• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monster Voices

whispers *it's not just you* runs away

Seriously tho it is a bit boring but boy is it better than Hotel :laughga:

Forever and Always!

23 hours ago, T E Anne said:

i'm watching it because of the actors, tbh. the only thing i sort of like, at this point, is the character development aspect; however, the doc style, the narrative, and the scary factor are not enough for me. hopefully, all those will improve in the future. i'm rooting for its meta quality. it has the potential to really fück things up.

They have so much narrative potential with the whole meta element of this part of the season. They better not waste it.

Knowing how it usually goes, though...

3 points in and ready for more

For me, I feel like I've seen it all before, therefore it feels a bit too cliche for me. I feel like this seems to fall into those stereotypical haunted house movies too much - the irrational "Yes, we're stubbornly staying in this house despite our lives feeling endangered/everything that tells us to GTFO" is just so tiring. It's like they feel they have to dumb down their other-wise sensible characters to allow for this scenario. It is a stale trope at this point. This is why I preferred Insidious to The Conjuring because at least the former has a horror you can't run away from and an interesting theme of lucid dreaming that I hadn't seen explored much in movies before, whereas The Conjuring didn't deviate from the basic haunted house movie full of jump scares.

crisTEAne
50 minutes ago, Miel said:

They have so much narrative potential with the whole meta element of this part of the season. They better not waste it.

Knowing how it usually goes, though...

they better not. let's pray.

lz4oOKS.gif

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

I kind of agree, it is boring so far. It would be better if they focused more on the Roanoke tribe, but so far it just seems to be a carbon copy of season 1. It just feels like, why am I watching this again?? There's nothing new here whatsoever. The documentary vibe also kills the suspense, so it's hard to get emotionally invested in the characters or fear for their survival.

I'll sit it out, but I'm praying they change it up soon. I want more about Roanoke, not just ghost girls and scary nurses.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canĘąt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

37 minutes ago, freebit said:

For me, I feel like I've seen it all before, therefore it feels a bit too cliche for me. I feel like this seems to fall into those stereotypical haunted house movies too much - the irrational "Yes, we're stubbornly staying in this house despite our lives feeling endangered/everything that tells us to GTFO" is just so tiring. It's like they feel they have to dumb down their other-wise sensible characters to allow for this scenario. It is a stale trope at this point. This is why I preferred Insidious to The Conjuring because at least the former has a horror you can't run away from and an interesting theme of lucid dreaming that I hadn't seen explored much in movies before, whereas The Conjuring didn't deviate from the basic haunted house movie full of jump scares.

I loved Insidious for those reasons too. However I think The Conjuring was very successful as a horror movie, despite being more cliched. 

I don't mind haunted house movies where the characters are forced to stay because they can't sell the house, which is a rational situation. But in s6, it just makes zero sense why the characters would stay just because "they won't be scared out of their own house". It made even less sense when Sandy wanted to leave in the first episode, but then inexplicably changed her mind in the second episode. Not only that, but the husband's sister brought her daughter to the house TWICE, and left her alone TWICE, despite knowing there was some weird sh!t going on there. 

So you're completely right, they're just being dumbed down to suit the story, which is poor writing. I hope there's some twist where the documentary is revealed to be fake or something, because Ryan Murphy is so much better than this.

On 9/24/2016 at 1:53 PM, Slayer said:

I loved Insidious for those reasons too. However I think The Conjuring was very successful as a horror movie, despite being more cliched. 

I don't mind haunted house movies where the characters are forced to stay because they can't sell the house, which is a rational situation. But in s6, it just makes zero sense why the characters would stay just because "they won't be scared out of their own house". It made even less sense when Sandy wanted to leave in the first episode, but then inexplicably changed her mind in the second episode. Not only that, but the husband's sister brought her daughter to the house TWICE, and left her alone TWICE, despite knowing there was some weird sh!t going on there. 

So you're completely right, they're just being dumbed down to suit the story, which is poor writing. I hope there's some twist where the documentary is revealed to be fake or something, because Ryan Murphy is so much better than this.

That was so frustrating. :toofunny:

I feel like Ryan often just does things for his own whimsy, which results in out-of-the-blue decisions that make no sense from the characterization that has been previously established. I know he's not the only writer, but it's clear he's steering the ship - hence Finn Wittrock saying Ryan told him to start making eye contact while filming with Denis because Ryan had suddenly decided those characters were in a relationship. I feel like he did this hasty, random sort of writing with no buildup with Nip/Tuck too at times, it usually resulted in wild, random plotlines nobody asked for and kind of ruined the show. 

while i agree this is shaping up to be the best in a long long time for the show... REMEMBER HOW ALL RYAN MURPHY SHOWS GO DOWN. VERY PROMISING PREMISES. the rest is history :( 

I've been watching all the AHS seasons with my bf (who is watching for the first time) and he usually takes everything at face value and doesn't have strong opinions about TV shows and movies, but even he can't get into this season and hates the documentary aspect. We both feel a bit detached from the season. 

Oh well, at least it's better than Coven. :toofunny:

Archived