💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

‘Alita: Battle Angel’ on Track to Become a $200 Million Flop

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

alita-battle-angel-epk-ABA_016_ALA_0190_

Fox may need to rely on Oscar victories for “Bohemian Rhapsody” if it’s looking for good news prior to their Disney merger, because what may be its last release as a stand-alone studio is on course to become a big bomb unless it gets an overseas bailout.

Two weeks away from its Feb. 14 U.S. release, “Alita: Battle Angel” is estimated by independent trackers to post a five-day opening of no more than $25 million against a production budget that has been reported to be between $150 million and $200 million. Analysts have told TheWrap they estimate the James Cameron-written/Robert Rodriguez-directed film will have a final domestic total of $45-50 million.

But Boxoffice.com analyst Daniel Loria tells TheWrap that low figure is a significant improvement over what had been projected when the film was originally slated to be released at Christmas against “Aquaman,” which has grossed nearly $1.1 billion worldwide.

“It’s not looking great, but by moving it to Valentine’s Day, they gave the film a bit more runway to make some money against ‘The Lego Movie 2’ and ‘How to Train Your Dragon 3,’ which aren’t direct competition,” he said.

“Alita” is by far the most expensive project in Rodriguez’s directing career, as he’s known for mid-budget genre pics, with his priciest project being his $67 million “Grindhouse” collab with Quentin Tarantino in 2007. But “Alita” has the support of blockbuster maven Cameron, who is also producing the film through his Lightstorm Entertainment banner, along with Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios, TSG Entertainment and Fox.

“Alita” has been a passion project for Cameron, who first announced his plans to adapt Yukito Kishiro’s cyberpunk manga back in 2003 when the “Matrix” trilogy had pushed cyberpunk to unprecedented mainstream popularity. But the project was sidelined as Cameron went on to make the box office record-breaking “Avatar” and wasn’t revisited until 2016, when Rodriguez came aboard.

Several big-budget cyberpunk dystopian films have failed to make much at the box office. Most notable was Paramount’s $110 million adaptation of the ’90s anime film “Ghost in the Shell” in 2017. Panned by critics, the film only made $40 million domestically and $169 million worldwide, becoming one of the year’s biggest busts.

https://www.thewrap.com/alita-battle-angel-fox-final-release-200-million-flop-james-cameron-robert-rodriguez/

derpmonster
3 minutes ago, Rainbow1 said:

production budget that has been reported to be between $150 million and $200 million

:toofunny:

Big studios waste money like it ain't nothing. 

Meanwhile ASIB took $36M which included an A list actor and director, a new actress but established musician, so much real life filming, sound editing, mixing, a project that spanned two years, and many different musicians and labels involved. 

And yet ASIB didn't feel "cheap" by any means. And let it really sink in how much $200M really is. It's not just a little more than $36M. It's a LOT. 

They haven't even marketed or advertised it probably yet. Maybe spend some of those millions for that. I see no hype. :what:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

I thought the previews looked awesome! How can they know already if people are gonna go see it or not :oprah:

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

derpmonster
2 minutes ago, Sid said:

I thought the previews looked awesome! How can they know already if people are gonna go see it or not :oprah:

It's kinda easy for the industry to gauge interest based on trends in the genre, trailers, polls, etc. Some movies outdo expectations and become sleeper hits, so they can hope that happens. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

gstring

When i see the posters i didn't expect much.

BUT after saw the trailer i can't wait to go see it!

Little little

Rudz Xinc

There is no hype.

They need to promote the movie.

I saw the trailer, and it looks great.

Look at those clowns

The cgi girl is kinda freaking me out, something is off with her upper face, like the eyes.. idk, it looks like a human Naʼvi..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

RAMROD

Saw the preview, was great actually.

Not related, I saw How To Train Your Dragon 3 last month, when I visited Asia for BLACKPINK concerts. All my friends here have yet seeing it and always remind me to not spoil it for them sksksks :giggle:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

BUtterfield 8
7 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Saw the preview, was great actually.

Not related, I saw How To Train Your Dragon 3 last month, when I visited Asia for BLACKPINK concerts. All my friends here have yet seeing it and always remind me to not spoil it for them sksksks :giggle:

Did anybody die 

RAMROD
6 minutes ago, Rainbow1 said:

Did anybody die 

For How To Train? 

Spoiler

It is a pleasant movie with some nice action. Good animation too!

Spoiler

Someone did. Also, there's bitter sweet ending. :diane: 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

23 minutes ago, River said:

The cgi girl is kinda freaking me out, something is off with her upper face, like the eyes.. idk, it looks like a human Naʼvi..

That's the point actually. They digitally made her eyes different. They also digitally enhanced her hair. 

RabbitHeart

I haven't seen major promo for it aside from it having a Dua Lipa song on the soundtrack. I didn't even realize it was out in two weeks?

I'm also a bit biased against the film because there aren't any Asian people in the cast but it's based on a manga? 

2020Covid19IsOurs

They aren't expecting big numbers domestically. Maybe it'll do big overseas. :flower:

Gaga x JeffHardy x BillMaher

Archived