Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can Lady Gaga manage to be the next "Lady Gaga"?

Voltaire

Featured Posts

Voltaire

Good, bad, or otherwise, Gaga has made an unarguable impact on world culture, which can be summed up most succinctly with her Guinness World record as Most Famous Celebrity in the World (2013).

She is referenced by reporters/writers for countless industries, arts, and sciences as a bench mark of success as well as a descriptor that represents a variety of things, most commonly a penchant for the avant-garde, the controversial, and/or the colorful. Not just in 2009, 2010, or 2011, but also in current articles in 2015.

From Architecture and Design:

Mr Villani is somewhat eccentric in his personal habits and he has been described as "the Lady Gaga of mathematics". - Business Standard 2015 & The New Yorker 2015 & Huffington Post 2015

"Zaha Hadid, the “Lady Gaga” of architecture" Numerous Sources

"Marcel Wanders is like the Lady Gaga of the design world" New York Times 2011

"Antonio Ballatore: The Lady Gaga of Interior Design" LA Weekly 2010

"Anna Dello Russo: The Lady Gaga of Fashion Week " Telegraph 2010

"Ella Manor Is The Lady Gaga Of Photography" Fstoppers  2014

To sports

"The woman they call the "Lady Gaga of the tennis ... "(Bethanie Mattek-Sands) - Heavy.com 2015

"Venus Williams the 'Lady Gaga' of tennis" Metro Jan 2011

To the historical and deceased:

"Sophie Tucker: The Lady Gaga of her Time?" (Ukrainian Signer, 1920s+) OutMagazine  2015

“She (Duchess of Alba) took old age with great panache and became the Lady Gaga of her day..." Vanity Fair 2014

"Actress Sarah Bernhardt, the Lady Gaga of her day," The Hill 2015

To the artistic, comedic and musical:

"Bringing glamour to the evening will be the “Lady Gaga of jazz”, Kirsty Almeida, who will perform tracks taken from her latest album, ..." Oldham Chronicle 2015

"Regie Cabico: The Kenyon Review recently named him the “Lady Gaga of Poetry” and he has been listed in BUST magazine's “100 Men" DC Metro Theater Arts 2015

"if I had the budget I'd be the Lady Gaga of comedy" Liverpool Echo 2015

"Schmeltzer has aptly been called the Lady Gaga of Hasidic music." Gothamist 2015

"German soprano Simone Kermes boldly claims to be the ''Lady Gaga of classical music''," Sydney Morning Herald 2013

"Tom Jones: 'The Lady Gaga Of Elvis Impersonators" NPR 2010

The political:

"Frederica Wilson the Lady Gaga of congress" Crowley Political Report 2010

"Chris Romer is the Lady Gaga of the mayor's race:" Westword 2011

The regional:

"Pouting, flouting, leering, sneering, Bangkok is the Lady Gaga of Asia." Huffington Post 2013

"3000-Year Old Egyptian 'Lady Gaga'" Tomb Found Discovery News 2012

"G-Dragon or Kwon Ji Yong is a multi-hyphenate talent who has been called the Lady Gaga of South Korea." The Straits Times 2015

"Diana Karazon considered the Lady Gaga of the Arab world" Al-Bawaba 2012

"Commentary: England the "Lady Gaga" of Football" CBS NEWS 2010

"Stephen Gomes- Described as the “Lady Gaga of Indians"" WalesOnline 2015

The misplaced, controversial, and shady:

"...sort of the Lady Gaga of the 80's." (about Madonna) Time Dec 2011

The more random than even the rest:

"The younger stoners jokingly refer to me as the Lady Gaga of Ganja for my cannabis costumes at our 4/20 smoke-outs." NOW Magazine 2015

"The Lady Gaga of Candles: the Lotus Music Candle" Shiny Shiny 2010

"Being the Lady Gaga of Tekken" Nerd Reactor 2015

The Food Network:
"He's the Lady Gaga of the Food Network" (about Alton Brown) UPROXX 2015

and the Food itself:
"Romanesco, the Lady Gaga of Broccoli" KQED 2013

"Red Velvet, the 'Lady Gaga' of cakes" Record-Searchlight 2012

"the Lady Gaga of leafy greens" (about Kale) Huffington Post 2014

"The endless search for the Lady Gaga of chardonnays" Toronto Star 2011

And even the world of Scientific naming:

"An entire genus of ferns has been named after pop star Lady Gaga." WIRED 2012

So since the BBC won't return my calls:
"How The BBC Knows Who Will Be The Next Lady Gaga Before Anyone Else Does" FORBES Dec 2014

I ask,

Can Lady Gaga be the next "Lady Gaga"? Or will someone new be heralded as the next "her" even as she continues to make music? How many decades, if any, do you think before there is a new phenomenon that begins the circle of life all over again? Will she be deceased like MJ or Elvis before it happens to her?

Is LG5 the answer to a 2nd peak?

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

Fiona Apple

Lady Gaga has peaked already...She is never going to sell again 15m + like she did with The Fame..But LG5 could really sell more than 4-5m if the music,the promo and the looks are right

mister max

what a reverse warholian experience

I think, with her next album, she will do better then everything she has done before :woot: 

Buy ARTPOP on itunes or smth?

Didymus

I think a new Lady Gaga can come at any time. In fact, there's already a major contender: Allie X. I'm sure she'd remind a lot of people of FameGa, she is a fantastic vocalist, has a very conceptual artistic output, makes smart pop music, incorporates technology, multimedia and fashion in her works and I can totally see her as the new figure who'd breathe a new cool fresh life into pop music. She just needs to become more famous.

I think Gaga is done playing the conceptual freak and even if she isn't, her antics are becoming expected which is a sign that she already isn't the "Lady Gaga" you refer to in all those departments. She went from being the one who was gonna change pop music to just one of the pop girls. I think it's too late to break out of that if she continues to make pop music and do what people expect her to do visually and performance wise.

I wouldn't like to be the Lady Gaga of anything 'cause I feel like for a lot of people it has a comical undercurrent in interpretation that acknowledges a weird, sort of avant-garde element in your person but doesn't take it fully seriously either. Björk would be different.

Giorno Giovanna

clueless_cast_reunited_08.gif

:laughga: 

how high were you to feel the need to write all of this down

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

Fiona Apple

I think a new Lady Gaga can come at any time. In fact, there's already a major contender: Allie X. I'm sure she'd remind a lot of people of FameGa, she is a fantastic vocalist, has a very conceptual artistic output, makes smart pop music, incorporates technology, multimedia and fashion in her works and I can totally see her as the new figure who'd breathe a new cool fresh life into pop music. She just needs to become more famous.

I think Gaga is done playing the conceptual freak and even if she isn't, her antics are becoming expected which is a sign that she already isn't the "Lady Gaga" you refer to in all those departments. She went from being the one who was gonna change pop music to just one of the pop girls. I think it's too late to break out of that if she continues to make pop music and do what people expect her to do visually and performance wise.

I wouldn't like to be the Lady Gaga of anything 'cause I feel like for a lot of people it has a comical undercurrent in interpretation that acknowledges a weird, sort of avant-garde element in your person but doesn't take it fully seriously either. Björk would be different.

Allie's X music is too usual to smash

Voltaire

Do you think that there is a side of the descriptor that isn't JUST about her eccentricity alone, but also her ability to achieve stratospheric fame in the digital era? I would argue that there are numerous interesting artists in the world of music, it is EXACTLY their inability to launch into mega fame that makes the distinction.

Is it that previous mega stars were dominating in an era of more protected longevity and the digital era is too fast and diverse to keep the spotlight?

Didymus

Allie's X music is too usual to smash

I think it sounds perfectly contemporary and just experimental enough to make anti-pop people raise their eyebrow in interest. It may not be smash material, but I think that not a lot of people take the pop music scene seriously anymore anyway.

I think it'd be entirely possible that the next Lady Gaga won't even try to enter the pop industry game and won't need to to make a name for herself as the most interesting pop artist out there.

Fiona Apple

I think it'd be entirely possible that the next Lady Gaga won't even try to enter the pop industry game and won't need to to make a name for herself as the most interesting pop artist out there.

The next Lady Gaga is Meghan Trainor :sharon:

RebeldeFaith

No way José!

Lady Gaga is the next Iron Maiden!

:green:

Something something idk

Didymus

Do you think that there is a side of the descriptor that isn't JUST about her eccentricity alone, but also her ability to achieve stratospheric fame in the digital era? I would argue that there are numerous interesting artists in the world of music, it is EXACTLY their inability to launch into mega fame that makes the distinction.

Is it that previous mega stars were dominating in an era of more protected longevity and the digital era is too fast and diverse to keep the spotlight?

Well, no, I don't think so because it's already too late for that. Gaga had her explosion of fame but then it passed away. When people think of Lady Gaga now I don't think they think of her success six years ago faster than her popular reputation of being eccentric and weird.

I don't think digital media made a significant difference in that regard. Previous decades are full of one hit wonders. I think Gaga just hasn't shown enough rebound skill. Rihanna had her commercial failures as well but she kept reinventing herself musically and visually (in a more concentrated way) to capture people's attention over and over again. Gaga didn't get a spotlight because of some songs (Rihanna, Katy,...), she earned the spotlight for being unlike anyone else. That's the spotlight you gotta keep. For an artist like Rihanna it's about keeping releasing good, catchy songs. For an artist like Gaga, the bops don't matter as much as keeping up her game of being different and eccentric.

SISTERV

If she wants to be the "Lady Gaga of" again then she needs to truly reinvent and have a message and need for it. One of the things that made her powerful was her ability to challenge the industry and media in big ways and force everyone else to kind of follow her. It forced pop music to change. Nothing about ARTPOP really did that. That's why I feel people don't understand why ARTPOP was shallow. It had no impactful purpose behind it that people cared about. But people do care about Fame, Death of Fame, and Individual Empowerment (btw). I think Gagas next album and era should really pick at the hypocrisy of the music industry and also really have a big message behind it that people can attach themselves to, like adversity, struggle, and maybe suggesting that glamour is fun but not everything. 

Voltaire

No way José!

Lady Gaga is the next Iron Maiden!

:green:

Does that mean in a few years Time Magazine will refer to them as "sorta like the Lady Gaga of Heavy Metal" like they did with Madonna?

:toofunny:

Archived