Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

CEREMONY: Selling England by The Pound - Genesis

SolidSnake

Featured Posts

SolidSnake

#4 - The Battle of Epping Forest - Rating 8.1

"The Battle of Epping Forest" was inspired by a news story that Gabriel had read several years previously about the territorial battles by two rival gangs in the East End of Londonthat would fight in Epping Forest. He placed an advertisement in The Times and looked through library archives in attempt to find more about the story, but was unable to find any further information, so he created his own fictional characters, including "Liquid Len", "Harold Demure" and "The Bethnal Green Butcher".[14][34] Upon hearing a rehearsal take of the song in July 1973, reporter Chris Welch wrote: "'The 'Battle' has a catchy march theme with typical Genesis drum and bass lines, clean and precise". The lyrics have since been praised for their humour and wit, but they did not gel well with the music, which the band subsequently felt was complicated for the sake of being so. Gabriel thought its ending, which had each gang settling the issue over the toss of a coin, tied up the story well but is too much of an anti-climax.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lowest Rating: @Oriane - 6.5 

"I like the energy but I don’t really enjoy the sudden changes in the rhythm, melody etc."

Highest Rating: @KING - 10

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That J
1 minute ago, Rumours1977 said:

Well, just remember...

I'm in LOVE!!!!

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J

*sigh* yes!  Ok.  I'm feeling pretty good now. @Oriane.....I'm watching you!!!

That J
Just now, SolidSnake said:

I am surprised in you folks. 

It LOOKS like we gave high ratings tho. Most rates have 2s and 4s across the board.  I hope you are pleasantly surprised. 

Oriane

I Know What I Like still needs to go

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

That J
Just now, Oriane said:

I Know What I Like still needs to go

That should be number 2  

That J

Where are we?  How many are left? 

Oriane

The first three songs are left. Interesting.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

That J
6 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

Well, just remember...

I usually always remember my raincoat but if I dont, I know how to pull the car out and park it under the deck.  

:staymad:

SolidSnake

These next two were tied down to the decimal point so I'm going to make an executive decision. 

#3 - I Know What I Like in Your Wardrobe - Rating 8.7 

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" came out of a jam session by the group around one of Hackett's guitar riffs. He had presented the riff to the group previously, but it had been rejected because it sounded too much like the Beatles. Gilbert described an early listening of the song as "Hints of quaint English romanticism" that, according to Gabriel, was initially intended to have more of a folk-oriented melody. The percussion sounds heard at the beginning is Gabriel playing with a talking drum that Burns had purchased from Nigeria. It was released as a single from the album, which became the first of the group's to chart in the UK"

a7e3f32aec1fdbf9da485294beecfa04--peter-

"It has a little Pet Shop Boys vibe, I like it but I like their more experimental, orchestral music."

Highest Rating: Tied between @KING and @That J with a 10! 

"Literally nothing sounds like this and this, a single, is better for it! This is Funk-n-Roll music with amazing and very underrated harmony to boot. Check out 1:19-1:40. That is GOD. "

That J
1 minute ago, SolidSnake said:

These next two were tied down to the decimal point so I'm going to make an executive decision. 

#3 - I Know What I Like in Your Wardrobe - Rating 8.7 

a7e3f32aec1fdbf9da485294beecfa04--peter-

"It has a little Pet Shop Boys vibe, I like it but I like their more experimental, orchestral music."

Highest Rating: Tied between @KING and @That J with a 10! 

"Literally nothing sounds like this and this, a single, is better for it! This is Funk-n-Roll music with amazing and very underrated harmony to boot. Check out 1:19-1:40. That is GOD. "

That is a FAVE!  Wow. Great taste @KING

That J

Omg.  So ...

Ok.  KNIGHT HAS TO WIN. 

SolidSnake

I couldnt believe this song tied with the next one. The next one is better in my opinion 

Archived