💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne lacks soul

caseymonster

Featured Posts

caseymonster

let me start this topic from saying that i love joanne for the opportunities it gave to gaga and i do not say that it is a bad album by any standard.

however, i was just going thru gagas ubreleased rock-ish songs. And tbh joanne just lacks soul. When im comparing ayo to MANiCURE. That basic soulless instrumental just hurts my ears! Like it could be amazing with punchy real metal/rock instrumental (but instead we got tubas straight out of shake it off with rock vocals?! whaaaaaaaattttt) or When i compare mr to any other ballad gaga made in the past (except dope), mr just pales in comparison (honest eyes, speechless, brown eyes, captivated, no way, wonderful). And that goes to literary every song on joanne.  Joanne also suffers from too many basic lyrics. Stuff such as "one five ten lay a million on be before the end of the song" where gaga rhymes "me" with "song" just makes me doubt the existance of god. How could she write something so attrocious?                             Or that basic john wayne bridge.   Joanne is trying to sell how relatable gaga and that shes a singer/songwritter. But to me, it just comes off extremely commercially sounding album with close to zero risks taken. Creatively speaking songs like angel down (that lacks a bridge and epic outro) or even dancing in circles (that uses such annoyingly obvious metaphors that cringe me) it seems like gaga is just afraid to be creative anymore. Maybe due to ARTPOPs failure gaga is avoiding something spectacular?! 

Idk, discuss i guess.. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brainiac

Completely disagree. There are certain songs on Joanne where Gaga basically bares her soul. Like the title track and Million Reasons. Perfect Illusion and Diamond Heart are also examples where she really puts all her emotion into the vocals. I could go on but I'll keep this response short.

TimisaMonster

Joanne lacks soul...that's the theme for the Joanne Monster

bVxMYby.gif

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Gohan

And you need to F5 your soul radar

giphy.gif

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

TimisaMonster

On a serious note...I do agree to a degree...lol

I feel Joanne was a rushed concept, because we were all expecting a dark pop album again from her and then out of nowhere we got a...Gaga country album? :wtfga:

I just feel that the music she made with Mark was sub par to her "signature" sound and didn't feel well thought out.

Even Perfect Illusion feels forced and out of place on Joanne...it lacks a real "effort" since the lyrics are very repetitive, the instrumental is "light" and very simple...

Then the rest of the album is ballads and country tunes trying to NOT be as described by Gaga but...it's a country album. Was she trying to say she at least did a COUNTRY album once in here career just to say so? "I've done pop, rock, jazz, now COUNTRY"...get what I'm saying?

Delulu Rogers

um Joanne took so many risks. There are barely any commercial or gp friendly songs on the album when she could  have used the opportunity to recapture the public's love and attention that she desperately needs with radio friendly killer bops. Plus she must've known that PI as the lead or the MR music video were gonna flop so I wouldn't say she didn't take risks with this album.

Fernster7

Lmao if you think Joanne is a generic or radio friendly album you have no idea what you're talking about.

And it has more soul than half of her discography to be honest. 

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Edonis
10 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

On a serious note...I do agree to a degree...lol

I feel Joanne was a rushed concept, because we were all expecting a dark pop album again from her and then out of nowhere we got a...Gaga country album? :wtfga:

I just feel that the music she made with Mark was sub par to her "signature" sound and didn't feel well thought out.

Even Perfect Illusion feels forced and out of place on Joanne...it lacks a real "effort" since the lyrics are very repetitive, the instrumental is "light" and very simple...

Then the rest of the album is ballads and country tunes trying to NOT be as described by Gaga but...it's a country album. Was she trying to say she at least did a COUNTRY album once in here career just to say so? "I've done pop, rock, jazz, now COUNTRY"...get what I'm saying?

Timisa. Joanne is not a country album. I'm sorry you think it is, but, living in the south has taught me many random things and one of those is that Joanne is not country music. End of discussion. 

OT: there are quite a few songs on the album that in fact show her raw emotion. The instrumentation is a lot more simple than her previous albums, as are the lyrics on some songs, but I actually think it benefits that way. As timeless records are, listeners should be able to connect to the record regardless of the era, genre, etc. and I really do think Joanne accomplishes that (at least, for North American listeners for the most part). That, combined with her raw vocals, does attribute some very daring, soul infused music. 

TimisaMonster
1 minute ago, Edonis said:

Timisa. Joanne is not a country album. I'm sorry you think it is, but, living in the south has taught me many ransoms things and one of those is that Joanne is not country music. End of discussion. 

OT: there are quite a few songs on the album that in fact show her raw emotion. The instrumentation is a lot more simple than her previous albums, as are the lyrics on some songs, but I actually think it benefits that way. As timeless records are, listeners should be able to connect to the record regardless of the era, genre, etc. and I really do think Joanne accomplishes that (at least, for North American listeners for the most part). 

Ummm...well I still think it is cuz that's what I relate it to when I hear the songs...I wouldn't describe it as any other genre...it isn't pop, rock, jazz, dance, etc...

Miel

I don't necessarily agree that it's soulless- rather, that she bared herself in a way much less theatrical than before. Or, rather, in a vein that's just much different.

She put herself, musically and lyrically, in a very broad Americana kind of headspace- much different, and maybe even a little more "typical" and non-metaphorical, than before.

3 points in and ready for more

Edonis
Just now, TimisaMonster said:

Ummm...well I still think it is cuz that's what I relate it to when I hear the songs...I wouldn't describe it as any other genre...it isn't pop, rock, jazz, dance, etc...

There's a sub genre in alternative music called Americana music which was once very popular in the late 60's and early 70's. It utilizes similar instrumentations as country, rock, and other alternative genres in a lighter way so it's not as hard hitting. It also references things unique to American culture lyrically and Joanne fits that. 

TimisaMonster
1 minute ago, Edonis said:

There's a sub genre in alternative music called Americana music which was once very popular in the late 60's and early 70's. It utilizes similar instrumentations as country, rock, and other alternative genres in a lighter way so it's not as hard hitting. It also references things unique to American culture lyrically and Joanne fits that. 

Ok then...so like I said...it sounds like a country album cuz it's influenced by it...in lyrics, instrumentation, and imagery...just look at the cover :duck:

junolxf

giphy.gif

"Seems to be trendy lately to talk sh*t about 'Lady Gaga' when your albums/singles drop." - Leviticus 20:27

Archived