Jump to content
Stefani Tee

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

society

'13 Reasons' blamed for teen suicides

Featured Posts

DiamondAngel
1 minute ago, slayo said:

What conversations?

Have you not been reading all of the news about this show? It has started a worldwide discussion about mental health! 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
slayo
2 minutes ago, GAGA1972 said:

Have you not been reading all of the news about this show? It has started a worldwide discussion about mental health! 

It seems as if all it's done is f*** things up.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Born To Slay
1 minute ago, slayo said:

It seems as if all it's done is f*** things up.

It actually changed my outlook on life in a very positive way. I'm very greatful to the show. I'm sorry other people got the wrong message but I still think it's gr8.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheShameMonster

People should only take the show seriously TO AN EXTENT. Its main purpose is to be a teen mystery/crime show. It just so happens that its themes centre around suicide/bullying and adolescent psychology. Teens should not be going to a TV show for life advice. Everything Hollywood makes is unrealistic af and serves as ENTERTAINMENT at the end of the day. 

I think the main moral of the series is to show that actions have consequences, to encourage us to treat the people around us a little better, and to COMMUNICATE more. However, I believe the series does NOTHING whatsoever to help people coping with suicidal thoughts. In the show, the students of Liberty High seem to realize and mourn their mistakes AFTER Hannah killed herself. Doesn't this trigger the thought that suicide is actually effective in solving the problem and leaving an impact? I don't think people should be parading around the fact that this show is saving lives and doing so much because 13RW looks like any other teen drama except it takes itself just a bit more seriously.

NEVER REALLY OVER IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS OF ALL TIME

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DiamondAngel
Just now, slayo said:

It seems as if all it's done is f*** things up.

A person is not going to kill themselves because a girl on a show did. Clearly these people had major problems that were not addressed, and maybe 13RW will end some of the stigma around mental illness and in the future,get those problems addressed. I mean damn, should we censor everything because the kids will do what they see in the media? Let's just look at Gaga's work.

- ban AHS so kids don't become murderers

- pull ARTPOP for promoting drug use

- pull Born This Way for lyrics about depression

Every show has dark themes because that's what make shows interesting. If the kids watching go off the deep end, the show is not to blame. Clearly they were predisposed to whatever fate befalls them. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snejana
17 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

Because it sparked a conversation (multiple different conversations really) that needed to happen.

true, it sparked conversations but not in the best way. 13 piles of garbage why dealt with serious issues? yes, but in a very shallow manner, it didnt provide any deep onlook onto the lives of people dealing with depression, bullying, abuse etc. at the end of the day this series only glamourized suicide despite netflix's efforts to say it didnt

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Decodekid

It's more easy to blame a show than to look for a reason someone comititted suicide. 

Im Harol don't tell anyone

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
M Monstre

Obviously it's very tragic with what the girls did. No family should have to suffer through that kind of loss, and no kid, no human, should have to go through such depressing situations.

However, I feel like blaming the show is too much. The show, while it night have been the thing that put it over-the-top, isn't the reason why they killed themselves. Suicide isn't just something someone just decides to do one day. It stems from months, even years of traumatic, saddening situations, so instead of blaming the show, blame the people that made those girls so sad.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
River

It's sad but honestly, I'm tired of parents that throwing the guilt on the rest of the world but not on themselves. they clearly said that their daughters are struggling with mental health and the tv show was everywhere so they couldn't avoid the knowledge of it's existence, so maybe just maybe, once, a parent could be responsible for what their kid is watching?

It just feels that the parents of today's generation are just not parenting..

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katie14

The show has good and bad messages. I think most of us see the benefits of the show but I do think it glamorized suicide and made it seem like the ultimate epic revenge and solution.  Kids who are extremely depressed may watch the show and think killing themselves will immortalize them and teach those around them a lesson the way that Hannah did in the show. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snejana
28 minutes ago, GAGA1972 said:

A person is not going to kill themselves because a girl on a show did. Clearly these people had major problems that were not addressed, and maybe 13RW will end some of the stigma around mental illness and in the future,get those problems addressed. I mean damn, should we censor everything because the kids will do what they see in the media? Let's just look at Gaga's work.

- ban AHS so kids don't become murderers

- pull ARTPOP for promoting drug use

- pull Born This Way for lyrics about depression

Every show has dark themes because that's what make shows interesting. If the kids watching go off the deep end, the show is not to blame. Clearly they were predisposed to whatever fate befalls them. 

nnnnnn yes in fact people will commit suicide after reading/watching/listening to something that triggers and encourages it, it's called copycat suicide.

and lets not compare lmao, gaga always talked abt depression and drug use in a very responsible manner its not like she encourages her fans to shoot up heroine and commit suicide as a heroic act. AHS and those kids are PURE FANTASY, a bunch of vampire kids with super human strenght going on a killing spree is very unlikely to happen, very different from hannah and her life (both very tangible and verisimilar ). 

Please be careful when you say Suicide and depression are "fate", it seems like those poor kids deserved to die 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ugly Boy
46 minutes ago, AIex said:

oh no a character committed suicide on this show I watched so I must kill myself as well :selena:

this is now at least 3 mentally ill teenagers that we know of that have killed themselves as a direct response to being triggered by the graphic depiction of suicide from this show not because of ****ing hannah baker 

i had just come out of hospitalisation for my depression when i watched this and i relapsed because of it - people are dead and more people are going to die so please shut up 

i will fight anyone about anything

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DiamondAngel
1 minute ago, Snejana said:

nnnnnn yes in fact people will commit suicide after reading/watching/listening to something that triggers and encourages it, it's called copycat suicide.

and lets not compare lmao, gaga always talked abt depression and drug use in a very responsible manner its not like she encourages her fans to shoot up heroine and commit suicide as a heroic act. AHS and those kids are PURE FANTASY, a bunch of vampire kids with super human strenght going on a killing spree is very unlikely to happen, very different from hannah and her life (both very tangible and verisimilar ). 

Please be careful when you Suicide and depression are "fate", it seems like those poor kids deserved to die 

1.) You are confusing the word fate with the word karma. 

2.) No one will kill themselves SOLELY because of a show, and if they do, then they have mental problems. Period. Sane people will never do that. 

But it seems like you agree with me because I agree with what you said about Gaga. It's ridiculous to censor art/entertainment! But if we start with 13RW, why not ARTPOP, which despite Gaga's talks on drugs, promotes drug use in MJH and JND? Why not AHS, which is one of the most violent shows on TV? We cannot censor art. It's immoral and wrong. And it's terrifying.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
AIex
10 minutes ago, Versus said:

this is now at least 3 mentally ill teenagers that we know of that have killed themselves as a direct response to being triggered by the graphic depiction of suicide from this show not because of ****ing hannah baker 

i had just come out of hospitalisation for my depression when i watched this and i relapsed because of it - people are dead and more people are going to die so please shut up 

I've been hospitalized for suicide attempts before, I've relapsed but pretended nothings happened to avoid risk of people thinking its a home/family issue. I've had to fake recovery to be let out of the hospital I was in (which actually legitimately ran very similar to the prison in Orange is the New Black) and I wasn't allowed to read any books I was brought there because they were probably considered too gay. It included Alice in Wonderland and a Judy Garland biography. Get over yourself. You should think about seeing your therapist more often if you think a Netflix drama show for teens encourages you to self harm.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...