Jump to content
Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

47% of white Republicans bothered to hear people speaking foreign languages

Featured Posts

Modern Ecstacy
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TMM90 said:

I’m from the Netherlands myself. And I get annoyed when people with a migration background - that have been living in the country for at least 5 years don’t speak dutch or refuse to speak it. 

Doesn’t make me racist or a right wing voter. 

I totally understand what you mean but this is a completely different issue. 

This is about Republican Conservatives Americans (Mostly white of course) seeing the world revolve around them and looking down on anyone who speaks another language around them. As in "how dare you speak any other language in front of me, I'm American, I speak English, the world revolves around me". 

What you are talking about in the Netherlands is failure to integrate. This article is about Xenophobia of Republican Americans

Edited by Modern Ecstacy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faysalaaa
Posted (edited)

Thats a low number I expected it to be higher. I dont think they are bothered that others speak in different language, I think they are bothered by people who work in America but dont speak English. Im not American and English is my third language but when I lived in America it used to annoy me when people did not speak English yet worked for a job that requires communication and it always ends up with loss of money and time for both of us.

Edited by Faysalaaa

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kapi09

Not from USA, but still not shocked. Few weeks ago (trip to Miami) I was very frustrated, that 2 of 2 my uber drivers were not speak English at all (only Spanish). And I want to ask is that ok for you? That people dont want to assimilate. For me not! Especially that it is English language, not Japanese or Polish!

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adarsh

I’m from India and we have 22 official languages and there are a hundred more that are unofficial, I’m not even exaggerating, my state alone has 7 different languages spoken in it. After the British colonialists imposed their rules on us, people don’t care about these beautiful languages, they all want to be well versed in English, not that it’s a bad thing but it has become a prerequisite and people who can’t speak properly in English are mocked. It’s really sad how languages which are thousands of years older than English are not even considered ‘real’ let alone important. 

That boy is a monster
  • Like 3
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
thewho

LISTEN ALL! 

Are you bothered by racist/mysoginistic/homophibic bullshit by white Republicans?

LOOK NO FURTHER! :huntyga:

The following incantations will dispell any Chad or Nick who bothers you with racially ambiguous Fox News information: 

Spells: 


"Captain Marvel" (Super effective)
"Amy Schumer " (Super effective) 
"Black  lives matter" (Depends, are you in Mississippi?)
"Mexicans" (Super effective, might bring up something defensive like "but I love tacos)
"I'm a feminist" (Super effective)

  • LMAO 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sistren
1 hour ago, TMM90 said:

I’m from the Netherlands myself. And I get annoyed when people with a migration background - that have been living in the country for at least 5 years don’t speak dutch or refuse to speak it. 

Doesn’t make me racist or a right wing voter. 

I think you can’t require this from a foreign because you can’t expect to learn a language maybe they don’t want to or don’t like it’s much easier to speak English

In my case tho for example I’m Hungarian I can’t expect this especially in 5 years it’s too short and nobody will learn it it’s hard  and Dutch is difficult too i think

Btw if laws were draw up for them it’s a whole different thing

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoeslay
1 hour ago, TMM90 said:

I’m from the Netherlands myself. And I get annoyed when people with a migration background - that have been living in the country for at least 5 years don’t speak dutch or refuse to speak it. 

Doesn’t make me racist or a right wing voter. 

In my opinion you should adjust to your new surroundings without leaving your own culture or langeauges behind. It can be done. I have been raised with all kinds of religions and cultural backgrounds around me, so don’t come at me!

The U.S. doesn't have an official language. English shouldn't be seen as the default. So in my opinion, your point is null when it comes to the U.S. There shouldn't be any "adjusting" to English because English isn't the official language. It maybe the language that the majority speaks but that's because of the elite and the history of colonization and oppression of minorities including the native Americans who were literally there for thousands of years before anyone who spoke English even stepped foot on the continent so...

  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
hoeslay
44 minutes ago, Kapi09 said:

Not from USA, but still not shocked. Few weeks ago (trip to Miami) I was very frustrated, that 2 of 2 my uber drivers were not speak English at all (only Spanish). And I want to ask is that ok for you? That people dont want to assimilate. For me not! Especially that it is English language, not Japanese or Polish!

1) You went to Miami...and expected English? Momma that's your own fault. Do your research. 

2) English is not the official language - there isn't one

3) What even is the context of your last sentence, girl? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Widows Kiss
Posted (edited)

I'm from Germany and I would be bothered by it too depending on the situation. If people speak Turkish, Polish or whatever language that isn't German on the street, in the bus or any other public place, I wouldn't care at all as long as it is not obnoxiously loud. However, when somebody wants to talk to me, I expect them to at least try to speak German or any other language I am able unterstand. I think it is also very rude when I'm with friends or classmates and they suddenly start talking to each other in their native language which I don't understand.

Edited by Widows Kiss
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShayCristoforo

Just ew

Ich schleiban austa be clair

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kapi09
5 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

1) You went to Miami...and expected English? Momma that's your own fault. Do your research. 

2) English is not the official language - there isn't one

3) What even is the context of your last sentence, girl? 

Oh, I just checked on wikipedia that USA doesnt have official language. You are right!
excuse me what GIF Sorry

But I am in shock. My whole life I thought it is English!

  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bloody hooker

tenor.gif?itemid=6175133

This mutual gaze was a “longing to touch” or a "pre-coitus" stare.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jude
1 hour ago, Kapi09 said:

Not from USA, but still not shocked. Few weeks ago (trip to Miami) I was very frustrated, that 2 of 2 my uber drivers were not speak English at all (only Spanish). And I want to ask is that ok for you? That people dont want to assimilate. For me not! Especially that it is English language, not Japanese or Polish!

people are trying to survive karen. get a fvcking grip.

  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jude
16 minutes ago, Widows Kiss said:

I'm from Germany and I would be bothered by it too depending on the situation. If people speak Turkish, Polish or whatever language that isn't German on the street, in the bus or any other public place, I wouldn't care at all as long as it is not obnoxiously loud. However, when somebody wants to talk to me, I expect them to at least try to speak German or any other language I am able unterstand. I think it is also very rude when I'm with friends or classmates and they suddenly start talking to each other in their native language which I don't understand.

you could have typed "i'm uncomfortable when everything doesn't revolve around me" and it would have saved you a few lines

  • Like 4
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 5

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anveeroy
1 hour ago, Adarsh said:

I’m from India and we have 22 official languages and there are a hundred more that are unofficial, I’m not even exaggerating, my state alone has 7 different languages spoken in it. After the British colonialists imposed their rules on us, people don’t care about these beautiful languages, they all want to be well versed in English, not that it’s a bad thing but it has become a prerequisite and people who can’t speak properly in English are mocked. It’s really sad how languages which are thousands of years older than English are not even considered ‘real’ let alone important. 

You also have to see the 'colonial' impact of the language as well. We, the Indian subcontinent people had to accept and learn English to defeat them.  Sadly, it turned into a big fiasco and dominating the whole system! 

  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...