💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

“Roma” will win the Oscars, ASIB only best original song

Kimmo

Featured Posts

Shallow better effing win or I’m throwing a brick at something.

I know ASIB for Best Picture is a big ask but I selfishly want this just so Gaga and Bradley get up on stage together :heart: 

PS I saw a junket interview where Bradley said he saw Roma and he loved it so if it wins...ugh okay

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mulholland
35 minutes ago, Melech said:

Cause foreign languages means bad movie, right ? :rip: 

Uh did I say that? I think you will find the answer is no, and in fact, I said the exact opposite in a later post.

However, the average American moviegoing audience is not exactly what you would call SUPER HOT on foreign language films generally, ESPECIALLY slower, quieter, non-action foreign language films. And it's not just that it's in a foreign language, it's that it's black and white, very long, and features no recognizable stars. My only point was that Roma faces a bigger uphill challenge than you might expect owing to those reasons and others.

And as myself and several others have pointed out, a foreign language film has NEVER won Best Picture at the Oscars. No one is saying that is GOOD, but it is REALITY.

I love this discussion,  My absolute two favorite topics: The Oscars and Gaga - CONFLATED!!!!  Pinch me, I am dreaming!~ It is only November. Can I count on this to ensue all the way up to the Awards? Seems like so many threads here die quickly.

Watch As I Dive In

6 hours ago, Kimmo said:

That’s the same exact reason why Netflix is giving it a limited release in theaters so that way there’s no confusion... it will be realized in theaters November 21   and to stream on Netflix December 14 

The criticism you’re giving is just because is a foreign movie? Watch this change that perspective 

Pan’s Labyrinth was a foreign movie with no movie stars, long as well and it won big at the Oscars :vegas:

They’re saying the limited theatrical release hurts it given that it’s a foreign film that’s very long and ASIB is comparatively very easy to follow and it’s easy to have seen it. 

ltlmnstr

Yeah, he directed Prisoner of Azkaban and Rowling wanted him to direct all the new Fantastic Beasts movies. He declined. Still slightly upset about that. 

I believe this thread. Roma is gonna win something huge.

18 hours ago, Kimmo said:

You know I should probably point out that you are correct, Gaga is actually leading the race for Best Actress :vegas:

tbh, Goldderby can predict all they like. I just can’t see Gaga winning, but I have faith. Nearly every other contender acted better than her this year, Glenn and Olivia especially. If she does win, I fear it could cause a major backlash. They might award Best Actress to the worthy winner and give Gaga the Best Original Song to make up for it.

9 hours ago, Kimmo said:

That’s the same exact reason why Netflix is giving it a limited release in theaters so that way there’s no confusion... it will be realized in theaters November 21   and to stream on Netflix December 14 

The criticism you’re giving is just because is a foreign movie? Watch this change that perspective 

Pan’s Labyrinth was a foreign movie with no movie stars, long as well and it won big at the Oscars :vegas:

Pan’s Labrinth didn’t exactly win any MAJOR awards like the ones we’re all discussing here though, right???

Well the winning streak has started already. We won two out of our three nominations at the Hollywood music in media awards.

1. Shallow won best original song (City of stars has won this before) :ohwell:

2. Julianne Jordan and Julia Michaels won for their supervison of the soundtrack.  :vegas:

5 hours ago, KleinGa said:

Wait, is ROMA a Netflix film? If so, then would this be the first time a streaming movie won Best Picture? That would be HUGE 

Well, yes and no. 

Netflix can't send Roma to the Oscars without releasing it in a number of theaters. 

Netflix it's a streaming plataform and a production house. If it wins , it will be a win for them as a "studio" and not as Netflix the streaming plataform. 

Meanwhile, Netflix will try to fill the theater quota to be eligible and then will drop the  movie  from theaters  so they can add it to their streaming service. 

It's messy but it's how the academy works and, tbh it shouldn't change cause it will rise other questions about film identity that would be hard to solve. What most People fail to understand is that Netflix is a TV channel where you can choose your own content. If any movie from Netflix can be nominated to the Oscars without being released in theaters, then all the TV movies should be eligible aswell. 

Monsters who underestimate Gaga winning Best Actress are probably the ones that know her every breath and mannerism, which makes it hard to separate Gaga from her character.

Gaga would be a deserving BA winner. She’s got the star power, she’s got the film, she’s got the box office, she holds her own with the frontrunner for Best Actor as well. It will be historic if Gaga and Bradley won matching Oscars. The Academy needs a moment like this. Even if she loses Actress, she will have made her mark on the Oscar stage and will likely be there again soon, this time for the acting win.

KleinGa
4 minutes ago, Akiki said:

Well, yes and no. 

Netflix can't send Roma to the Oscars without releasing it in a number of theaters. 

Netflix it's a streaming plataform and a production house. If it wins , it will be a win for them as a "studio" and not as Netflix the streaming plataform. 

Meanwhile, Netflix will try to fill the theater quota to be eligible and then will drop the  movie  from theaters  so they can add it to their streaming service. 

It's messy but it's how the academy works and, tbh it shouldn't change cause it will rise other questions about film identity that would be hard to solve. What most People fail to understand is that Netflix is a TV channel where you can choose your own content. If any movie from Netflix can be nominated to the Oscars without being released in theaters, then all the TV movies should be eligible aswell. 

Thanks! You’re right! I just did some research into it

Looks like the film hits netflix two weeks after the theatrical release. This will very much still be considered a streaming service film even if they put it in theatres. Im interested to see how the industry responds to Netflix winning BP

5 minutes ago, KleinGa said:

Thanks! You’re right! I just did some research into it

Looks like the film hits netflix two weeks after the theatrical release. This will very much still be considered a streaming service film even if they put it in theatres. Im interested to see how the industry responds to Netflix winning BP

This topic is quite interesting. For the media, yes, they will see it as a streaming service film while in reality it isn't. Not yet and not quite. 

The second problem is deeper: profit. Netflix spends lots of money producing content but the revenue isn't clear. Imagine if big blockbusters like the Avengers where only released via streaming. With a price tag of 200 million to produce and a box office above a billion dollars, could Netflix keep up with this massive Numbers? Probably not. Unless you had to pay extra for those releases (plus the subscriber fee).

If this is the future, one thing is certain, it will be the end of movie theaters.

Archived