đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne Had Impact

TheodoreRx

Featured Posts

TheodoreRx

I was reading the Wikipedia article for Joanne and realized that random music journalists give Joanne more credit than Gaga's fans. :rip:

"Many journalistic articles noticed the minimalist musical endeavor taken by Gaga in Joanne, in the work of other artists.[157] Andrew Unterberger from Billboard theorized that singer Miley Cyrus' fourth studio album, Younger Now (2017), "sounded familiar upon first reading", because "it's not all that different from the rhetoric espoused by another left-of-center pop star [Gaga] preceding her own voyage back to the middle" and that "Cyrus' new music is taking her down a similar path". According to the article, Gaga—when she realized that the "high-conceptuality" of her previous work led to diminished "commercial returns"—had chosen a "straightforward pop-rock album" like Joanne and her Super Bowl performance "to remind people at all points on the political and social spectrum why she was once a pop star without peer".[158] Speaking of Cyrus' new direction Melissa Engelman from Odyssey noted that she was "taking a cue from [Gaga] as a way to kick off her career apart from Hannah Montana."[159]

While reviewing Kesha's third studio album, Rainbow (2017), Spencer Kornhaber of The Atlantic noted the usage of analogue instruments in lieu of electrical ones, like the songs in Joanne. Kesha also tamed down her image like Gaga, but kept her individualistic personality.[160] In his Vanity Fair article, Josh Duboff wrote that singer Justin Timberlake's countryfied musical endeavors with his Man of the Woods album era recalled Joanne. He also noted that "other pop stars—Miley Cyrus and Kesha among them—have recently pivoted from a more pop-focused sound to something rootsier."[161] Hugh McIntyre from Forbes similarly found singer Harry Styles' debut single, "Sign of the Times" (2017), incorporating glam rock in its composition.[157]"

:applause:

TheodoreRx
4 minutes ago, Sharyu said:

I do agree of Kesha, but Miley was doing country far before Gaga was even a thing.

Kesha AND Miley both have country backgrounds, but it's the timing and aesthetic immediately after Gaga did Joanne:

GagaMariaSpears
5 minutes ago, Sharyu said:

I do agree of Kesha, but Miley was doing country far before Gaga was even a thing.

The only country I can recall from Miley is this

TheodoreRx
2 minutes ago, jujubaruda said:

Rihanna is always ahead, she did folk (FourFiveSeconds) before them 

True, but that was a one off single. I think the aesthetic of the Joanne era and the overall concept of an album really caught on with Joanne. Rihanna also did electro-pop before it got big. 

Quartz

Yeah, a lot of artists tried to go down the Joanne path. Too bad it did not click with the public.

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

BlingNotTheMusic

I was telling someone this the other day and they didn’t believe me. 

Even Demi and Kylie had more stripped back and/or country infused production. Not to say Gaga invented either, but should be taken into consideration given they came out not long after Joanne and both are a departure from each star’s previous work. (After all, Madonna toyed with both on 2000’s “Music”)

We love a re-trending Queen :vegas:

beaublue

Joanne did have an impact. Miley’s album, Justin’s backwood imagery/concept & other artists that stripped their music back & brought in country vibes. Gaga changes pop music in 2008 & continues to be the leader of the back when it comes to setting the trend in music & how fashionable or wild other artists act based on how she expresses herself through art & fashion.

beaublue
52 minutes ago, jujubaruda said:

Rihanna is always ahead, she did folk (FourFiveSeconds) before them 

48 minutes ago, TheodoreRx said:

True, but that was a one off single. I think the aesthetic of the Joanne era and the overall concept of an album really caught on with Joanne. Rihanna also did electro-pop before it got big. 

Not to mention that single didn’t really blow up... like, at all... or at least where I live it wasn’t being played nor was anyone talking about/listening to it

Archived