💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Most critically overrated vs. most critically underrated

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

Joaco95
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I don't know about you, but I'd be so embarrassed if I'd got someone so wrong and made false accusations about them.

the irony

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LePetitGAGABLover

I think everyone is alright with the success they have EXCEPT ****ING ADELE.

Like, 25 was exactly like 21, and 21 was similar to 19. Her music is repetitive and yet she's so successful. I don't get it. I'm I missing something??!?!?!

AJH219
On 5/18/2016 at 6:19 PM, ZacharyMark said:

And a whole bunch of country artists. The majority of a country album is the most blandest time of your life and yet, country critics give out A reviews like nobodie's business.

Which country artists do you listen to?

Country music hasn't been that great since the mid-2000s, I think. Its around this time that I remember slowly growing tired of it and eventually turning to pop. Oldies country through the early 2000s is 100% though

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

DeleteMyAccount
53 minutes ago, AJH219 said:

Country music hasn't been that great since the mid-2000s, I think. Its around this time that I remember slowly growing tired of it and eventually turning to pop. Oldies country through the early 2000s is 100% though

It depends on who you listen to.

Miel

@OP Don't necessarily agree on Kendrick, Bey, or Bjork, but I don't necessarily disagree with everything else. I mean, give or take here and there, but I don't supremely disagree.

Though, I'd throw in Florence+The Machine as underrated, in terms of NA audiences. Well, I guess less underrated, and more just criminally underplayed?

3 points in and ready for more

dubstep111

Definition of overrated is drake.

definition of underrated is azealia banks

Most critically overrated: Beyonce - Lemonade, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones

Most critically underrated: I don't know, it's not like I look up all my favorite albums' critic reviews :diane: 

Pharamon

Underrated Lana del rey? Ok i stopped reading...I'm out of this thread

Raikov

@StrawberryBlond The Beatles' "comedic" songs are their least important... I have literally never heard anyone talk about comedy being important to the Beatles' legacy. Maybe John Lennon's sarcasm or wit, but "laughter" is certainly not something I've heard any critic invoke when reviewing the Beatles. (tl;dr ahead)

It's also worth mentioning, since a bunch of people have listed the Beatles as "overrated," that part of the reason for their placement on this pop music pedestal... The Beatles were incredibly influential in turning pop music into what it is today. They weren't really "the first" to do much of anything, except maybe the sitar thing, but their talent lied in taking the innovations that were going on around them and seamlessly incorporating them into pop music. Nowadays we have a (rather unrealistic) expectation that all musicians write their own music. The Beatles stood out partially because they wrote their own music instead of relying on songwriters. The Beatles are part of the reason anyone even cares whether musicians write their own songs.

Popular music in the 50s and before was not taken seriously at all as an art form. Songs were very short, 1 to 2 minutes, and albums were mostly filler with the singles being the only real reason to buy them. Lyrics were limited to a pretty narrow range of topics, rarely thought-provoking. Critics dislike pop music nowadays, but rock was equally hated (if not more so for being "morally degrading") in its day. It's thanks to acts such as the Beatles that people are even willing to consider popular music as a vehicle for serious artistic pursuit as opposed to disposable, forgettable tunes.

Have the Beatles been overrated? Hell yes. And I say this as a fan. The Beatles weren't the only reason pop music began to change in the 60s. They themselves were influenced by many other contemporary acts, and those acts influenced others. They were, however, the ones with the most commercial success, and the fact that their songs continue to be covered today (Yesterday is the song with the most cover versions iirc) shows that there is something worthwhile and timeless about their music that transcends the crappy conditions under which it was recorded. I say the quality of their recordings prior to the White Album makes them near unlistenable to modern audiences accustomed to very clear recordings and immaculate timing, not to mention that the recording techniques they used are simply dated.

But a good song is a good song, regardless of whether it was recorded in the 1890s or 1990s. I do find it disappointing that so many people aren't willing to look past the dated recordings to look at the music, or the lyrics. Paul McCartney was a hugely influential bass player in pop music. Lennon's lyricism is pretty well-regarded. They tried to push the envelope by using unusual chord progressions in their music as well as instruments people thought didn't belong in a rock record. They treated the album seriously, not as something that just carried the singles fluffed up by fillers. They experimented with the recording studio itself. And even if they didn't innovate everything, they were and still are incredibly influential to countless musicians.

Once again, I agree that the Beatles are overrated. But there is a reason for their overratedness. A huge part of it is their influence. Another huge part of it is their unprecedented commercial success. But at the core of it... they wrote damn good songs. The fact that they continue to be covered and sung and passed along, 40 years after their breakup, shows that they really resonate with people. Any great act is liable to get overrated - perhaps in the future, we might get articles from pop historians about how Lady Gaga "single-handedly" changed pop music. But even if critics started praising her to high heaven, it wouldn't change the fact that she was influential, and an excellent songwriter.

Fiona Apple
On 15/5/2016 at 11:40 PM, Rivington Rebel said:

You can't get anymore underrated than Melanie Martinez.

Melanie's album is critically acclaimed af

Jay.P

I think Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess is an underrated album, even by herself :laughga:

Do you hear that? It's poison.

StrawberryBlond
18 hours ago, ZacharyMark said:

I can see that with all genres of music though. There's a wide range of country acts so I'm interested to hear which artists' albums you've listened to. And I disagree with the critics. Country music makes it seem like they all love each other, but they don't. There's a lot of corruption and money involved. Country fan here.

Well, I don't listen to many of the male artists. I think the ones of the old days of country were fine but the ones today are dire. The only ones that I give the time of day to are women and only a select few at that. I've listened to stuff by Miranda Lambert, Maddie+Tae, Kacey Musgraves and Carrie Underwood (and Taylor Swift, back when she was country). M+T, Kacey and Carrie all released a decent album last year but when they're off, they're just as bland as every other country artist. Empty songs about nothingness, no kick, no passion, not worthwhile subjects for a song. I don't know how they make the final cut of a record. From what I've seen, their albums get mindlessly praised by every country critic. Miranda and Carrie especially have been loved since the beginning by critics.

15 hours ago, Joaco95 said:

the irony

That's your catchphrase, isn't it? I really don't think I've got you wrong. You've always been unaccepting of me and I've never been nasty to you to warrant that. Nothing much to get wrong here.

15 hours ago, LePetitMonstr said:

I think everyone is alright with the success they have EXCEPT ****ING ADELE.

Like, 25 was exactly like 21, and 21 was similar to 19. Her music is repetitive and yet she's so successful. I don't get it. I'm I missing something??!?!?!

People like artists who are safe and don't change, it's that simple. Adele has basic formulas that people eat up because they're relatable. It's boring and predictable, but it sells. Critics were more mixed towards 25 but ultimately, they're not putting pressure on her to develop. With success like hers, she doesn't feel she needs to. This is what leads artists to be entitled and not try. That's partly why I say we need to take a tougher line and demand better. We won't get it if we don't ask.

4 hours ago, Raikov said:

Once again, I agree that the Beatles are overrated. But there is a reason for their overratedness. A huge part of it is their influence. Another huge part of it is their unprecedented commercial success. But at the core of it... they wrote damn good songs. The fact that they continue to be covered and sung and passed along, 40 years after their breakup, shows that they really resonate with people. Any great act is liable to get overrated - perhaps in the future, we might get articles from pop historians about how Lady Gaga "single-handedly" changed pop music. But even if critics started praising her to high heaven, it wouldn't change the fact that she was influential, and an excellent songwriter.

That's a very good point. I do realise that what they did for music led to their over-ratedness. And yes, I do hope the same thing will happen to Gaga in future as right now, she's still struggling to get credit for how she changed things. But ultimately, this isn't about why certain acts get praise, it's the idea that we don't think they deserve this praise in the first place. Talent doesn't mean much if you're not making good music with your talent. It's like: "So, you write your own songs, play your own instruments and are involved in everything to do with your career...but do you make good music with all that talent?" I unfortunately find that the answer can be no in many cases.

Archived