💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

ROMA Netflix Movie

warioaddams

Featured Posts

Vitleysingur
8 minutes ago, Jorget said:

It obviously has some flaws which I think americans won't care about so I think it could win BP.

hi Jorget, Roma is one of my favorite movies last year. So I would like to know your take on these flaws as a native. Thx :party:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also since we're all here can I talk about how ill-fitting this song is for the movie? I get that it's 'inspired by the movie' and they needed a fresh, current person for youth appeal but like... out of everyone? Y'all picked Billie Eillish to do a song about a Mexican maid in the 70s? And the song doesn't even have anything to do with the movie. WHAT WAS THE REASON? WHAT WAS THE REASON???

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

46 minutes ago, Vitleysingur said:

hi Jorget, Roma is one of my favorite movies last year. So I would like to know your take on these flaws as a native. Thx :party:

Hi! :)

Well I'm not mexican, I'm peruvian. But the movie is just so powerful that it really shows a very common, and mostly overlooked, latinamerican situation which was the life of these women who worked as maids basically almost every day.

Now I don't have any problem with the movie, I think it was done very respectfully, it's so moving and close to reality. Seeing a woman like Yalitza Aparicio on screen made me so proud.

However, I knew while I was watching the movie that some critics would try to discredit the film for basically being told in the eyes of Quaron, instead of showing some other scenes where maybe Cleo was mistreated by the family or getting to know her better. This is because in the movie the relationship between Cleo and the family could be "too good to be true" for some people in contrast to reality. 

In the movie's defense, this is not what it was trying to be, this is Cleo's story and a homage to these admirable women, it' wasn't trying to be anything more than that.

underneath the pine

Oriane

Meh, it's really beautiful but it isn't really saying anything in the end. It reminds me of The Tree of Life. It deserves Best Cinematography but Best Picture ?

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Henri Bardot

ITS NOT BORING WHAT THE ****.

It’s a beautiful movie that represents two worlds, from two different women, with different backgrounds.

how someone totally different from you, can end up being loved and well cared. There’s more to it... obviously 

it also pictures how middle class Mexican families lived back then, and how they used (and still) to hire indigenous women.

my family was like this back then. 

They have a few stories about one woman that worked with them, and it’s heartbreaking like this whatsoever  

maybe it’s because I’m Mexican, but generally Mexicans are the ones that hated the most this movie smh. Sad tbh

pooiota

Sorcerer

It is one of the best films of 2018. Fantastic direction and terrific cinematography. I teared up in the hospital and beach scene. The first half is indeed very slow, but it built up to an emotional second half. Yalitza Aparicio was great in the final acts.

However I did have some issues with the film. I did not understand the point of some scenes in the first half that did not really contribute to the main plot, like the New Year party in the hacienda and the guy singing while the forest burns (that scene was artistic but was never relevant to Cleo or the film itself). I would've included scenes where Cleo visits her own family and village instead of those New Year party scenes. The film, therefore, is stronger if it focused more on Cleo's personal life. The film felt like it was told through the eyes of that ungrateful family (they became grateful to Cleo in the end, only to disregard her again), or even through the eyes of an upper class guy like Alfonso Cuaron due to the lack of nuance on Cleo's lower socioeconomic class and minority status.

I would have awarded Roma Best Picture if the entirety was emotionally-sweeping like the second half. I will award it Best Director and Best Cinematography tho, but that should be it.

Monster7

It's very good. The plot is just the perfect representation of a woman's life in 70s Mexican society. The fact that it's slow paced does ot feel more real, like life itself. From cinematography to every single other category is perfectly done. People who usually just watch blockbuster or mainstream movies won't like it though

5 hours ago, Jorget said:

why did you think it was pretentious?

And no plot? The girl got pregnant, her lover left her and she gave birth to a dead baby.

I'm not coming for your opinion but it's a beautiful homage to thousands of latin american women who have had a very similar and rough life. My old maids went through a very similar experience. It made me cry and it really shows a side of my culture that you'll never see on screen like that. It's really powerful, empowering and beautiful.

It obviously has some flaws which I think americans won't care about so I think it could win BP.

Well, I'm not an expert in movies but I find pretentious that they used black and white/random scenes/no music/no dialogue/the pacing. I can see why the director did it, but every critic prising the movie because of those features read as pretentious to me. 

I can feel empathy for Cleo but the movies does nothing to pull someone who has nothing to do with the context of the movie, into feeling part of the film. In fact, sometimes it feels as it is punishing you for not experiencing the cultural context first hand. I had no idea what was happening when the ex boyfriend broke into the shop with the gun. I had no idea what was happening when they where training. I had no idea what Roma was supposed to be. And the movie did nothing to help me understand. Language is not a barrier because I speak Spanish 

If course I can only speak for myself. The movie can be a masterpiece but I didn't connect with it.

Kindness rules all.

2 hours ago, Poker said:

I can feel empathy for Cleo but the movies does nothing to pull someone who has nothing to do with the context of the movie, into feeling part of the film. In fact, sometimes it feels as it is punishing you for not experiencing the cultural context first hand. I had no idea what was happening when the ex boyfriend broke into the shop with the gun. I had no idea what was happening when they where training. I had no idea what Roma was supposed to be. And the movie did nothing to help me understand. Language is not a barrier because I speak Spanish 

If course I can only speak for myself. The movie can be a masterpiece but I didn't connect with it.

There's some cultural and historical context which I think it might be important to understand so I can see why you were a little lost. (Colonia) Roma is the neighborhood in Mexico City where most of the movie takes place. The gun scene is a reference to the Corpus Christi massacre (protests) and the training part, well I guess Cleo's boyfriend was really into Karate.

It's ok. At the end of the day art is subjective, you can love something everyone hates and vice versa. :)

underneath the pine

Morphine Prince
7 hours ago, gag said:

Also since we're all here can I talk about how ill-fitting this song is for the movie? I get that it's 'inspired by the movie' and they needed a fresh, current person for youth appeal but like... out of everyone? Y'all picked Billie Eillish to do a song about a Mexican maid in the 70s? And the song doesn't even have anything to do with the movie. WHAT WAS THE REASON? WHAT WAS THE REASON???

Nvm 

Didymus

Obviously not a movie I'd recommend to this site. Definitely not for people who don't appreciate cinema, aka the McDonald's lovers of film. Nothing wrong with that of course, but they never fail to describe works of genius as "boring", "too long" or "pretentious" and thus show their true colors.

Not trying to be a snob here though. Just saying. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it if you think movies are about sitting back and enjoying yourselves. This film, and others like it, demand your eyes ànd your mind and aren't made as a pleasant distraction from life. They represent life and require an active viewer.

Epione

I really liked it (8/10). Cinematography is nice, story is quite simple but also has some nice twists. Enjoyed it, one of the best last year.

Didymus
6 hours ago, Oriane said:

Meh, it's really beautiful but it isn't really saying anything in the end. It reminds me of The Tree of Life.

Both films are filled to the brim with meaning. You just have to reconstruct it, it's not just given to you on a platter. I get that that might be frustrating for some people, but for others (like me) it's refreshing and inviting. I quite like to be an active interpreter and that's why I think most mass media films are so quintessentially dull: they don't require anything but just a passive taking in of whatever the director slapped on screen. That, to me, is not art.

Glamourpuss
13 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Obviously not a movie I'd recommend to this site. Definitely not for people who don't appreciate cinema, aka the McDonald's lovers of film. Nothing wrong with that of course, but they never fail to describe works of genius as "boring", "too long" or "pretentious" and thus show their true colors.

Not trying to be a snob here though. Just saying. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it if you think movies are about sitting back and enjoying yourselves. This film, and others like it, demand your eyes ànd your mind and aren't made as a pleasant distraction from life. They represent life and require an active viewer.

:applause:

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Archived