Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
economy

China to curb exports to US

Featured Posts

Woolfsmck

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/china-curb-technology-exports-u-120802700.html

This is only gonna make some blu-tooth headphones and pda's cost more.  Ppfffastttt. 

Chinese suppliers were nudging out a lot of competition because they had lower production costs and could sell for less.   

Same with rare earths,  the us suppliers couldn't compete with China there either . 

This will help some western countries actually because labor laws make production costs higher

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Sad 1

Fee Dee

"It also has hinted that it will limit its supply of rare earths to the United States."

Well, this sucks.

• Like 1

Supersonic

Ship more napa cabbage to europe pls

Majestic, the future is electric.
  • LMAO 2

PunkTheFunk

"Once taking effect, some technology exports to the U.S. will be subject to the control."

Enigma CANCELLED

tenor.gif?itemid=11278181

#Marianne2020
  • LMAO 3

Economy

Ouch

Almost all rare earth minerals used for gagets come from China :madge:

RoverLoader

China has the method of refining raw earth minerals, but that doesn't mean that are the only location where they exist. The US has potentially a much great supply untapped, just not the means of processing them set in place. Sounds like a good investment opportunity. It's terrible for one country to have such a monopoly on something so needed in the modern age.

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

Economy
39 minutes ago, RoverLoader said:

China has the method of refining raw earth minerals, but that doesn't mean that are the only location where they exist. The US has potentially a much great supply untapped, just not the means of processing them set in place. Sounds like a good investment opportunity. It's terrible for one country to have such a monopoly on something so needed in the modern age.

In California I believe it was that big deposits exist

But these are Multi year projects to get up and running and even more years to expand production enough for an entire nations

It's not like the US can quickly replace sources when China cuts the US off

This is still a big threat. 

The US having untapped rare earths only potentially fixes the dependence long term but it does nothing short and medium term :shrug:

That's like if the US and middle east cut off Canadas Oil Supply. Having the world's 3rd largest reserves is meaningless to the populated parts of Canada if there's no infrastructure in place to bring the oil from the parts of Canada it exists in. It's the same idea

• Like 1

RoverLoader
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

The US having untapped rare earths only potentially fixes the dependence long term but it does nothing short and medium term :shrug:

Guess you might have to put up with that nasty old iPhone 10 for another year or two. 1st world issues huh?:oops:

Also, according to the first major geological survey regarding USA resources for REE:

The report describes significant deposits of REE in 14 states, with the largest known REE deposits at Mountain Pass, Calif.; Bokan Mountain, Alaska; and the Bear Lodge Mountains, Wyo. The Mountain Pass mine produced REE until it closed in 2002. Additional states with known REE deposits include Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

It's a bluff by China and in the end does them much more harm than the United States. Either way, it's not a good thing to be blackmailed by them over this. Frankly, given this situation, Trump should be putting a lot of resources into making the United States self sufficient regarding these minerals. Not only that, but the potential exports are extremely lucrative. Whether it's Trump now, or whoever takes over next, this is an issue that will not go away. better to get it sorted ASAP and put the infrastructure in place. We're only going to need more of this stuff - not less.

Edited by RoverLoader
  • Like 2

Woolfsmck
2 hours ago, RoverLoader said:

Some sites that have movable deposits in the us weren't developed because it was cheaper to buy them from China....

So jobs and start ups for the us seem to be in the future....

China can keep their ****

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

Economy
5 hours ago, RoverLoader said:

Guess you might have to put up with that nasty old iPhone 10 for another year or two. 1st world issues huh?:oops:

Also, according to the first major geological survey regarding USA resources for REE:

The report describes significant deposits of REE in 14 states, with the largest known REE deposits at Mountain Pass, Calif.; Bokan Mountain, Alaska; and the Bear Lodge Mountains, Wyo. The Mountain Pass mine produced REE until it closed in 2002. Additional states with known REE deposits include Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

It's a bluff by China and in the end does them much more harm than the United States. Either way, it's not a good thing to be blackmailed by them over this. Frankly, given this situation, Trump should be putting a lot of resources into making the United States self sufficient regarding these minerals. Not only that, but the potential exports are extremely lucrative. Whether it's Trump now, or whoever takes over next, this is an issue that will not go away. better to get it sorted ASAP and put the infrastructure in place. We're only going to need more of this stuff - not less.

Yeah 1 or 2 years is a major understatement lol

When it comes to mining projects and the infrastructure involved and then the refining etc etc

Were talking potentially up to a decade here for any meaningful production

This kind of stuff is slow

Also I don't use iPhones. Im tired of how much they cost and how little time they last. I use Huwawei now

And since their future is uncertain, when this phone gets old I'll be using Motorola :triggered:

But back on topic... The US hay have the resources but it's a very slow process to get this up and running. Mining required a lot of prep work, a lot of organized and hired labor, a lot of permits (which in the developed world due to regulations tend to take forever these days) infrastructure to mine the era plus infrastructure to carry it out, refining infrastructure etc

And because the US hardly produces any now, it's a new industry which will make development even slower. There will be no experienced workers to hire, there will be no industry service providers for this type of mining specifically (which means mining service companies will have to adapt to a new customer) I mean the list is endless

The decade I said above may very well be generous and that's if everything goes smoothly

Just look at Canada where im from. A lot of our oil comes either from mining (cuz if oil sands) or in-situ

Despite being an established industry new projects take easily up to 5-7 years to begin production

In the US it's a non established industry and were not talking a single project were talking enough production for a nation so imagine that :shrug:

Edit: just realized if China cut exports enough to seriously affect US electronic production... Whatever benefits the US would have from mining long term would largely be cancelled out by the US falling behind on market share from electronic manufacturing

Basically trade wars are never good for anyone

Edited by Economy

Economy
3 hours ago, Woolfsmck said:

Some sites that have movable deposits in the us weren't developed because it was cheaper to buy them from China....

So jobs and start ups for the us seem to be in the future....

China can keep their ****

Were Talking several years of pain tho until the US reaped the benefits

As I said above. A new industry like this is slow to develop

In the meantime US electronic manufacturing would fall behind largely canceling out the benefits of mining later

Woolfsmck
5 hours ago, Economy said:

Were Talking several years of pain tho until the US reaped the benefits

As I said above. A new industry like this is slow to develop

In the meantime US electronic manufacturing would fall behind largely canceling out the benefits of mining later

Rare earths aren't  really rare..

The process of extracting a usable amount is costly in terms of chemicals and equiptment..

The cost here ...not time ..is the pain...

Availability of popular electonics gadgets won't suffer, butsales and profits will..

China's unwillinvness to protect copyright and ip's will cause damage t to the industry as well..

It's a trade off that is necessary to prevent a hostile economic policy from doing more damage..

Tariffs aren't the only way to address this however and China's  infantile tit for that mentality is just going to bury any hope of resolution.

Fvck them

Edited by Woolfsmck

Economy
33 minutes ago, Woolfsmck said:

Rare earths aren't  really rare..

The process of extracting a usable amount is costly in terms of chemicals and equiptment..

The cost here ...not time ..is the pain...

Availability of popular electonics gadgets won't suffer, butsales and profits will..

China's unwillinvness to protect copyright and ip's will cause damage t to the industry as well..

It's a trade off that is necessary to prevent a hostile economic policy from doing more damage..

Tariffs aren't the only way to address this however and China's  infantile tit for that mentality is just going to bury any hope of resolution.

Fvck them

They may not be rare but that's not what I was getting at

Im saying industries take time to develop. U gotta hire workers, u gotta set up the land, get equipment, get service companies that do stuff for u as well as build infrastructure for export out of those areas etc not to mention whatever refining plants are required

The US can have a tone of it but it doesn't mean it's capable of replacing the supply overnight. Far from it

Woolfsmck
2 hours ago, Economy said:

They may not be rare but that's not what I was getting at

Im saying industries take time to develop. U gotta hire workers, u gotta set up the land, get equipment, get service companies that do stuff for u as well as build infrastructure for export out of those areas etc not to mention whatever refining plants are required

The US can have a tone of it but it doesn't mean it's capable of replacing the supply overnight. Far from it

I get your point...there will be a lapse between buying said stuff and producing domestic....consumers will bear the brunt ....

To me it's a necessary evil to ensure future viability

Edited by Woolfsmck
  • Like 1