Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Canada imroves blood donation rule for men who have sex with men

Featured Posts

Miracle
On 5/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, Economy said:

I think now it is but when it was first made u can argue it wasn't a homophobic thing

In the past gay men had a much higher rate of HIV infections so banning the most likely group to carry the illness increases safety for everyone else. How is that homophobia?

However the gap has since largely closed and it no longer makes much sense

Gay men still have a higher rate of HIV infections, but there are endless ways to check if the person is HIV positive or not. Being gay alone is not enough reason to ban around the 5% of a country's population, especially nowadays. 

They should ban everyone who's had unprotected sex in the last year though

• Like 1

Economy
Just now, Miracle said:

He just stated the reason why straight people is less likely to contract the virus. 

I know he did but I don't get how that's relevant :huh:

Economy
Just now, Miracle said:

Gay men still have a higher rate of HIV infections, but there are endless ways to check if the person is HIV positive or not. Being gay alone is not enough reason to ban around the 5% of a country's population, especially nowadays. 

They should ban everyone who's had unprotected sex in the last year though

I find ur second paragraph kinda contradicts the first one. If it's so easy to check now then why ban everyone with unprotected sex to begin with?

I do think despite the higher rates tho, they are still very low among gay men so it doesn't make sense to me to ban it for that reason

However the screening is not perfect or Infalable. Unfortunately blood transfusions do indeed pass on infections from time to time

Gabe
On 5/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, Henri Bardot said:

How the **** is it ridiculous tho? 

3 months it takes for HIV to be detected in blood, its not like you have unsafe sex and the next day you go test yourself. There's practically a point in between where it could remain undetectable thus dangerous for blood transfusions. 

I do agree that there should be a similar rule for straights, but I would still keep it more strict for gay men simply because of statistics. 

I would never risk it tbh. Donating blood is not to be taken lightly. 

Firstly, calm down with the profanity you're on an Internet forum discussing a topic like an adult. 

Second, there shouldn't be a deferral period. The deferral period assumes and clumps all gay men together as promiscuous and at-risk for HIV contraction. You shouldn't have to abstain from sex for 3 months to donate, you wouldn't ask that from anyone else. If I am married to a man in a monogamous relationship it shouldn't bar me from donating. End of. 

It's the responsibility of the donor, plus the blood gets tested afterwards. Regardless, anyone can lie on the forms when they go if they really wanted to.

Edited by Gabe

Bellatrix
On 5/21/2019 at 11:09 PM, ladylinners said:

In Sweden, I did get these questions. If I remember correctly the questions asks if you had sex with a random partner in the last three months. If so you are not allowed to donate blood. This goes for every single person. I can't remember the exact phrasing because I haven't donated blood in the past three years because I haven't been allowed due to low bloodcount and then living in Eastern Africa. But yeah, in Sweden there is the same rule for everyone. Slept with a new partner within the last 3 months and you are not allowed to give blood. Otherwise, as long as you are healthy donate away. 

The 3 months rule is only if you have had sex with someone of the opposite gender. For MSM you still have to wait 12 months in Sweden.

ladylinners
2 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

The 3 months rule is only if you have had sex with someone of the opposite gender. For MSM you still have to wait 12 months in Sweden.

Just checked and you are right. I checked their website again and they phrase it really oddly though. So basically the 12 months rule applies if you have sex with someone who has any kind of blood contamination; had sex in exchange for money, drugs, or other  compensation; and MSM. 

I really thought the 3 month rule applied to everyone. I usually justed ticked no to everything on that list

pachinko
6 minutes ago, ladylinners said:

Just checked and you are right. I checked their website again and they phrase it really oddly though. So basically the 12 months rule applies if you have sex with someone who has any kind of blood contamination; had sex in exchange for money, drugs, or other  compensation; and MSM. 

I really thought the 3 month rule applied to everyone. I usually justed ticked no to everything on that list

What if you lie? How can they prove tour wrong?

Ricardo

whatever, gays are still going to lie about it 

just please don't lie and donate if you do bareback, are a hoe or use IV drugs and this applies to either hetero or homosexuals 

ladylinners
Just now, pachinko said:

What if you lie? How can they prove tour wrong?

The blood is always sent for testing before it is given to the hospital. Or whatever processing the blood goes through. Like for me I ticked no to everything because there was like nothing that applied to me (not pregnant, no meds etc). 

For example, they do testing whilst you are there too. I had to stop giving blood 3 years ago because they found out I had a low blood count and then you can't give blood. And then I moved to the US, and then to Tanzania, and I know I'm not allowed to give blood for 6 months after living in a malaria zone. 

So yeah, you can probably lie on the questionnaire but the blood is also going to be tested before it's sent to the hospital for diseases.  

• Like 1