đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Disco Will Be The Next HUGE Genre

ApplauseftAdele

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

Disco was here from 2013 to 2015. A disco album even won AOTY Grammy. I don't know about the next genre, but I find your theory very flawed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Helxig said:

Her music has always been disco influenced, but smash together Joanne and disco and we will be bopping for years.

The chorus of Bad Romance certainly was.

I live outside the space time continuum.

it sure seems like it's not going to happen

but okay

synthpop and new wave had revivals, funk music as well. Even disco had a little one. Nothing seems to stick besides the indie musicians influenced by these things

It could happen but it's not guaranteed. Will we get a revival of an old genre or will we get a new one that hasn't been in the mainstream yet? Maybe both simultaneously. 

Kahzandra

I completely agree and have been predicting that this will be the next wave of club music.  It's been so long since a house/disco influenced sound dominated the dance charts.  The last disco-esque genre to dominate was Nu Disco which peaked around 2006, (Freemasons, Stonebridge, Eric Prydz, Dimitri from Paris, Alcazar).

I think the coming trend will be drawing from a mid-late 90s disco/house/eurodance/electronica/trance sound, influenced by Motiv8, Junior Vasquez, the Lisa Marie Experience, Fatboy Slim, Sasha, Club69, Orbital, Gusto, Nuyorican Soul, Way Out West.  Also, it seems some of the more recent vaporwave releases follow a similar parallel they will ultimately cross pollinate. 

Typically fashion and music trends sort of follow eachother's path, and I'm seeing so much mid-late 90s fashion coming back around.   Been noticing DJs sneaking in some old forgotten 90s disco-house and eurodance tunes into their sets already.   Everything moves on a pendulum, and it's been years since any kind of funky deep,house-ish sound has been popular.  By now, the days of huge drops, and all this trap-ish, post dubstep stuff is starting to die off.

I think we are going to start to hear dance music in these styles again:

That Tom Ford song was amazing, imagine if she came back with something like that.

OT: I doubt it. With streaming so popular, the urban reign won't let up.

StrawberryBlond

It already made a comeback between 2013-2015 when Get Lucky (and the Random Access Memories album in general) became a hit and inspired a trend in 2013. Pharrell made a disco album with G I R L in 2014. Paloma Faith also went in a disco direction with her 2014 album because of the trend.

I for one hope that was a very bizarre fad that never comes back, and I realise I'm in the minority when I say that, but seriously, with very rare exceptions, I can't stand the genre. For a form of music that's supposed to be all about making you want to dance, I couldn't imagine a genre that I'd rather dance to less. Most of it is so boring and emotionless, from lyrics to production.

derpmonster
21 hours ago, Derpplause said:

I think vaporwave disco may become the new trend...

tenor.gif?itemid=7910145

I can see it happen

I read that as vaporware which makes sense because IT'S NOT HAPPENING :trollga:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

ApplauseftAdele
8 hours ago, Ronk said:

The chorus of Bad Romance certainly was.

Explain? I really don't know much on disco :-)

ApplauseftAdele
2 hours ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

That Tom Ford song was amazing, imagine if she came back with something like that.

OT: I doubt it. With streaming so popular, the urban reign won't let up.

True but there are some pop hits that somehow did super well despite streaming. Shape of U, That's What i Like, etc. if Gaga makes a good enough song maybe it might be able to overcome trap. Fingers crossed!

4 minutes ago, ApplauseftAdele said:

True but there are some pop hits that somehow did super well despite streaming. Shape of U, That's What i Like, etc. if Gaga makes a good enough song maybe it might be able to overcome trap. Fingers crossed!

Thats What I Like is more R&B, but yeah there were a few pop hits. Gaga needs a cool sounding song with a cool image/aesthetic.

Lord Temptation
8 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Disco was here from 2013 to 2015. A disco album even won AOTY Grammy. I don't know about the next genre, but I find your theory very flawed.

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It already made a comeback between 2013-2015 when Get Lucky (and the Random Access Memories album in general) became a hit and inspired a trend in 2013. Pharrell made a disco album with G I R L in 2014. Paloma Faith also went in a disco direction with her 2014 album because of the trend.

I for one hope that was a very bizarre fad that never comes back, and I realise I'm in the minority when I say that, but seriously, with very rare exceptions, I can't stand the genre. For a form of music that's supposed to be all about making you want to dance, I couldn't imagine a genre that I'd rather dance to less. Most of it is so boring and emotionless, from lyrics to production.

1 hour ago, insight said:

Disco funk was in full force in 2013

There was only that one album by Daft Punk and it was hardly disco. Pharrels album flopped. That whole 2013 disco phase was manufactured EDM with disco touches to appeal to conservative voters (who generally don’t dance) to get a Grammy for Daft Punk, and it worked. 

It was not a movement. It did not influence any new artists. It did’t go anywhere. It didn’t offer anything new.

Archived