Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga Causing "AHS: Hotel" To Lose Ratings?

Johan

Featured Posts

Ever since Lady Gaga's Twitter announcement back in February 2015 of the 5th season for the scary show American Horror Story called 'Hotel' and her main role in it, fans of both Gaga and the show have been anxiously awaiting to see Gaga's acting skills revealed to the world on primetime television. Fans were quick to spread the news all over social media and even making it a worldwide trend on Twitter. 8 long-awaited months later, on Wednesday, October 7th, the first episode of AHS, "Checking In", was aired on FX. It was then when the earth blew up... okay... not really, but the entertinment world went nuts. According to some opinions of fans on Twitter, the 29 year old grammy-winning, multi-platinum selling pop star's role on the show was what made this season of AHS bring FX's 2nd-highest ratings ever, drawing in about 6 million live viewers + another 6 million streamed viewers within a 4-day period. From Wednesday the 7th to Sunday the 11th, over 12 million people had viewed Episode 1 of American Horror Story: Hotel. With those numbers, how could Gaga not be credited? However, on Wednesday, October 14th, the second episode of 'Hotel', "Chutes and Ladders" was aired, which only pulled in a total of 4 million live viewers, almost 2 million viewers less than the first episode. The following third episode, called "Mommy", drew around 3.2 million live viewers, about 800 thousand less than episode 2! From episode 1-3, the total live-ratings were almost split in half! When the statistics first went public, some fans immediately blamed Gaga's supposedly "horrible acting" as the cause, but others blamed the boring scenes of the episodes, praising Gaga as the savior of the season. Why is it that people seem to be "checking out" of viewing 'Hotel' while this season is only "checking in", with 10 episodes remaining? Leave your thoughts in the comments below; is Gaga the reason of the rating decrease or is it the show's boring theme?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WhoAskedOpinions

The show's boring theme for sure.

The only reason I am watching is for her, and now I will be watching future seasons. If anything she raised ratings from what they would've been, at least for me and people I know.

@WhoAskedOpinions - Rates, reviews, and rankings of music and TV shows

PrinceGaga

I honestly think it's the series as a whole rather than Gaga's acting. Her acting seems to be praised by many. 

I'm sure it's had some impact on the ratings. People would naturally be trying to fault her as she's not firstly known as an actress. It's sad, but it's true.

I personally think she's doing great and her presence on this series would be hugely missed.

PartySick

No :hunty: she's praised left and right as a great actress by not only her costars, but Ryan himself and many critics.

There's just not a GP interest in the middle of a "boring" season, I guess. I'm certainly hooked. I'd be watching even if Gaga wasn't in it tbh.

💚

JusKeepBreathin

yeah, she caused Freak Show's loss of ratings too. 

What a F**king stupid thread. Someone obviously opened a second account. Newbie.:koons:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

JusKeepBreathin

Where is @Kayla when you need her?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

TimisaMonster

Absolutely NOT! 

Gaga can't be blames for an ENTIRE season flopping...if anything...she's one of the GREATEST reasons to watch...

If anyone is to blame...it's Ryan. He wrote, directed, and conceptualized the season and how it was executed...he played a more major role in developing and Gaga is just a vessel...an actress taking the advice of her director... Same goes for all the others on set

You tried it :later:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

FATCAT

All of my friends are big AHS fans, and don't like Gaga's music. They all think Gaga is a highlight. No.

Purr more, hiss less.

Its not Gaga, Its the writing. As a long time American Horror Story fan this season is a little off. Gaga has nothing to do with it. Blame Ryan Murphy

Mister Gaga

The show itself is getting hate. Gaga was actually praised...there's a feeling that this season is kinda boring when, IMO is the best season since Asylum (which had in fact the show's lowest ratings). No boring episodes (FS), no weak plotlines (Coven). 

I really don't know what's missing. I tend to think that Jessica is the main reason, but certainly not Gaga. But, if you look to Freak Show's ratings, the first episode had 6.13M viewers and the last one barely reached 3M...

I think that many people are just growing tired of this series in general, it happens to every show as the series goes on over few years and loses it's initial spark. Freak Show started out well and soured, Gaga wasn't even thought of as being on the show then. I never hear people talking about this show and the last time that I did without actually looking for how people are feeling it, was back during Coven.

It has maybe almost run it's course with the fickle viewing audience. Maybe one more season, I am just guessing.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

djBuffoon

I'm getting Asylum teas from the overall reaction tbh. A lot of curiosity, a lot of frustration, roughly half of the viewers are fascinated with how the season is paced and what's happening (count me among them), while others seem to be bored. 

I think this is easily the most intriguing season so far since S2. Nothing has been explained yet, but the characters are interesting despite being morally questionable, the plot is 100% unpredictable so far, and the mood is spooky as hell.

To answer your question: the plot is unfolding at an (intentionally) deliberate pace, and that doesn't work for everyone.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived