Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Shout out to Kim Kardashian

Bebe

Featured Posts

Bebe

So Kim Kardashian and the rest of the Kardashian/Jenner clan are an easy target. They are constantly criticised for being famous without having any discernible marketable talent and they are held up as this example of vapid celebrity.

While a lot of this criticism may have some merit, I think it's actually very impressive to see how Kim Kardashian especially has been able to market herself and create this brand around her persona.

She went from being a friend of Paris Hilton that nobody really cared about:

anigif_enhanced-3601-1443092193-12.gif?d

To capitalising off a sex tape so that she could score a hit reality T.V show and score covers on mags like Playboy 
kim-kardashian-playboy.jpg

With that early fame she was able, with her sisters and family, to market a range of products:

kim-khloe-kardashian-quiktrim.jpg
kim-kardashian-perfect-skin-gc.jpg?qualikim-kardashian-skechers-instyle-0411.jpgKim-Kardashian-QuickTrim-Diet3.jpgkim-kardashian-credit-card-10222015.png

Replacing once BFF Paris Hilton as the reality star of her time.

What I find most impressive though is that, this sort of celebrity can only last so long (Take Paris Hilton as an example), yet she was able to reinvent herself to the point that now she covers magazines like Vogue:

article-2599937-1CE8E3B200000578-567_634o-KIM-KARDASHIAN-VOGUE-AUSTRALIA-900.jpgkim-kardashian-vogue-covers.jpg39109-1_og.jpg

and she has been able to grow her brand from endorsing tacky weight loss pills to sitting front seat at fashion events and scoring her own apps
kkappjpg.jpg

That led to a Forbes cover:

kim-kardashian-forbes-net-worth-game.jpg

and a range of Celebrities jumping on the bandwagon:

hqdefault.jpg120716-music-Nicki-Minaj-app-1.jpg

She has been able to go from an unknown associate of Paris Hilton to one of the most recognisable and successful stars on the planet just through marketing herself and slowly growing and evolving her brand. 

How many stars do you know whose first big magazine cover was Playboy and then within a few years end up on Vogue magazine? How many reality shows do you know that have run for 10 years and 13 seasons?

She has evolved from a 'trashy' reality star with a sex-tape compared to the likes of Paris Hilton and Snooki to becoming a mogul and high fashion favourite.

It's hard to go from:
enhanced-29627-1412852900-32.jpgenhanced-4421-1412852938-9.jpgKim+Kardashian+William+Rast+Unveils+Spri

To:

kim-kardashian-4.jpg?w=669425_kim_kardashian_getty611942610.jpgkim-k-1.jpg?w=669

kim-kardashian-lucky-magazine-october-cocosmopolitan-australia-1-1.jpegvgk0Fxz.jpg

To:

o-KIM-KARDASHIAN-CR-FASHION-BOOK-faceboo111-17671-kim-kardashian-love-magazine-f0d2a0321-5702-4cc9-8499-2adcb8e068e6.jpg

Her transformation might be the most drastic celebrity transformation in recent memory. So whatever you think of Kim Kardashian and what she represents, I respect her ability to market herself and create a $150 million dollar empire around her brand that's managed to stay strong for 10 years at this point.

I've never watched an episode of KUWTK in my life, I don't really care for shows like that, but what Kim and her family has achieved is very impressive.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BLACKOUTbritney

Shout out to Kris too :diane:

She is a marketing and management genius! She literally turned her families personal lives into a $300 million empire 

Ryusei

My problem with them is not their lack of talent but that they are not interesting whatsoever there is nothing intrigueing about any of them to me. Marketing themselves and whatever aside, get a good manager and you can do the same. Just act as if you're famous and one day people will think you actually are which in turn leads to people ACTUALLY thinking you're famous. And let's be honest she got famous off her sextape where's the mention of that?

Musery

gagagoogoose

Funny how a sex tape can change an entire family (of course with good branding and PR stunts too). Still using these iconic gifs.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jenniferella
5 minutes ago, Sam Dey said:

No. The Kardashians are everything that's wrong with the world tbh

That's not true and you know it, otherwise you have a very limited view of the current world we are living in.

That said, they are what make young girls go wrong and feel bad about themselves. Nothing about them is even remotely real and it genuinely hurts me to see all those young girls in the streets having the exact same make up, style etc.

They are profiting off stupid/weak people.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Bebe

It kinda reminds me of Angelina going from freaky, fringe, wild child who had a "Billy Bob" tattoo:

billyu.jpg

A vial of his blood:
4e24d510-59ef-11e4-99fb-e381a4c366df_Ang

made out with her brother:
Angelina-Jolies-hospital-stay-self-harm-

Who talked about self harming and using Heroin

To this Hollywood darling

jolie-reu-L.jpg

Mother of the earth maternal figure:

nintchdbpict0002684288214.jpg?w=960&stri

Who is a UN ambassador:

angelina-at-un2.jpg

And Mother Teresa type humanitarian:

4f8d3ab76.jpg
jolie-charity-INTRO-630.jpg
519513521.jpg?w=720

I mean these celebrities and their personas, brands and public image can switch so fast. It's incredible and super fascinating. 

funkyhaus

People label them "uninteresting" etc etc, but there's obviously a reason they're worth what they're worth and there is a market out there for them. People are just pressed because they don't see that, but you have to applaud her for what she's achieved :whitney:

Bebe
10 minutes ago, Sam Dey said:

No. The Kardashians are everything that's wrong with the world tbh

I think that's a bit OTT.

Like I said, there is a lot to criticise the Kardashian/Jenner clan about, but their public transformations and the way they have cultivated their brand is very impressive.

Pharamon

impressive? wow... I think it's the world becoming worse and worse...

plus you basically mean that her amount of money is impressive to you - good for you

Bebe
5 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

My problem with them is not their lack of talent but that they are not interesting whatsoever there is nothing intrigueing about any of them to me. Marketing themselves and whatever aside, get a good manager and you can do the same. Just act as if you're famous and one day people will think you actually are which in turn leads to people ACTUALLY thinking you're famous. And let's be honest she got famous off her sextape where's the mention of that?

"Marketing themselves and whatever aside, get a good manager and you can do the same."

Well... Like I said, I can't think of many celebrities that have made the transition from Playboy cover star to Vogue cover star.

"and let's be honest she got famous off her sextape where's the mention of that?"

It's literally one of the first things I mentioned?

"To capitalising off a sex tape so that she could score a hit reality T.V show and score covers on mags like Playboy... "

The rest of it seems irrelevant to the point I'm making anyway, the Kardashian/Jenner clan don't really interest me either :shrug: but being able to market yourself from 'trashy' Paris Hilton associate/reality star to $150 million dollar mogul and high fashion favourite is very impressive and something nobody else has really done.

Jenniferella
1 minute ago, funkyhaus said:

People label them "uninteresting" etc etc, but there's obviously a reason they're worth what they're worth and there is a market out there for them. People are just pressed because they don't see that, but you have to applaud her for what she's achieved :whitney:

They are uninteresting. When did reality TV shows, cosmetic surgery and being self absorbed become a source of interest ?

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

funkyhaus
Just now, Jenniferella said:

They are uninteresting. When did reality TV shows, cosmetic surgery and being self absorbed become a source of interest ?

There's obviously a market out there for them if they're getting the attention and income that they are

Bebe
1 minute ago, Skrill said:

impressive? wow... I think it's the world becoming worse and worse...

How is it not impressive? :confused: 

I'm not even a fan of the Kardashian/Jenner clan, but building a hundred million dollar empire around your self? That's impressive. Going from trashy, sex tape star to Vogue covers and apps that have made over $200 million? That's impressive.

Archived