Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

[THEORY] "Joanne-Ga" Was A Marketing Strategy

ApplauseftAdele

Featured Posts

lost in limbo

I basically agree on everything except the "using a person she never known thing" bc it's just not Gaga 

Besides, I understand the connection with someone who she never knew, its the same with me and my grandfather (who even has the same name as me)

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killa
11 minutes ago, Lippoutou said:

A-Yo was almost a single at some point so I don't think it was "all planned".

lol if something we learned from gaga's career is that nothing is planned, well not much more than 1 week ahead. She's always made last minute plans/changes.

Lippoutou
1 minute ago, Killa said:

lol if something we learned from gaga's career is that nothing is planned, well not much more than 1 week ahead. She's always made last minute plans/changes.

THIS :laughga:

So let's not start with topics like "Lady Gaga the Illuminati invented her Joanne personna to be loved by the GP again".

Slayer

Yes, definitely damage control. I also think she knew she would perform at the Super Bowl as far back as January/February 2016 before she started making Joanne, so she might have wanted to create an Americana album that appealed to the Super Bowl's  audience, i.e. over 100 million Americans. Joanne album sales soared after the SB,  Million Reasons became a big hit in the U.S., and the tour sold out straight away. It was such a great tactic to make Joanne and she has definitely secured her career again.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

lost in limbo
Just now, Lippoutou said:

THIS :laughga:

So let's not start with topics like "Lady Gaga the Illuminati invented her Joanne personna to be loved by the GP again".

That's not true tho.

They had the conscience since 2013 she needed to clean her image. She also needed this album. But singles and stuff are always chosen after the album is made, so let's not.

Slayer

One thing I am really happy about is that she's slowly reintroduced us to CrazyGa without being offensive or overly weird. Coachella and the Joanne Tour have given me hope that the next era will see Gaga return to avant garde art and a more theatrical approach to performances. I think this time round, the public will appreciate her slightly weirder side because everybody and their aunt knows she has the talent to back it up now.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

lost in limbo
3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Yes, definitely damage control. I also think she knew she would perform at the Super Bowl as far back as January/February 2016 before she started making Joanne, so she might have wanted to create an Americana album that appealed to the Super Bowl's  audience, i.e. over 100 million Americans. Joanne album sales soared after the SB,  Million Reasons became a big hit in the U.S., and the tour sold out straight away. It was such a great tactic to make Joanne and she has definitely secured her career again.

Basically this.

It was both for her and for her image.

JohnWayne92
15 minutes ago, Fernster7 said:

Literally every song on Joanne shits on half of her discography tho.:classy:

Yas. Agreed. 

LittleMonster20

I feel like this era was kind of a break for her,she has been working for 6 years,and had just 4-5 months to recover from her hip surgery,while she actually needed 7 months to fully recover.

But i have the feeling that the next era will be all-Gaga again,with pop/EDM music,crazy outfits,wigs,more photoshoots,more promotion,more music video's,more interviews and everything she was taking a break of during the Joanne era.

Modern Ecstacy

I agree to an extent but disagree with the part where Gaga made the music and physical appearance to please the GP.

Gaga is one of the most authentic artists of our generation. Her whole branding is around "be your f**king self to the grave". I legit believe this normal self is how she's feeling right now. If she still felt like making crazy music and wearing crazy clothes, she would do so. I have my full faith in her 

It's more like her being toned down is like hitting two birds with one stone, where it's also making her more appealing to the GP

52 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

Then why didn't Joanne outsell ARTPOP numbers? :oprah:

Because Joanne was released in 2016 not in 2013 ?:oprah: :oprah: :oprah:

Eddie A Michael
1 hour ago, GagaInTheZone said:

It definitely was to clean her image. Her Bedtime Stories era

Then ASIB will be her Evita phase, then followed by a masterpiece like ROL!! Yay!!

giskardsb

if you think her connection with her aunt isn't real you haven't paid attention to Gaga interviews during her entire career.

Anti-Joanne fans keep trying to find reasons why Joanne doesn't represent the "real" Gaga.  Just like anti-ARTPOP fans tried to discredit ARTPOP as not authentic.

Face the real fact... Gaga is a more diverse and influenced artist than her fanbase, and many fans apparently can't understand her multi-dimensionality.

ApplauseftAdele
1 hour ago, sipthistea said:

But the OP says it's a marketing strategy. Then it should have increased Gaga's sales, and it was the other way around. It went against of what many would have expected from her to deliver.

I'd say The Cure was a marketing strategy. Joanne? No way

Well in the end, PR is marketing. By cleaning Gaga's image from her ARTPOP backlash it equates to more sales in the future.

Miel

I think it was just a perfect storm for Gaga- a chance (and maybe even necessity) to be viewed as "authentic", while actually being authentic to her music and performance.

After the last few years, she needed a break from the craziness (and apparently so did the GP). With Cheek to Cheek, her role in AHS, and her overall break, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for her to do something a little more mellow and less outrageous.

I think her aesthetic for Joanne is as authentic as her aesthetic for her previous albums- generally some sort of exaggeration of what she genuinely and truly feels. I don't think anything at the core of the album is inauthentic (she's been talking about her aunt and the effect of it on her family since her first album; her emotional connection to the music is more than obvious, especially with early performances of MR and more recent performances of Joanne).

Every other aspect of how her label/team/management is trying to showcase her to a general audience is very PR, yes, but it doesn't necessarily make her less authentic; rather, they're playing up what is already there.

3 points in and ready for more

Archived