💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Joanne Diminish Gaga's Artistic Integrity?

boobtank

Featured Posts

boobtank

What do you guys think? I think it's musically one of her strongest records she's recorded. However, instead of feeling like a natural progression, the visuals, looks (most of them) and even some of the music this era seem like a direct reaction and response from the negative backlash she's gotten for her outlandish looks of the past. If Gaga did succumb to the criticism she's received, does that not make her artistic integrity seem questionable? Are artists supposed to adjust and change their work in accordance to the critics, or stick to their guns and continue creating, regardless of outside opinion?

What do ya'll think? (This is not meant to be a negative thread, before anyone tries to come for me :poot:)

lady-gaga-press-shot_wide-96c0ecc6ab77cc

Bradley

I believe we all feel this way because of how Million Reasons was promoted. There's no choreography and she usually appears alone on the stage and just delivers her tremendously amazing vocals. The video seems to fit into that criterion as well.

Perfect Illusion was an uptempo song but then she didn't promote it much. I think she has tons of great stuff in hands waiting to be revealed to us after the halftime show. The tour, subsequent singles, more TV promotion and interviews, and sideprojects, etc.

Helxig

Didn't someone post literally this exact same thread word-for-word a while ago? ...

:green: :confused:

I'll be myself until they fĹŤcking close the coffin.

ViviLittleM
1 minute ago, Helxig said:

Didn't someone post literally this exact same thread word-for-word a while ago? ...

They post this every Day...

gaga didn't change because Of the critics

she changed because she wanted to Show Us a raw and natural side Of her with an Album about her family

Squeeshy Keety

Nope. If you really reflect on what we've gotten so far this era, it was basically a few performances and two music videos. The performances have been amazing imo, and the VSFS is an undisputed slayfest.

The only reason anyone feels this way is because of some of the fashion and the MV's, especially MR. There's just not enough evidence to come to this conclusion considering her past and her passion.

They / Them 🏳️‍🌈

xoxo Craig

Why cant Y'all accept that this is the direction she wanted to go in? It wasnt because of the critics, she just wanted to make an album that was personal and authentic

End Racism Now

boobtank
6 minutes ago, Helxig said:

:green: :confused:

If they did I apologise, I didn't see it :lolly:

I agree that Joanne is one of her best album musically but that it comes at an awkward time.

An album like Joanne would seem like a natural progression after Born This Way. This way, her forced (and quite sudden) "I'm a real girl now" persona seems calculated and fake. 

DeanWinchester

Far from. She always wanted to make something like this and Joanne is a great album.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

I think she always wanted to do a record like this no? Her true debut was supposed to have music similar to this.

HausOfMiklaus
6 minutes ago, Rush said:

An album like Joanne would seem like a natural progression after Born This Way. This way, her forced (and quite sudden) "I'm a real girl now" persona seems forced and fake. 

I kind of see your point, but only if we consider ARTPOP as the preceding era. But it isn't. She had a major revamp of her creative team and she also did Cheek To Cheek in between. I kind of credit that as a natural progression into more subdued, singer-songwriter music that we're hearing now; her time with Tony really affected her a lot.

As for the visuals and her new 'persona', only time will tell. I believe we haven't seen the bulk of the artistic output from this album yet.

Maybe... she said in an interview that she didn't want to show up in the studio wearing eccentric outfits because it would've been distracting for Mark and the guys, or something along those lines.

And she has said the public was only focused on the the outfits and visuals and she wanted the music to be at the front this era. So yeah, she's avoiding doing "attention seeking" acts for the sake of the music.

Edit: These were her words:

All the outfits, fashion and art pieces over the years made sense to me. They didn’t make sense to other people..." She pauses, laughs, continues. “But I always got it. It was an expression, not a hiding." This time, my style just stayed naturally at how I’ve been in the studio. I started vehemently saying, ‘Get these clothes out! I’m not wearing this! I’m not wearing heels!’ And some of that, too, is because I’ve been in the studio with boys. You can’t make music with a bunch of boys who are staring at a lobster on your head. They are going to get distracted". -From the Sunday Times interview.

Just now, Miklaus Nite said:

I kind of see your point, but only if we consider ARTPOP as the preceding era. But it isn't. She had a major revamp of her creative team and she also did Cheek To Cheek in between. I kind of credit that as a natural progression into more subdued, singer-songwriter music that we're hearing now; her time with Tony really affected her a lot.

As for the visuals and her new 'persona', only time will tell. I believe we haven't seen the bulk of the artistic output from this album yet.

But the thing is, Cheek To Cheek wasn't a natural progression because just months before her "booty shorts and t-shirt era" she was serving DIVA. 

Her entire Cheek To Cheek, AHS and Oscars look was untouchable platinum diva in expensive gowns and classic styling. Then all of a sudden she's a greasy rock chick? I know "reinvention" is a part of every pop girls career but this one just came too suddenly and too soon. I feel like the music would feel much more "real" if she stuck to her guns visually. This way it gave off a feeling like she's posing as a rocker chick and it seemed way too try hard, a la Avril Lavigne. 

1 minute ago, Cerny said:

Maybe... she said in an interview that she didn't want to show up in the studio wearing eccentric outfits because it would've been distracting for Mark and the guys, or something along those lines.

This is so un-Gaga tho. She used to be so unafraid to show who she is. 

1 minute ago, Rush said:

This is so un-Gaga tho. She used to be so unafraid to show who she is. 

Yeah, she used to have that "i don't give a f*ck" attitude, i loved that about her.

Archived