Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd won't work with H&M again

OBEY

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince
Just now, Doot said:

BUT DO THEY STILL? NO.

People have been calling their children who CLIMB ON THINGS MONKEYS.

Would you find this picture racist is it was a black kid?

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't quote me with whataboutism 

Clearly context is important, however the lack of knowledge about such terms is worrisome 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
codymonster
10 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

As I said, it's the unfortunate visual that is being displayed. That's all. And I think all the anti-SWJ people here in this thread are are trying to make it seem like others are trying to make WW3 out of this.

I think the anti-SWJ’s are upset about this complaining because it’s almost disrespectful to the people who ACTUALLY have to deal with real, hateful racism. They complain about EVERYTHING, and it’s ironic, because it’s never that bad and it’s always privileged people who don’t have to deal with actual issues that are doing so :cryga:

I’m all for equality and treating people with kindness, but it’s also important to understand when to fight a battle and when to understand that the intent was not racist or evil, so not to go there.

DeleteMyAccount
Just now, Chic said:

I can understand this history at least from the context of what I see people feel similarly about within the trans community regarding stereotypes, but I don't take offense to those really.

I find it hilariously counterproductive because all any of this kind of thing does is legitimately make it worse for the communities 'insulted' than it would if it were just left alone

THANK YOU for such a level headed response. I agree. 

But I don't see harm in discussing it. I believe that there are people here that choose not to hear the concerns and continue to deny any unfortunate marketing decisions. It's not a hard discussion. And there are people in this thread that really such just get out if they don't agree. 

And I apologize for bringing up trans representation in the thread if it offended. But I brought the issue up because Urban Outfitters had very similar issues like this years ago with their merchandise and I wanted to know if you had a similar or different take on the event. I believe it's important to ask these questions especially if they are brought to us in a more specific and personal way.

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, codymonster said:

I think the anti-SWJ’s are upset about this complaining because it’s almost disrespectful to the people who ACTUALLY have to deal with real, hateful racism. They complain about EVERYTHING, and it’s ironic, because it’s never that bad and it’s always privileged people who don’t have to deal with actual issues that are doing so :cryga:

I’m all for equality and treating people with kindness, but is also important to understand when to fight a battle and when to understand that the intent was not racism or evil, so not to go there.

I think people who deal with these issues are the ones who speak out too. 

I don’t think any malice was meant by it, what baffles me is how many people that photo went through and nobody for a second thought “ok we better not use this”....??!!!!

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

Ironically enough these "anti-SJW" claim only "liberal privileged people" complain and are "offended by everything" yet they don't listen to the "actual victims" of oppression either. 

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, Doot said:

I don't use made up words, so I have no idea what that even is, first of all.

Second, context is important, yes. And a black child wearing a childrens shirt about monkeys in the jungle, is no different than a black child using something called "monkey bars". 

The use of the word monkey is in relation, NOT to the color of someones skin, unless YOU specifically make it that way.

It's not a made up word. Get informed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

codymonster
Just now, ZacharyMark said:

Clearly not seriously tho, if they can’t handle a little boy wearing a monkey sweater :laughga: If that triggers you that bad, you need to reevaluate. Or just not by the sweater. But people need to understand that for a huge chunk of the African American population, this isn’t offensive. It’s a children’s shirt that is calling a kid, of any colour, a monkey.

4 minutes ago, codymonster said:

I’m all for equality and treating people with kindness, but is also important to understand when to fight a battle and when to understand that the intent was not racism or evil, so not to go there.

THANK. YOU. 

DeleteMyAccount
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

Ironically enough these "anti-SJW" claim only "liberal privileged people" complain and are "offended by everything" yet they don't listen to the "actual victims" of oppression either. 

Exactly. Or why even show up to the conversation if they already think it's stupid and offensive to their own agenda. It's what you said: ironic.

Haroon

Mess :air: Like I don’t think H&M would do this on purpose or that they’re actually racist but how can you miss seeing that some people will be outraged at this :deadbanana: Surely someone would’ve been like “hold up :gum:” when seeing this at the photoshoot or in the editing room or when deciding what to publish? :rip: 

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, codymonster said:

Clearly not seriously tho, if they can’t handle a little boy wearing a monkey sweater :laughga: If that triggers you that bad, you need to reevaluate. Or just not by the sweater. But people need to understand that for a huge chunk of the African American population, this isn’t offensive. It’s a children’s shirt that is calling a kid, of any colour, a monkey.

Well and that's what I've been saying too. This sweater itself isn't racist. What I and hopefully most other people are saying is that the pictures of the sweaters are a bit unfortunate at the very least. I mean you can't deny that. 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived