Stefani Tee
politics

47% of white Republicans bothered to hear people speaking foreign languages

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

A new survey finds white Republicans are far more likely to be put off by foreign language speakers than their Democratic counterparts.

According to Pew Research Center, 47 percent of such Republicans say it would bother them “some” or “a lot” to “hear people speak a language other than English in a public place.” Just 18 percent of white Democrats said they would be similarly bothered.

Aside from politics, age and education are the major predictors of linguistic discomfort. Just 18 percent of whites younger than 30 said they would be bothered by a foreign language being spoken, compared with 43 percent in the 50 to 64 age group, and 45 percent among those 65 and older.

Among all racial groups, whites (34 percent) are most likely to be bothered hearing foreign languages, followed by blacks (25 percent), Asians (24 percent) and Hispanics (13 percent). Among Americans overall, 70 percent put their level of unease at “not much” or “not at all.”

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • LMAO 12
  • Sad 5

thierryrreiht
Posted (edited)

tenor.gif?itemid=6175133

Edited by thierryrreiht
  • Like 9

GypsyVida

I just can't anymore

tumblr_inline_p89ge1ICmf1rdx2s2_250.gif

Be My Baby background vocals from 2:54-3:00
  • Like 4

Reginald

:lmao: Maybe if they took the time to learn about other cultures, or learn a second language, they wouldn't be so damn xenophobic and racist

nihilist blues
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Modern Ecstacy
Posted (edited)

Yet they probably can't even speak any other language apart from their yeehaw English.

They literally speak another country's native language (England) yet have the audacity to feel bothered about people speaking their actual mother tongues. White entitlement is just on another level

Edited by Modern Ecstacy
  • Like 21
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 4

Morphine Prince
Just now, Modern Ecstacy said:

Yet they probably can't even speak any other language apart from their yeehaw English.

They literally speak another country's native language yet have the audacity to feel bothered. White entitlement is just on another level

Not only that. They think their English is the “default” and that they “don’t have an accent” :rip: 

• Like 14
  • LMAO 1

StarstruckIllusion
Posted (edited)

Shocking. 

You know what? How about stop being nosey and trying to listen to other people’s conversations? Literally all this is: the clown jumping back out to bite, so great to hear tbh

Edited by Wigless
  • Like 3

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, Reginald said:

:lmao: Maybe if they took the time to learn about other cultures, or learn a second language, they wouldn't be so damn xenophobic and racist

That would require empathy and research, not happening! 

It’s easier to sit at home after work and watch Fox News instead. 

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 2

Lion Heart

Actually, I think its higher. 

GagaMariaSpears

And yet they expect people to speak English in other countries :ladyhaha:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

TMM90
Posted (edited)

I’m from the Netherlands myself. And I get annoyed when people with a migration background - that have been living in the country for at least 5 years don’t speak dutch or refuse to speak it. 

Doesn’t make me racist or a right wing voter. 

In my opinion you should adjust to your new surroundings without leaving your own culture or langeauges behind. It can be done. I have been raised with all kinds of religions and cultural backgrounds around me, so don’t come at me!

Edited by TMM90
  • LMAO 1

TMM90
8 minutes ago, GagaMariaSpears said:

And yet they expect people to speak English in other countries :ladyhaha:

English is a world language. What is your point exactly?

• LMAO 2

Varys
1 minute ago, TMM90 said:

I’m from the Netherlands myself. And I get annoyed when people with a migration background - that have been living in the country for at least 5 years don’t speak dutch or refuse to speak it. 

Doesn’t make me racist or a right wing voter. 

But speaking in your native language =/= not speaking dutch

If I were to move to another country I would learn the new language but I would still speak dutch to my family and friends

I agree that should be able to speak the native language tho but there is no way you can tell  or judge if they speak it or not just by hearing them speak another language

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1