Spoiler

ChfiSBeWYAE3PXD.jpg

5. Katy Perry

Spoiler

ChfhpX_WYAE2F-2.jpg

6. Rita Ora

Spoiler

ChfLAgAWwAA3qjU.jpg

The only prisons that exist are ones we put each other in..

NintendoMONSTER

Beyoncé... But I don't think her dress fits the topic...

Fernster7

I can't believe I'm saying this but Rita Ora looks beautiful in my opinion, better than most on that list. Beyoncé's dress is awful.

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

PERFECTIONIST

i'm going with this

keith-urban-nicole-kidman.jpg

my hobbies include lying about PI leaking and getting everyone shook on GGD

MaryJaneHolland

Gaga and Madonna (obviously), even though Madge's costume was more historic than futuristic.:diane:

littlepotter

For me it's Claire Danes

Claire-Danes-dress-for-Met-Gala-2016.jpg

This is hands down one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen.

From that list I kinda like everyone except Madonna's (oh dear jesus), Rita looked stunning, I actually liked Zayn's, Katy's I hated at first but it grew on me and I dig it now. Bey looked like my face in 8th grade. Gags slayed me the most tho and gets my vote :poot:

chaeri pls

jojuun

My pick? Hands down Madonna. Regardless if you like it or not, it grabbed headlines at that is basically what this event is all about. You could turn up and snatch the headlines because you have on a dress that is SO spectacularly beautiful, everyone will talk about it (like Rihanna did last year). Or because you're showing skin or you just put on a very avant-garde outfit. And Madonna always switches it up every time she goes. She was very talked about with her ridiculous looking Louis Vuitton bunny ears in 2009, looked like a classic Hollywood goddess in 2011 in Stella McCartney and in 2013 she wore that raunchy punk Givenchy outfit. Last year was a safe, beautiful Moschino look and this year it's back to controversial fashion. That's Madonna. She's always done it and will always do it. I admire that she gives no f*cks and turned up with her ass, legs and titties out on display. At nearly 60? That takes balls and I admire her for that. 

Queen.

Now Gaga on the other hand. I can't with her and not in a positive way. It looked safe. Either turn up with 5 computer chips glued to your nips and wear nothing else and snatch every headline in the world or take the theme like we all expected you too. She wore The Living Dress for a Jonathan Ross appearance but goes to the MET (aka the Oscars of Fashion) in a metallic bodice? That bodysuit looked like it could come from the ARTrave tour outfit-rack. It's cool, but it is not on MET-level for Lady f*cking Gaga. She should've gone with Chalayan or the Haus instead of this. I mean, I'm disappointed Donatella didn't stop Gaga from going with a bodice. The theme was "Manus x Machina: Fashion in The Age of Technology" and she turns op in a bodice? "It's lasercut". Well, it's not visible is it? She should've worn the bloody laser instead. I'm disappointed in her for wearing what she did. At least the heels were fierce. But still, for someone who wore a dress that was "alive" and wore a dress that blows bubbles just out and about, it's very, very disappointing at a fashion meets technology event.

StrawberryBlond

There was a real lack of good ones this year, so I can't even stretch it to a top ten, but I'll try my best anyway. Remember that the theme is futuristic/technology, so my picks are not just based on how good the outfit is but also how well it compliments the theme (and a lot missed the memo this year!). If it doesn't do both, it's not getting on the list.

From least best to absolute best...

8. Jourdan Dunn

33C389AA00000578-3570186-image-m-26_1462

On an ordinary day, no, but here, it worked because she worked the theme. I love how it shimmers at the bottom and moves with her body and she even had the dedication to dye her hair to match it all.

7. Brie Larson

33C267C600000578-3571485-image-a-14_1462

Not the most futuristic but it gains extra points for being so elegant, well tailored and being the kind of dress that you could wear outside the gala if you wanted.

6. Nicole Kidman

33C28AB800000578-3570186-image-m-434_146

A lot of people weren't too fussed with this dress, but I love it, minus those moons or whatever they are at the bottom (pretty on the cover up, not so on the dress). She looks like an empress of a fairytale civilisation.

5. Lupita N'yongo

33C2603A00000578-3570186-image-m-139_146

Unusual but awesome. Dress isn't the most futuristic, but the hair takes tradition and makes it ironically modern. Major points for sheer courage to do something so out of the box.

4. FKA Twigs

33C2B18C00000578-3570313-FKA_Twigs_real_

Futuristic in a more subtle way. The back is gorgeous too. The only downside is that the facial jewellery made her already upturned nose look rather strange, but it only adds to the whole beautifully weird aesthetic of the whole thing.

3. Katy Perry

33C6FD9900000578-3570313-image-a-120_146

I don't know why this ended up on so many worst dressed lists. The only thing I don't like is the blunt fringe (bangs for Americans). Everything else is on point. She looks like an evil queen from a video game set in another dimension.

2. Clare Danes

33C2B09400000578-3570186-image-a-863_146

The only reason why this wasn't #1 was because in normal light, it was just an ordinary ballgown and it was only in the dark that it came to life, which is when it truly embraced the theme. She went more Gaga than Gaga with this fibre optic thing! This is actually what I expected Gaga to wear, in all actuality. But yeah, if only the technology was visible in daylight, it would have been the top.

And the best dressed is....

1. Lady Gaga

33C2471600000578-3570313-image-a-44_1462

In the words of Beyonce: "6 inch heels, she walked in the club like nobody's business, goddamn, she murdered everybody and I was her witness." One of the few who truly embraced the futuristic theme and she looked awesome for it. It takes a while to realise that her jacket looks like motherboards from a computer. She truly does look like something from the future and, like Wendy Williams said, in one of her occasional truth-telling moments, this look is so Gaga that only she could pull it off. If anyone else wore it, we'd be like, did she fall on her head? Gaga has her style and she owns it and the entire night with this wondrous creation.

Here's my worst of list too - make sure everyone visits that thread too!

androiduser

what surprises me the most is that so many people here don't realize that the theme wasn't futuristic fashion, or outfits that interpret technology in the most obvious way (like Gaga's look). The theme was about technology in fashion, and it could be any special technology to produce an outfit.... like an "ordinary" looking dress that was made with a new technology like laser cutting etc, or quite the opposite - use of old traditional  technologies like embroidery.

Sure, some people didn't check any of the points, but the theme wasn't about futuristic looks or robotic outfits.

Bear

Out of that list I liked Gaga the most, and that's not just me being a blind follower, I think she really nailed the theme. The combination of the manufacturing technique using laser cutting of real leather, combined with the hand crafted element of Versace manufacturing highlighted the difference that the theme was intended to represent. Plus, it looked futuristic too for good measure.

Katy was good too, the dress and make-up I liked but I'd swap the hair out for something else, it didn't match the image IMO.

I liked Emma Watson's dress too, I can't believe it was made of plastic bottles :giveup:

Archived