Does a Billboard #1 have any value?

JerellM

Featured Posts

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caesium
10 minutes ago, JerellM said:

It seems as though we have a new #1 every week. And the songs on the charts are complete garbage.

One dance- never heard of it 

Then how can you say it's garbage?

giphy.gif

-----------

Yes, there is a lot of crap on the charts and some of the best songs released don't perform well on it, but there's also a lot of good/fun music on the chart. Stop taking it so seriously. 

Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me

littlepotter

Awful songs being #1 is not equal to the spot not having any value. Record labels need to know if they should invest in promoting an artist, and how could they do that if they don't know whether the public is responding or not? If Gaga wasn't successful on the charts most of us would have never heard about her.

chaeri pls

kvnrp
3 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

rihanna could fart into a mic and it would go number one with a music video of her titties smoking weed

You spelled Work wrong.

Dark Anatomy

@JerellM

Let me tell you how this works. Monsters (not saying you personally, but most) will definitely discredit the relevancy of having a #1 BILLBOARD HOT 100 single, THAT IS....unless Gaga gets one with LG5. The minute Gaga has her next number one the Little Hypocrites will start rubbing it in everyone's faces on ATRL, PawsDown, FOTP, and of course... Twitter. 

Personally I believe having a number one on the Billboard Hot 100 DOES HAVE VALUE...if it surpasses 4 weeks. If it's just a song that averages a week and fizzles out then it was just a fad, but if a number one single has longevity I think that's a great accomplishment. Just because it doesn't suit everyone's personal taste doesn't mean it's not worthy.

I happen to like Work, if people want qualitative artsy, indie music then looking on the Hot 100 isn't for you. Hot 100 are basically the popular kids in High School, everyone loves to hate them but there everyone's guilty pleasure. Occasionally the nerd freak kid, rises up and takes a spot but the popular kids beat em out after a while.  

CyanLights

I've been thinking about this since 2014, but when Work went number 1, it automatically confirmed by thought and invalidated Billboards reputation. A number one on that chart doesn't mean  anything anymore, sadly. 

Bio

If anything the rules now are more fair than they were before. Nowadays number ones come from the public itself, streamings. Before the radio had a lot more saying in what went to #1 or not and we all know that payola exists so it wasn't really fair. The only way to know which song is more popular is by streaming and downloads.

PaperIz

I mean it's meaningful in the way that people like the songs enough to listen but streaming definitely diminished some of the value

Mister Gaga

Billboard needs to change it's formula ASAP, because it's getting quite annoying, even for them. The actual formula is a MESS :excuseu:

Manul

Feel free to thank streaming, something can sell 405 copies in the opening week and still top the charts for some reason.

it wasn't laaaahv

Higher

I don't understand why it even matters to you.

tumblr_njtmxoe4yZ1rho9uyo1_400.gif

Finally feeling free for the night, I got no worries. Finally got a claim on my life, baby, c'est la vie. ☄️

Archived