Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Critic: “Sweetener Drowned in Pharrell Bounce”

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

Pretttty much agree with this review. I still am soooo disappointed with this album. Wah.

From the article:

“Indeed, seven of the 15 tracks here have been drowned in producer Pharrell Williams’ bubblemint bounce – at points, it’s in danger of sounding more like his record than Grande’s.”

“You suspect, having worked heavily with methodical pop genius Max Martin for many years (and here on the more traditional half of the album), Grande wanted to throw the spaghetti at the wall musically and see what stuck.”

“There’s a moment at the very end of “Goodnight n Go” when Grande is singing her way up the register and you mentally steel for autotune to kick in – but it doesn’t. It’s a strange trick of the brain and a reminder of the sheer brilliance of her voice, the one constant on a dizzying record.”

Read the whole thing here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/ariana-grande-sweetener-review-tracks-pete-davidson-manchester-a8494496.html%3famp

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kvnrp
1 minute ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

“Indeed, seven of the 15 tracks here have been drowned in producer Pharrell Williams’ bubblemint bounce – at points, it’s in danger of sounding more like his record than Grande’s.” 

In danger?
156gxf4i.gif

I blame it on Pete :neyde: 

jk I enjoyed the album, there's cute tracks but no smashs like GIAW which disappointed me a bit.

JazzGa

I honestly don't blame Ariana one bit for creating an album that is "in flux" and threw a bunch of influences out there to see which ones worked. That is the overall state of pop music today. It's in flux. Pop artists don't know if they should release a true pop album or if they should try to make some weird bubblegum hip hop/watered down trap, to get maximum sales and climb the charts

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Thomas P

Critics for the most part have actually been enjoying it. Even I was shocked at that, cause although I love this album, it doesn’t sound like one that would be a critic favourite. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

LUO YI

I liked 10 tracks at the end :vegas: not that bad but Pharrel's production is sooo annoying 

The night sky tells all

Lord Temptation

The critic is being too soft on Pharrell. 

Honestly his voice is like graffiti against Ariana’s.

He treated her album like it was his vanity project. 

He totally exploited her. 

MarryTheAngel

I thought some user's comparisons to Hard Candy were rather apt to how Sweetener is being received. Pop girls. Pharrell will take over your record if you have him on a lot of songs.

DiscoHeaven23
2 minutes ago, MarryTheAngel said:

I thought some user's comparisons to Hard Candy were rather apt to how Sweetener is being received. Pop girls. Pharrell will take over your record if you have him on a lot of songs.

Omg it’s sooo much like hard candy in that way. Wow good comparison 

Why is everyone attacking Pharrell? :rip:

Ariana wanted to work with him, was there during the process of production/recording and could've easily said NO to the Album. Her Record Label/Team could've said no. It is not Pharrells fault that Ariana wanted to make bad music and release it. If she's really as independent and in control as you all say, you shouldn't blame the Person she paid to do this. Just saying.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Lord Temptation
6 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

Omg it’s sooo much like hard candy in that way. Wow good comparison 

Agreed. Hard Candy is an album that, despite it’s misgivings, at least had a clear vision. It may be overproduced or whatnot but it’s still a lot of fun - as any party album should be. The songs on Sweetener however seem so aimless. 

StressedOut

I actually think this is her best produced album lol, I prefer DW musically, but Pharrell really did that with his production imo.

Lord Temptation
6 minutes ago, Noah said:

Why is everyone attacking Pharrell? :rip:

Ariana wanted to work with him, was there during the process of production/recording and could've easily said NO to the Album. Her Record Label/Team could've said no. It is not Pharrells fault that Ariana wanted to make bad music and release it. If she's really as independent and in control as you all say, you shouldn't blame the Person she paid to do this. Just saying.

A good producer knows to let an artist shine. He did not do this.

JohnnyVersace

Tbh this album sounds incredibly cohesive. Every song carries the "sweet" theme in some way. The little twinkles, the high pitch of her voice, the relaxed beats. It's therapeutic. 

Archived