOP didn’t have any vapor wave, it was Synthwave (two very different genres, screw the “wave”). Most of what you said is very vague and lacks specificity. Gothic pop? :oprah: Latin Pop? :oprah: 80’s Pop? :oprah: European club beats? What do you mean? All of these are too broad. Latin music, 80’s pop music, European club music, and gothic music can take on many difference sounds and styles. You gotta be less general with your classifications because it leads to confusion on the part of your readers.

nene leakes eye roll GIF

... ANYways.

OP: I agree 100% and that’s why Born This Way will always be my favorite album of all time, let alone fav Gaga album.

Archived