💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

MTV: ‘See You Again’ And The Glaring Irrelevance Of The Oscars

Stef

Featured Posts

Back in March, Vin Diesel predicted that “Furious 7” would “probably win best picture at the Oscars, unless the Oscars don’t want to be relevant ever.” At the time, the press laughed it off. How could the biggest popcorn movie of the year win an Oscar? But “Furious 7″ wasn’t just your average nitrous oxide-fueled action film; it was something more. “Furious 7″ transcended its genre, hitting us right in the gut with kinetic thrills and raw emotion — thanks, in part, to Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth’s “See You Again.”

The poignancy of “See You Again” had a lot to do with its emotional impact on-screen. When you heard that subdued piano intro start to play, you knew what was about to come. Your stomach began to turn, and your eyes got misty. You felt that distinct discomfort and sadness start to wash over you, aided by Puth’s soft tenor. It was time to say goodbye to Paul Walker’s Brian O’Connor.

The powerful ending montage of the film didn’t take advantage of Walker’s untimely death. Rather, it earnestly paid tribute not just to the beloved actor and the character, but to the series as a whole. It was an incredibly moving moment, made even more compelling by Khalifa and Puth’s pervasive lyrics.

“We’ve come a long way from where we began / Oh, I’ll tell you all about it when I see you again.”

Upon its release, “See You Again” mirrored the box office success of the film. The rap-and-piano ballad was the No. 1 song on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart for 12 non-consecutive weeks, tying Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” for the longest-running rap No. 1 hit in the country. It also peaked at No. 1 in more than a dozen countries worldwide.

The music video was viewed over 1 billion times on YouTube, shattering records. You couldn’t go anywhere without hearing Puth’s falsetto. It played in every cab and every bodega — it was ubiquitous. However, “See You Again” was more than a catchy hook and a dope beat; it became a souvenir of the movie’s poignant farewell to Walker.

Throughout awards season, “See You Again” looked poised to earn that coveted Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song. Given its radio play alone, it was the clear frontrunner, and Universal even launched a global “For Your Consideration” campaign to help its chances. After it was recognized by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association at the 2016 Golden Globes, “See You Again” looked like a shoo-in for the Oscar nomination, even despite losing the Globe to Sam Smith’s Bond theme “Writing’s On The Wall.”

However, today (Jan. 14), Oscar voters put the kibosh on the reign of “See You Again” when theydidn’t award the track a nomination in the Best Original Song category. And it’s a damn shame.

“See You Again” transcended its medium. It transcended that film. It deserved to be recognized for its impact around the world — and for its impact on us.

More here: http://www.mtv.com/news/2728821/see-you-again-oscars-snub/?xrs=_s.tw_news

Thoughts?? :green:

Signature loading… 👹🖤

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GloZell Green

Aw poor things saying that a song was good because it got lots of YouTube views and was bought (because it was played every hour on the radio). Look who gives one less **** while they whine about this :toofunny:

EDIT: And also what's with MTV calling the Oscars irrelevant? Last time I checked they're constant attempts at controversy failed harder than their views.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

DeleteMyAccount

The only thing that makes me think it wasn't nominated was because the song had hardly anything to do with the film. It's more of a tribute to Walker. However, I was still surprised that it didn't get a nomination.

SISTERV

It did deserve a nomination honestly. But I don't think it deserved a win. The song became overplayed. From the get go, the song felt a bit tryish. I could have taken it far more serious with Frank Ocean or Kendrick Lamar. 

KURUSHITOVSKA

Who would you give an Oscar? 

wiz-khalifa-smoking.jpg

beautiful-lady-gaga-pretty-Favim.com-302

No need to say anymore.

EDIT: it's not that I'm talking about how they look, I don't care. It's just I don't see Wiz talking about sexual harassment while most of his songs talk about **** that girl and smoke that drug etc. Gaga's song is mature, raw and it makes sense with the movie itself. Gaga can give a better example of talent and beliefs than Wiz.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

Gov Hooka

Nah it just sounds like a basic pop song with boring verses and the movie is another Hollywood cash grabbing sequel part of a franchise built around guys "driving hot rods and scoring with the chicks." Buh bye.

Haroon

I'm not fan of the trend of calling something irrelevant as soon as things don't go the way you want them to :ohno: One category doesn't define a whole show as irrelevant, and if you're going to be making bold statements like that then back it up with more examples to really open people's eyes :huh: 

It's surprising to me that MTV are saying this because the exact same is said about them very often when the VMA and EMA nominees are announced. You'd kinda expect they wouldn't do the same to another awards show :duck:

Warholian

Honestly they should give Star Wars best picture. That movie was da best man. Made a billion dollars. Had men dressing up in dresses. Academy is wack for not nominating it. :saladga:

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

Mobster
1 minute ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

Who would you give an Oscar? 

wiz-khalifa-smoking.jpg

beautiful-lady-gaga-pretty-Favim.com-302

No need to say anymore.

Not that I think the song deserves any sort of award, but I don't think that's the right argument... (Also kind of ironic, considering Gaga smokes/used to smoke pot herself)

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

darkchylde

“See You Again” transcended its medium.

So did ARTPOP. You all should understand that award shows are not the epitome of talent and most of the time they fail in their attempts at rewarding outstanding art.

Now, stop complaining and be quiet. All this noise about that shitty movie is giving me a headache.

Considering that it was battling against TIHTY for the critics choice to win the Oscar, I was pretty surprised too when it wasn't nominated. After they announced TIHTY, I was fully it to be the next song they said. I guess it shows that commercial success doesn't solidify an Oscar nom. 

KURUSHITOVSKA
1 minute ago, Mobster said:

Not that I think the song deserves any sort of award, but I don't think that's the right argument... (Also kind of ironic, considering Gaga smokes/used to smoke pot herself)

I know! But i just think that Gaga can give a better example of talent and beliefs than Wiz.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

Archived