💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

article: Born This Way, a look back at Gaga’s misunderstood masterpiece

VforVendetta

Featured Posts

VforVendetta
14 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

Really good and insightful. What a stellar album.

However I don't think it's her most ambitious. The message of Born This Way is one that is pretty familiar and perhaps borderline clique? The message of self acceptance and love is definitely and archetype in pop music since the beginning to say the least (e.g. Express Yourself even)

I truly think ARTPOP was her most ambitious just based on how conceptual it was and how high her hopes and dreams were for that album. I could read essay after essay about ARTPOP, i find it so fascinating.

BTW is kinda flat for me, definitely less conceptual and more straightforward imo (which doesn't make it worse, just different).

The truth is that ARTPOP was never made to be the artsy album many fans think (and love to drag it). As Gaga herself said ARTPOP was never a serious album, it was her making fun and being playful in the studio with different electronic sounds and themes in pop music. I agree with you that this makes it amazing and very unique (it also makes it misunderstood sadly) but imo it's not bold in the way BTW is simply because it was never built to be cohesive. 

The amazing thing with ARTPOP is that eventhough many fans make fun of the phrase, it has always been true:

Gaga's ARTPOP could mean anything. It's an album about everything and nothing.

MJHolland
39 minutes ago, VforVendetta said:

The truth is that ARTPOP was never made to be the artsy album many fans think (and love to drag it). As Gaga herself said ARTPOP was never a serious album, it was her making fun and being playful in the studio with different electronic sounds and themes in pop music. I agree with you that this makes it amazing and very unique (it also makes it misunderstood sadly) but imo it's not bold in the way BTW is simply because it was never built to be cohesive. 

The amazing thing with ARTPOP is that eventhough many fans make fun of the phrase, it has always been true:

Gaga's ARTPOP could mean anything. It's an album about everything and nothing.

I find a lot of deep meaning in ARTPOP, especially in songs like Aura.

Jeff Koons put his touch on ARTPOP. He would never had done so if it wasn't making a deep statement imo. Theres even so much meaning behind the pieces he made for her, including the iconic ball (iconic in my opinion at least).

I see the album as a music version of modern art. You may not see a lot of meaning and maybe the artist didn't even have a specific meaning when the made it (like throwing paint randomly onto a canvas or throwing random sounds together), but there is still tremendous inherent value and significance.

I really like modern art and I was obsess with Warhol and Koons for a really long time, so ARTPOP clicked with me.

While BTW's message is AWESOME and very powerful and I love it, it's kinda been done before. I don't mean that in a bad or shady way, but how groundbreaking can a concept/message be when Madonna (and every other pop legend) did it 20+ years prior?

I just feel like every artist has a "born this way" album/message. It's very generic and not conceptual or even roundly bold or artistic in my opinion. 

I hope that isn't shady I really really love btw. 

sipthistea

Her best album to date tbh. It showcases Gaga's talents massively. 

I would dare to say is her Magnum Opus. 

Spoiler

Yes, above The Fame Monster 

Spoiler

:reductive:

VforVendetta
27 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

I find a lot of deep meaning in ARTPOP, especially in songs like Aura.

Jeff Koons put his touch on ARTPOP. He would never had done so if it wasn't making a deep statement imo. Theres even so much meaning behind the pieces he made for her, including the iconic ball (iconic in my opinion at least).

I see the album as a music version of modern art. You may not see a lot of meaning and maybe the artist didn't even have a specific meaning when the made it (like throwing paint randomly onto a canvas or throwing random sounds together), but there is still tremendous inherent value and significance.

I really like modern art and I was obsess with Warhol and Koons for a really long time, so ARTPOP clicked with me.

While BTW's message is AWESOME and very powerful and I love it, it's kinda been done before. I don't mean that in a bad or shady way, but how groundbreaking can a concept/message be when Madonna (and every other pop legend) did it 20+ years prior?

I just feel like every artist has a "born this way" album/message. It's very generic and not conceptual or even roundly bold or artistic in my opinion. 

I hope that isn't shady I really really love btw. 

I agree on some of your points and I am a big fan of ARTPOP. I do believe that the tracks of the album have amazing concepts, what I meant is that the album as a whole doesn't have a focused concept, actually the theme of the album is exactly that, being about many different things.

As for BTW, what I find bold is not the theme alone but the way that Gaga is ''approaching'' that theme and the whole sound/style/eccentricness that she decided to give it life. It is crafted as a very special result. BTW is much more than a classic empowerment album.

ARTPOP is indeed much more unique and interesting and bold that many peoplein here claim and I'm glad that you share this opinion cause I do as well...

i don't really know how to describe born this way

it's special in so many different ways

every thing about the era was on point 

idk if gaga will ever top that

i just miss it so much :giveup:

PMKKARDASHiAN

It's taken many years for me to accept BTW and give it proper credit, and while yes, I'll revisit it from time to time and do enjoy the music, I just want someone to educate (not drag) me for a simple question: other than the title track, what about this album sends the message of self love and embracement? Please don't include the interviews and all that, because I'm questioning the music on its own, because IMO, only a few songs even remotely embody this encouragement that so many fans claim the album to provide, so I'd just like an opinion that could enlighten me or open my eyes to something I'm missing. 

VforVendetta
9 hours ago, PMKKARDASHiAN said:

It's taken many years for me to accept BTW and give it proper credit, and while yes, I'll revisit it from time to time and do enjoy the music, I just want someone to educate (not drag) me for a simple question: other than the title track, what about this album sends the message of self love and embracement? Please don't include the interviews and all that, because I'm questioning the music on its own, because IMO, only a few songs even remotely embody this encouragement that so many fans claim the album to provide, so I'd just like an opinion that could enlighten me or open my eyes to something I'm missing. 

Hair is about accepting someone for who he is

Bad Kids is about the people/kids that feel like rejects and that they never did anything right in the eyes of others etc

Marry The Night is about embracing your life and yourself and leaving the past memores of insecurity etc behind

Judas is about embracing your dark side (as well as your light) and get judged for it by society

Highway Unicorn talks about a homosexual (lesbian) couple that the society won't allow them to live their love and so they travel away(they ''ride'' away) to chase their love and dreams in a new place of acceptance.

Scheisse is about woman empowerment and women rights.

BTW is obvious

These songs are the foundation of the theme of the album but BTW is not only about selfempowerment, that's just the main theme of the album. The album talks as well about relegion (Bloody Mary, Judas, Electric Chapel), Governements and people(Government Hooker, Americano) and even more personal matters like (TEOG, The Queen, FOHL, You and I)  that talk about Gaga's experience with death around her, her love for her family, her love with someone etc. HML is the sexual song of the album (though it is a personal song to Gaga as well because it refers to her old bf).

Archived