💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Utada a lost opportunity?

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Serendipity

220px-Exodus_JP%2BUSA.jpg

Utada had released three Japanese-language studio albums; First Love, Distance and Deep River. All three studio albums achieved massive success inside of Japan, all listed as one of the biggest selling albums in Japan with the debut release being the most successful Japanese album of all time, selling seven million units in Japan and an additional three million worldwide. Several singles from each album sold over one million units and tallied up to seven of her singles having sold over one million units, with her debut single "Automatic/Time will tell" selling over two million.

In 2001, Utada was approached by American label Island Def Jam to record a track entitled "Blow My Whistle" with American rapper Foxy Brown on the American filmRush Hour 2. The track was written by Utada herself, alongside Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo. The song is included on Def Jam's Rush Hour 2 soundtrack, which peaked the 11th spot on both the Billboard 200 and the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and also the 1st on the Top Soundtracks. Although Hikaru usually produces her own songs, Blow My Whistle was produced by The Neptunes.

Then, in 2003, Island CEO Lyor Cohen was interested in signing Utada to his label and she eventually accepted his recommendation and signed her first deal in 2004. Utada had flown to Los Angeles, California to meet Cohen and Universal Music Group CEO Doug Morris with her mother Keiko Fuji and father Teruzane Utadato support her there.Her record label Toshiba-EMI had also released her material worldwide like Island, but Cohen commented that Island would support her choices throughout the American audience.According to Steve McClure from Billboard, Utada and her father were originally approached by EMI Music and Virgin Records beforehand and were also interested in signing Utada to their label. "People at [Virgin] were kissing up her dad and promising him that they were definitely going to launch her as an international star." However, he later commented "But with the complete meltdown [...] Everybody Utada had knew had gone."

FUN FACT:

They wanted her to work with Timbaland, but she refused their decision as she did not want to change her artistic vision.

In the end they did not promote her well, and the funds ended up giving promotion to Mariah's comeback era-The Emancipation of Mimi

In 2008, she tried again with another RnB/Pop album, but the Gaga dance wave had taken over

So the question is

"Could she have crossed over?"

"Could she have been a breakthrough for Asian artists?"

"Could she have broken that barrier that prevents Asian acts from breaking into the WW market?"

"The first Asian female popstar to take over the world?"

NOTE:

1.Her debut album is best selling Japanese album of all times [ 8 Million in Japan + 3 Million more WW]

2.She's the only singer or group in Japanese music history to have three consecutive albums surpass the three million mark

3.She has the #1, #4 and #8 best selling albums in Japan

4.She also broke Mariah's record for best selling English album in Japan

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Riot Poof

Damn, they did her dirty. :/

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived