question

Why did the applause MV not smash?

Mirrion Rizzons

Featured Posts

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ArtGagaPop

It did kind of smash though, atleast when it was new. It almost broke the record for having the most views in a day (about 10M, the record at the time was 10.7M) and it was also her fastest video to reach 100M and was the  #43th most video of 2013 (applause wasn't out for the first 7,5 months of the year).

The problem why it is lacking in views today is that she didn't follow up that video with another great video withinn a few months. You have to keep releasing videos to keep growing your channel and boost your old videos. If the DWUW video had come around the AMA peformance, it would been a huge hit for her since dwuw was already doing good on spotify, radio and Itunes. That would have helped the applause video too, to keep haivng a good daily avg in views in late 2013 and the start of 2014. Instead she left DWUW to die on the charts and didn't release a video and we didn't hear much from her in months. Then she randomly released G.U.Y video (12min long) and didn't push anything for the song other then that. That video also did great in the start but didn't have any radio support or anything else to keep it up that's why both videos slowly died in views. She then left her vevo channel for 2,5 years (I don't count the C2C videos and TITHY as anything that would have gained alot of views) only to come back with an video for an unpromoted and disliked lead single. 

So in short, the reason why Applause and alot of her other videos are doing so poorly now is because she had very few videos released during 2012-2018 and didn't really promote any song other then MR and that video also lacked monster support so what could been a great new start for her youtube account didn't bring much more then a small boost to her channel. 

ArtGagaPop
22 minutes ago, Alan123 said:

Nobody cared about Gaga during ARTPOP except for the fans. It's harsh but it's true.

I heard alot of people play and sing Applause and DWUW, much more then anything from born this way. I feel like the industry was against gaga during ARTPOP (media, critics, her team etc) but did the gp really care less about her music? I feel like the failure of the ARTPOP era was more of a managment issue then the gp not liking her songs :oprah:

monketsharona

Well it was still doing quite good...

Nowadays she's having issues to get 10M or 30M views (and please don't bring MR video, without SB it would be stuck around 30-40M views today..)

To get more views she still need a song that impact in a lot of countries all around the world, not only in the US. Even fans are not really supporting her videos anymore... 

TEANUS

like you recognized, it did very well at first because like it or not, Applause was a smash hit. It's a signature hit at this point. I have GP friends say, "I respect her now and know she's mega talented but I still miss the old Gaga like Poker Face and Applause". 

The problem was what was the problem with the rest of the ARTPOP era....it fell off. Had DWUW gotten a video followed by other singles/ videos like Gypsy AND G.U.Y., it would easily be at 500 million plus. The GP liked ARTPOP and loved Do What U Want and Applause. 

I'll say it once and I'll say it again, it wasn't the GP during ARTPOP, it was the fans and the media. The GP had always liked/ respected Gaga like it or not. Sure they thought she was "weird" but her bops and talent has never been absolutely denied by anyone other than the media and receipt hungry stans.

Applause // Do What U Want // Gypsy // G.U.Y. // MANiCURE would've KILLED it back in the day. Gypsy as a winter single with Grammys would've slayed. G.U.Y. with The Voice, BBMAs, and MTV Movie Awards would've slayed. And MANiCURE with the VMAs would've slayed. Gaga loved promoting and performing for audiences still back then and always did, it was just when it became evident to her that she was being used and overworked by Troy and her team that it left a sour taste in her mouth. 

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

djBuffoon

For me, it's Gaga's best and most authentic video. But as for wide-reaching appeal, I don't see why it would smash. It's bizarre, dark, has many obscure references, and the song itself wasn't a blockbuster. Doesn't mean it's not a great piece, I can just easily see why many wouldn't warm up to it.

ArtGagaPop
20 minutes ago, TEANUS said:

like you recognized, it did very well at first because like it or not, Applause was a smash hit. It's a signature hit at this point. I have GP friends say, "I respect her now and know she's mega talented but I still miss the old Gaga like Poker Face and Applause". 

The problem was what was the problem with the rest of the ARTPOP era....it fell off. Had DWUW gotten a video followed by other singles/ videos like Gypsy AND G.U.Y., it would easily be at 500 million plus. The GP liked ARTPOP and loved Do What U Want and Applause. 

I'll say it once and I'll say it again, it wasn't the GP during ARTPOP, it was the fans and the media. The GP had always liked/ respected Gaga like it or not. Sure they thought she was "weird" but her bops and talent has never been absolutely denied by anyone other than the media and receipt hungry stans.

Applause // Do What U Want // Gypsy // G.U.Y. // MANiCURE would've KILLED it back in the day. Gypsy as a winter single with Grammys would've slayed. G.U.Y. with The Voice, BBMAs, and MTV Movie Awards would've slayed. And MANiCURE with the VMAs would've slayed. Gaga loved promoting and performing for audiences still back then and always did, it was just when it became evident to her that she was being used and overworked by Troy and her team that it left a sour taste in her mouth. 

Gypsy and MANiCURE were both sure to be smash hits :giveup:, The ARTPOP era had so much potential but all the **** happening behind the scenes just killed the era :crossed:

scallywally

Its wouldve been better if she had a video with a sense of humour. It came across a bit pretentious and funny for the wrong reasons. The song deserved a completely different treatment. The songs catchy! 

DonnieDarko
1 hour ago, Alan123 said:

Nobody cared about Gaga during ARTPOP except for the fans. It's harsh but it's true.

Actually, Applause was met with warmer reception than any single from BTW excluding TEOG. She was on track to get the gp behind her again but the whole era collapsed soon after, sadly.

ordinarynam1310

Too many references jammed into one song made it messy to watch and people was expecting something 9-10 minutes long.

Well, not everyone but i did :selena:

TEANUS
19 minutes ago, Antonoff said:

the gp isn't here for gaga anymore though

I hope you mean "wasn't"....Even if that's indeed what you meant you're far mistaken. She's always had their attention when it comes to bops, live performance, and look. Like I said, even when they thought she was "weird" they still bopped and went to see her live.

"Isn't" isn't accurate either cause the GP loves Gaga now possibly even more than they did in 2009

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Archived