A Star Is Born - Pre-order
ūüé§ Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets ūüé§
politics

Germany To Miss 2020 Climate Goals

Featured Posts

Economy

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Germany-Neglects-Renewables-Set-to-Miss-2020-Climate-Goals.html

Germany is on track to miss it's 2020 climate goals. While Germany vowed to have emissions 40% below 1990 levels, they are expected to be only 32% below 1990 levels or an 8 percentage point failure

Nevertheless emissions have fallen which is still good news even if it wasn't quite the targeted ones!

jesse_batista
  • Like 1

Economy

My Country will miss the targets by WAY more than that cuz the Oil Sands grew a lot in total size even tho the emissions per barrel produced have dropped

Green electricity is hard to offset rapid population growth and rising Oil Production

Also America under Trump will be epic fail. North America is an environmental mess. No where else in the world ppl drive so many big gas guzzlers especially in the suburbs :madge:

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista
  • Like 1

Haiii

Honestly tho I don't expect a lot of countries to meet the carbon emission targets on time, but the fact that its on a downwards (upwards?) trend in general is still good news.

• Like 1

Economy
1 minute ago, Haiii said:

Honestly tho I don't expect a lot of countries to meet the carbon emission targets on time, but the fact that its on a downwards (upwards?) trend in general is still good news.

In downwards in general in the developed world (OECD Nations)

In the Developing world it's still rising

Globally as a whole emissions last few years have flattened out. They are neither rising much or falling much each year so hopefully this is a peak and starts to drop

Crude Oil consumption and Natural Gas are 2 fossil fuels that are still rising...

The most toxic of the fossil fuels tho Coal, that one started falling a few years ago.

Some of the shut down Coal plants are being replaced with Natural gas which is why Coal is falling but Natural Gas rising so fast

jesse_batista

Florian

Germany won't meet their goal because they had to open charcoal power stations when they decided to close most of their nuclear power plants... I really don't know what they were thinking 

imnotyourbabe10

At least they tried I guess?

Unlike us here in 'Murica -- pulling out of every environmental agreement or treaty :saladga:

Edited by imnotyourbabe10

Economy
3 hours ago, Florian said:

Germany won't meet their goal because they had to open charcoal power stations when they decided to close most of their nuclear power plants... I really don't know what they were thinking 

Some ppl really fear nuclear... I mean the odds something will go wrong are very low but the risk still exists

My Province is 51% nuclear power tho and we never had a problem!

Just one of North America's highest hydro bills (if not the highest) :neyde:

jesse_batista

Florian
7 minutes ago, Economy said:

Some ppl really fear nuclear... I mean the odds something will go wrong are very low but the risk still exists

My Province is 51% nuclear power tho and we never had a problem!

Just one of North America's highest hydro bills (if not the highest) :neyde:

I'm a (very) pro-nuclear :laughga: 

I understand the issues of the nuclear but it's one of the only (if not the only) to have a cheap and clean energy with a stable production all over the year.

We're at a turning point where we can't ignore climate evolution and the toxic effect of CO2 emissions. Opening charcoal power stations could actually be way more risky on the longterm than keeping nuclear power plants.

Economy
1 hour ago, Florian said:

I'm a (very) pro-nuclear :laughga: 

I understand the issues of the nuclear but it's one of the only (if not the only) to have a cheap and clean energy with a stable production all over the year.

We're at a turning point where we can't ignore climate evolution and the toxic effect of CO2 emissions. Opening charcoal power stations could actually be way more risky on the longterm than keeping nuclear power plants.

Yeah coal is the worst

Nuclear hasn't prevented our crazy hydro rates tho but that's largely because of some real big mismanagement issues. Hydro is a big political topic here in Ontario

Quebec was gonna start selling us more power (in that Province power costs like 1/4 what ours cost) but I haven't heard anything about it actually going forward

I just want cheaper electricity so we can start attracting plants again!!!!

jesse_batista