music news

Critic: “Sweetener Drowned in Pharrell Bounce”

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sipthistea

In general, Pharrell is a good producer. He's made great records with Daft Punk, Madonna, Gwen Stefani and Britney Spears. I don't know what happened this time. 

But at the end it's Ariana's album. She seems to be misguided and you can tell she does not have a clear idea of where she's taking her career. She's just letting her producers do the work and she sings over it, which imo is a lack of commitment with your public. 

BalmungBard
21 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

A good producer knows to let an artist shine. He did not do this.

And this why Gaga likes working with hand picked producers that will let her shine, especially when she comes into the room and is just gives off this aura that says “I don’t care how man you think you are, this is my record and I’m gonna shine” I’d like to think this one of the things  producers love about the fact that she works hard for them to know that she make sure that record came out of her

NYC - Gamer - Artist - Writer - FFXIV Balmung

LordEnigma
4 hours ago, MarryTheAngel said:

Idk about you two but I felt like Hard Candy was more focused and ultimately... better...

Agreed - this album was not really a statement but just a “hey I’m here.”

I still like Sweetener but there not much to search for here - and I wish there were more shocking moments or deeper lyrics. But I’m giving it a couple weeks before I make a final decision on it

Lord Temptation
5 hours ago, BalmungBard said:

And this why Gaga likes working with hand picked producers that will let her shine, especially when she comes into the room and is just gives off this aura that says “I don’t care how man you think you are, this is my record and I’m gonna shine” I’d like to think this one of the thinks producers love about the fact that she works hard for them to know that she make sure that record came out of her

Yes it takes mutual patience, trust and respect to create a great album. Otherwise it’s just one person using the other. Gaga works with producers intuitively, not because they are expensive expensive hit machines who think they are more important than either the artist or the team.

9 hours ago, River said:

Hard Candy

Sweet Escape

Sweetener

All had Pharrell as a producer/writer or the Neptunes and all of them suffers from the same problems..

And like, it's the 3rd time that he's using the candy/sweet theme.. move on..

He doesn’t respect women at all, so that’s probably why his work wit them is so one dimensional. He can’t think of anything else.

Which also explained why when he worked with Ariana, he treated it like it was his album.

19 hours ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

I honestly don't blame Ariana one bit for creating an album that is "in flux" and threw a bunch of influences out there to see which ones worked. That is the overall state of pop music today. It's in flux. Pop artists don't know if they should release a true pop album or if they should try to make some weird bubblegum hip hop/watered down trap, to get maximum sales and climb the charts

Then we’ve got people like Gaga who aren’t get nearly enough acclaim or recognition for being so sure and grounded of her creative output and pushing the artistic boundaries of a mainstream star. The music industry kinda frustrates me.

Jacob Marley

Her version of Goodnight and Go is great - breathing is growing on me.

I assume all of y’all know that this is a cover of Goodnight and Go, but if you don’t, go look up Imogen Heap.

Archived