💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Record Labels Trying To Keep Artists From 6-9 Years Ago Alive? No New Stars

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy
18 minutes ago, bitchimtrying said:

It because the music scene changed. it's no longer a career game. It costs way too much money for the record labels to invest in a career. It's cheaper to just pair them with a producer or someone like The Chainsmokers or and get one hit songs, rake in a crap ton of money, and then never bother with them again. Music, as with many other things, has become disposable. Because a disposable product earns them more money then investing in someones career. Even if you look at some of the people on this list, the budget for their most recent work has plummeted. I mean drake's music video for Hotline Bling cost like $100 and there wasn't even a video for one dance. People in the music industry have no interest in spending money in order to make money, they would rather just starve the artists of funds.

I dunno if that makes sense tho. Singles hardly make any money at all these days unless its a really big hit

if anything big artists are the ones that can make good money still because touring hasnt declined anywhere near the extent that sales have.

An artist with 1 or 2 hits can barely tour theatres. Why wouldnt they invest in a career? I dont think its that they dont want to. I think that streaming and the ability for people to access what they want has reduced record labels ability to promote and force artists they choose down peoples throats thus making it harder to create super stars!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ronnie

There will be a major shift in music soon and just like Gaga, the artist that brings it mainstream will reign supreme. This happens every decade. 

bitchimtrying
1 minute ago, Economy said:

I dunno if that makes sense tho. Singles hardly make any money at all these days unless its a really big hit

if anything big artists are the ones that can make good money still because touring hasnt declined anywhere near the extent that sales have.

An artist with 1 or 2 hits can barely tour theatres. Why wouldnt they invest in a career? I dont think its that they dont want to. I think that streaming and the ability for people to access what they want has reduced record labels ability to promote and force artists they choose down peoples throats thus making it harder to create super stars!

But people don't become Big Artists overnight, it takes years and millions of dollars, so why bother putting all that effort in when they can just pass that singer over to an already established producer like Diplo, Calvin Harris, Skrillex etc who has a great beat and get money instantly. The song will become popular instantly because of the names associated with it. And then they will throw that singer aside because they've made all the money they need off of them. 

And the thing about touring is that they simply don't care about it. Why invest millions of dollars in a worldwide tour when they have no guarantee that they are going to get their money back? Instead they just rely on the older more known artists to tour and earn money for them.

It's far more cost effective (In their mind) to make a cheap single and put it on spotify, that way their is no risk that they are going to loose any money. 

1 hour ago, Economy said:

Ok so thats the time span i found when i searched too

that would make her original success only 4 years old and already shes struggled

although its too early to say shes slipped into irrelevancy. She could still pop a hit

Not really she's actually peaking during Dangerous Woman than her other two era's tbh.

15 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

What artists of the last 5 years do you think have potential for success for the future?

I would say

Ariana Grande - her 3 era's have all been fairly succesful. She makes hits, DWT is selling well and her voice is phenomenal.  She may be around a while

Shawn Mendes- I know people find him basic, but let's face it, he's garnered alot of fans and because of his good looks has the potential for longevity. Tbh, Illuminate is a very good album, I love that its simplistic and does not need EDM, tropic house sounds and is very acoustic sounding and his voice is better than many other male artists.

The Weeknd- Serves good visuals, good music, possibly able to last a while.

Iggy Azalea- She is pretty new and with Mo Bounce she could recover from the Team disaster

Lorde: Her first album was successful, and Green Light is doing ok.....the album has yet to be released but will she have success with it?  Time will tell

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible contenders:

Meghan Trainor: Her first album was very successful with successful singles, but her second album Thank You had 1 successful single and the rest flopped hard. Will her 3rd studio album be able to make her recover?

Charlie Puth: We all know he mostly got radio hits from his debut album due to the success of See You Again, but his 3 singles did chart decently for a debut album. His songs are mediocre though.  Can we innovate himself and have a much better 2nd album?  I hope so, I love his voice.

Zara Larsson: Aint My Fault, Lush Life, and So Good are all pretty succesful and being played on radio, she just released her debut album. Will she see further success?  Possibly.

Alessia Cara: Here and Scars To Your Beautiful charted well, but does she have potential to make it?

The Child
43 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

I would say

Ariana Grande - her 3 era's have all been fairly succesful. She makes hits, DWT is selling well and her voice is phenomenal.  She may be around a while

Shawn Mendes- I know people find him basic, but let's face it, he's garnered alot of fans and because of his good looks has the potential for longevity. Tbh, Illuminate is a very good album, I love that its simplistic and does not need EDM, tropic house sounds and is very acoustic sounding and his voice is better than many other male artists.

Iggy Azalea- She is pretty new and with Mo Bounce she could recover from the Team disaster

Lorde: Her first album was successful, and Green Light is doing ok.....the album has yet to be released but will she have success with it?  Time will tell

Possible contenders:

Meghan Trainor: Her first album was very successful with successful singles, but her second album Thank You had 1 successful single and the rest flopped hard. Will her 3rd studio album be able to make her recover?

Charlie Puth: We all know he mostly got radio hits from his debut album due to the success of See You Again, but his 3 singles did chart decently for a debut album. His songs are mediocre though.  Can we innovate himself and have a much better 2nd album?  I hope so, I love his voice.

Zara Larsson: Aint My Fault, Lush Life, and So Good are all pretty succesful and being played on radio, she just released her debut album. Will she see further success?  Possibly.

Alessia Cara: Here and Scars To Your Beautiful charted well, but does she have potential to make it?

Iggy is not pretty new and it's done for her sadly. Except For Ariana all the others won't last.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Economy
3 hours ago, petedagrk said:

I would say

Possible contenders:

I loved iggy but she seems to of faded

and Megan Trainer to me was just annoying with the same message in every single song "im amazing u gotta respect me and i dont need no man". No wonder shes faded too

JusKeepBreathin

Ariana is relevant.  She is the number two streaming female after Rihanna. Her album went platinum and it had three platinum singles. Sia is doing well too. Alessia Cara seems to be doing pretty good. Melanie Martinez album went platinum. Shawn Mendez seems to be doing pretty well too. I think the problem is no one has broken out as a "huge star" just yet. But I have read articles and record companies actually make more money off of catalog albums then they do from new or current releases, so they have cut down investing money in new albums period withing the last two or three years. This hurts a new artist because a new artist needs the most $$$ to be recognized. I think this idea signing a new pop artist and then launching him or her with a lot of $$$ has definitely slowed down. There is more of building him or her slowly rather than throwing huge amounts of money into a new artist and hoping for a big return in their investment. 

Also what are you using to measure relevancy? 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

freebit

The music industry is just mirroring the tv and movie industries. Too much choice happening right now with streaming and people turning to other means on the internet for their entertainment.

But yeah, the stars that are coming out currently are more middle-of-the-road (Selena/Ariana/Shawn Mendes etc.) and aren't album sellers, nor shaking up pop culture in any crucial way - their sole purpose is just to release some sings and look cute. 

I read an article last year about "the rise of the mid-level pop star." This pretty much sums up the new acts that permeate the Hot 100 now days:

Middle-mastery is difficult to sniff out in a hit single. It smells like mediocrity, but it isn’t. The music of a middle-master glows with personality, but not enough to make it seem exceptional. It can be risky, but never dangerous. Its pleasures feel big, but never totally euphoric, and its emotions feel genuine, but never completely cathartic. How does a pop song nestle itself into this perfect little no-place? That’s a riddle only true middle-masters can answer.

It apparently comes more naturally to singers who began actively preparing for fame upon gaining sentience. These former kid stars don’t always get to rise to the very top of the pops, but that means they’ll never have to fall from the summit, either. Instead of burning superstar-bright, their careers might burn longer. And for showbiz kids who have been trained to nourish themselves with the roar of the crowd (and who are frequently dropped on their faces in the process), cultivating one’s stardom in this aesthetic DMZ promises a sort of longevity.

I do believe we'll see more real superstars at some point though. We're just in a weird transitional period right now. 

4 hours ago, JustLikeHoney said:

Ariana is relevant.  She is the number two streaming female after Rihanna. Her album went platinum and it had three platinum singles. Sia is doing well too. Alessia Cara seems to be doing pretty good. Melanie Martinez album went platinum. Shawn Mendez seems to be doing pretty well too. I think the problem is no one has broken out as a "huge star" just yet. But I have read articles and record companies actually make more money off of catalog albums then they do from new or current releases, so they have cut down investing money in new albums period withing the last two or three years. This hurts a new artist because a new artist needs the most $$$ to be recognized. I think this idea signing a new pop artist and then launching him or her with a lot of $$$ has definitely slowed down. There is more of building him or her slowly rather than throwing huge amounts of money into a new artist and hoping for a big return in their investment. 

Also what are you using to measure relevancy? 

I do see Ariana, Alessia and Shawn lasting a while. The One with most potential is Ariana. 

5 hours ago, Economy said:

I loved iggy but she seems to of faded

and Megan Trainer to me was just annoying with the same message in every single song "im amazing u gotta respect me and i dont need no man". No wonder shes faded too

With Iggy I guess we will see what happens after Digital Distortion is released. I think for Meghan yea she may be over but just depends on what she serves on her 3rd album.

1 hour ago, freebit said:

The music industry is just mirroring the tv and movie industries. Too much choice happening right now with streaming and people turning to other means on the internet for their entertainment.

But yeah, the stars that are coming out currently are more middle-of-the-road (Selena/Ariana/Shawn Mendes etc.) and aren't album sellers, nor shaking up pop culture in any crucial way - their sole purpose is just to release some sings and look cute. 

I read an article last year about "the rise of the mid-level pop star." This pretty much sums up the new acts that permeate the Hot 100 now days:

Middle-mastery is difficult to sniff out in a hit single. It smells like mediocrity, but it isn’t. The music of a middle-master glows with personality, but not enough to make it seem exceptional. It can be risky, but never dangerous. Its pleasures feel big, but never totally euphoric, and its emotions feel genuine, but never completely cathartic. How does a pop song nestle itself into this perfect little no-place? That’s a riddle only true middle-masters can answer.

It apparently comes more naturally to singers who began actively preparing for fame upon gaining sentience. These former kid stars don’t always get to rise to the very top of the pops, but that means they’ll never have to fall from the summit, either. Instead of burning superstar-bright, their careers might burn longer. And for showbiz kids who have been trained to nourish themselves with the roar of the crowd (and who are frequently dropped on their faces in the process), cultivating one’s stardom in this aesthetic DMZ promises a sort of longevity.

I do believe we'll see more real superstars at some point though. We're just in a weird transitional period right now. 

We'll Selena and Ariana are already succesful and well known. Shawn is also getting alot more recognition. TYB and Mercy got lots of airplay. Time will tell. But we know AG4 is actually finished so when it's released we will see how she does.

Lord Temptation

Right after Born This Way record labels flooded the market with new artists. Many unknowns were catapulted to fame between 2011-2013, and today there are only a handful of survivors. 

This decade since 2011 has been defined by extraordinarily exposed one hit wonders.

2011 - Gotye Somebody That I Used to Know

2012 - Psy Gangnam Style

2013 - Lorde Royals

2014 - Iggy Fancy

2015 - Major Lazer Lean On

2016 - Chainsmokers Closer

freebit
45 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

We'll Selena and Ariana are already succesful and well known. Shawn is also getting alot more recognition. TYB and Mercy got lots of airplay. Time will tell. But we know AG4 is actually finished so when it's released we will see how she does.

Their success ok, but not stratospheric though - which was my (and OP's) point.

Archived