Stefani Tee
society

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Featured Posts

GypsyBabe
4 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

There are three of them but yes I hope they all stay intact. :(

I imagine the heat will have shattered them. 

One of our local churches burned and the heat melted the rose windows entirely. I’m sure the same will have happened here. Especially because of the heat the stone will have generated. 

⚯͛
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Robagaga
1 minute ago, Teal Ambition said:

They said people were saying a tower was on fire but someone onsite called ABC and told them its false

Unfortunately its true

D4N45lBXkAARnU-.jpg

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
  • Sad 3

GypsyBabe
5 minutes ago, Teal Ambition said:

ABC News is saying the two towers are still safe, and that they're not close to collapsing. However, the roof has been completely destroyed

Yeah I think they were saying the tower was on fire because of the smoke but I think its okay for now. 

⚯͛
  • Like 1

Dutch
Just now, Admin said:

Why aren't there helicopters dropping water?

People are saying that the helicopters can't reach it because the smoke and fire are too strong. Other people are saying that it would damage the building even more.

Robagaga
1 minute ago, Admin said:

Why aren't there helicopters dropping water?

The smoke is too strong and the helicopters can't get close enough to drop water

Melech

The cultural minister said that Notre Dame will be rebuild despite the costs.

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 4
  • Shook 1

Edonis

My favorite architectural landmark in Paris. I'm so sad about this.

• Love 1

JohnnyVersace
8 minutes ago, Robagaga said:

I am sorry but yes. 

This is more important. 

And I know its not politically correct to say that but its just a statement of fact. 

What happened in Louisiana was a disgusting tragedy and it definetely should've gotten more coverage. 

People can debate that as much as they like later. 

THE BUILDING IS STILL BURNING AS WE SPEAK for crying out loud.  This is a symbol of a country. It is a part of the soul of every frenchman. I am sure the churches of louisiana were part of the souls of the people in from those towns in Louisiana but the amount of people affected by that isn't the same as what is happening right now. 

We can debate as much as we like "that things are only important if people decide they are" but the facts are that this building was a symbol and a a pride for every frenchman and millions upon millions of people in france are mourning. Not only that but many people in the world that appreciate art, culture and religion are mourning. That isn't to the same scale as what happened in Louisiana.

7 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Your statement is no different that the initial one you are outraged by. How disappointing and sad.

Either way, I know this is sad for you and I hope you heal. 

^ What they said. 

You clearly lack an understanding of the Louisiana crimes, and I don't fault you for that as it's not part of your life. However, the attacks on the black churches threaten a massive population of the country, and fuels the fire of racism that keeps growing. Black people are being killed in the streets, and their safety is threatened more and more each day, and with every hate crime. 

And while Notre Dame is a symbol of pride and history in France, black churches in the south are a place of safety for millions of people who have combated racism and prejudice against them for decades, if not centuries. To threaten that is incredibly monumental, and very serious. 

They're both awful, and for you to say it's "fact" that this is "more important" is ****ing ignorant and discredits the other. Stop comparing, they're both impactful and tragic.

• Like 8

JusKeepBreathin

😢😢😢😢😢

Hope it doesn't ruin it completely.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Sky Juil
6 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

So what do you guys think will be done to the site? 

Is there really a point in restoring so much of it? 

Maybe a historical ruins memorial? 

We still need to wait for the entire damage to be assessed though. 

It's too soon to have plans. I hope they remove dangerous debris. Then open it to visitors so people can see for themselves, as a way to accept it.  Then move on to restoration. Heat can make cement structurally unsafe, it's too soon to know.

• Like 3

Robagaga
3 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said:

^ What they said. 

You clearly lack an understanding of the Louisiana crimes, and I don't fault you for that as it's not part of your life. However, the attacks on the black churches threaten a massive population of the country, and fuels the fire of racism that keeps growing. Black people are being killed in the streets, and their safety is threatened more and more each day, and with every hate crime. 

And while Notre Dame is a symbol of pride and history in France, black churches in the south are a place of safety for millions of people who have combated racism and prejudice against them for decades, if not centuries. To threaten that is incredibly monumental, and very serious. 

They're both awful, and for you to say it's "fact" that this is "more important" is ****ing ignorant and discredits the other. Stop comparing, they're both impactful and tragic.

I'm not going to argue with you and explain to you my opinion because this is obviously something that affects you deeply. I 

It would've been nice for you and other people to have done the same to me and other french people on this thread instead of arguing and insulting. 

Compassion is key and choosing your fights and when its appropriate to fight is also a talent that not many  have

I wish you all the best

Edited by Robagaga
  • Love 1

Dutch

With all the love and respect but can y'all create another topic for politic stuff/comparing stuff? This situation is already bad enough. Please stay on topic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

RudraCNG

It's so sad. I don't even know what to say.

I was there few years ago and it really impressed me. Plus, it's a 900 yo building. I'm so sad rn.

• Like 1

River

From what I read something similar happened to a church in Nantes and they were able to restore it, it's not the same, you see the restoration vs original, but it's still standing.

It'll be restored but it'll never be the same.

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)