💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

No gaga album has blended genres as well as Born This Way

FentyGa

Featured Posts

FentyGa

Gaga's always been one to experiment.

The Fame was a mainly synthpop album, with influences of R&B, disco, and hip-hop/rap.

The Fame Monster was full on eurodance with synthpop, rock, and classical influences. A true precursor to Born This Way, just a little more messy.

ARTPOP was EDM, though there were elements of rock, R&B, pop, and vapourwave. It felt somewhat patchy, though. Like certain songs were mixed, but half the album was straight EDM.

Joanne spanned a variety of genres, though none shone through specifically. Dance, rock, jazz, country, alternative, and pop all influenced the record.

But none of them blended genres as seemlessly as Born This Way.

Though it's a pop album, it draws from a variety of sounds and musical styles.

The Edge Of Glory, one of the more sonically simple tracks, interplorates heavy aspects of rock, as do Bad Kids, Electric Chapel, and The Queen.

Bloody Mary takes from gothic pop, with monk chanting and demonic yelling.

Scheiße, Born This Way, Judas, Heavy Metal Lover, and various other tracks make use of heavy european dance/club beats.

Bad Kids and Born This Way are very much new wave pop songs.

Americano is mariachi/latin pop.

Fashion Of His Love, Bad Kids, The Queen, and Higheay Unicorn draw from the 80s pop sound.

Black Jesus + Amen Fashion's verses are very broadway/showtune inspired.

Yoü And I is a full on country/rock song, both lyrically and sonically.

Gaga also dared to venture into other territory with alternate versions of certain songs, including a Country Road Version of Born This Way, and various tracks in bollywood reincarnations.

I just think the album perfectly blends a variety of genres into each and every track, whichis part of what makes it such a work of genius.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TimisaMonster

I have to agree...and even tho every song had a unique sound...it all still felt like they each had the BTW sound in their DNA and wouldnt really fit on any other album...that's a truly cohesive album and another reason it truly is the album of the decade :ohwell:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Kimmo
4 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

Bloody Mary takes from gothic pop, with monk chanting and demonic yelling.

Yasss we stan a demonic Queen!! :vegas:

tumblr_mh1tylrS681s1szpho1_500.gif

Hottie Detector

The Z
10 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

it all still felt like they each had the BTW sound in their DNA and wouldnt really fit on any other album

I never thought about it but damn, that's so true! :O Even the outtakes (Then You'd Love Me & Stuck on ****in' You)sound very Born This Way, and I don't think any other Gaga track could've been on the album.

But if you think about it, it's also true for The Fame Monster (but it only has 8 tracks so…)

AJRocketMan

This is inaccurate. “EDM” isn’t a genre. And ARTPOP didn’t have any vapor wave, it was Synthwave (two very different genres, screw the “wave”). Most of what you said is very vague and lacks specificity. Gothic pop? :oprah: Latin Pop? :oprah: 80’s Pop? :oprah: European club beats? What do you mean? All of these are too broad. Latin music, 80’s pop music, European club music, and gothic music can take on many difference sounds and styles. You gotta be less general with your classifications because it leads to confusion on the part of your readers.

monster4life231
18 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

This is inaccurate. “EDM” isn’t a genre. And ARTPOP didn’t have any vapor wave, it was Synthwave (two very different genres, screw the “wave”). Most of what you said is very vague and lacks specificity. Gothic pop? :oprah: Latin Pop? :oprah: 80’s Pop? :oprah: European club beats? What do you mean? All of these are too broad. Latin music, 80’s pop music, European club music, and gothic music can take on many difference sounds and styles. You gotta be less general with your classifications because it leads to confusion on the part of your readers.

I think the descriptions given were good. 80's pop has specific sounds (such as the use of the Linn Drum, or the DX7 synthesizer)  and the use of gated reverb. Latin pop uses a lot of acoustic guitar sounds. Gothic pop sounds like dark pop. European club beats also have specific features such as "strong bass rhythm and melodic hooks.".  EDM can also be classified as a genre, it's a wide name with encompasses a lot of different styles, but EDM can be used to broadly describe ARTPOP.  

spread peace - #MJInnocent

sillynate

Oh my Lord you guys what if this blending of genres and creating unique and different sounds and bringing them together was done on purpose because lyrically the album is about being unique and different and coming together :nooo:

Mean Winchester

I have to agree with you. All Born this way songs are unique in their own ways. Yet, when there comes to the album, it was a perfection! This album deserves to be the album of Millenium. It's a celebration of love and freedom in the form of music. :oops:

lady gaga smile GIF

gagzus

Every Gaga album bar The Fame is a mashup of multiple genres but ARTPOP is actually the one who managed to merge it together better than BTW I think. Like MANiCURE alone has 3 genres blended into one perfectly like come on

Also sidebar; there’s nothing remotely VAPOURWAVE on ARTPOP 💀 where did you get that from, there’s also absolutely nothing Dance or Alternative on Joanne. It’s 90% Pop-Rock with some country, folk and glam rock influences, there’s also nothing classical on The Fame Monster that was 90% Synthpop/Electropop (like The Fame) with some slight hip-hop, classic rock  and even a lil bit r&b. 

90% of Gaga’s solo catalogue is purely Pop-Rock or Electropop.

Stephen

Agreed. I actually think the vastness of the sounds/influences adds to the power of the meaning of the album, which is all about the journey of life and finding your identity. It really feels like the album is everything, it's the whole world, it's a whole lifetime. It's hard to explain. If Gaga only released one album in her whole career it would have to be Born This Way. 

FentyGa
5 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Also sidebar; there’s nothing remotely VAPOURWAVE on ARTPOP 💀 where did you get that from 

ok maybe i meant synthwave:poot:

gagzus
2 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

ok maybe i meant synthwave:poot:

There’s none of that either girl 💀 what song are you referring to? 

Lord Temptation

Born This Way is a beast. Listening to it is a religious experience :tony:

AJRocketMan
1 minute ago, gagzus said:

There’s none of that either girl 💀 what song are you referring to? 

Do What U Want. The arpeggiated synth arrangement is very much a Synthwave characteristic, as well as it being midtempo, having a dense beat, and an overall complex instrumental.

Archived