💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Wildest Dreams sound like Without You?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

So, we're in a lot of debate about it. Some say it's there, other's disagree. But here is the back to back comparison:

The verses are different, but the melody in the chorus is unquestionably similar. I definitely think there's a mixture of other Lana influences on the verses too. Maybe the verses of Born To Die, The Lucky Ones or American. Not to mention Taylor's lower vocal tone. Music reviewers are picking up on this too...

"Lana Del Rey called - she wants her sound back. [Wildest Dreams] sounds a bit like Born To Die." - Heat magazine.

“Wildest Dreams” feels like a Del Rey song, all it really proves is that Swift is capable of taking the contemporary influences around her and molding them into something impressively original." - Sputnikmusic.

"“Wildest Dreams,” which features Swift doing more or less a literal Lana Del Rey impression and managing it with a ventriloquist’s mastery to conjure Del Rey’s moody, sultry atmospherics." - PopMatters.

"Swift even takes her voice down a few notches, sounding a bit more like the brusque Del Rey than her chipper self." - The A.V. Club.

"If Wildest Dreams bears a hint of Lana del Ray, there’s something hugely cheering about the way Swift turns the persona of the pathetic female appendage snivelling over her bad-boy boyfriend on its head." - The Guardian.

"Surprisingly, the famous figure who gets the most elaborate attention is Lana Del Rey: Swift flat-out mimics her on "Wildest Dreams," flitting between a fluttery soprano and deadpan alto, flipping lyrics so Lana -- "His hands are in my hair, his clothes are in my room" -- that it's hard to tell if the song is homage or parody." - Billboard.

So, thoughts? A lot of Taylor's fans have been saying that there's no similarity but seeing as they've been saying that the critics who have been praising Taylor don't lie, shouldn't their claims of the copying be taken as fact, then? Because according to the fans, the critics know best. I think Lana has a big case here. If she was much more successful, she could sue. But I don't think she could achieve much at her actual fame level. Which is a real shame because she deserves a lot more success and it's bittersweet to see other artists making successful singles with her style when she struggles to get played on the radio.

But let's keep the discussion civil, everyone. As much as my dislike for Taylor is known, I don't want to see mudslinging, just intelligent, respectful debate, please. I don't want this locked.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

it definitely sounds like a Lana track... it's most similar to Without You, but the whole song in general screams Lana

elijahfan

Well, it is all very subjective. But I personally instantly thought of Without You the very first time I heard Wildest Dreams.

Yes. Especially in the chorus, it's pretty much a rip off imo

For example: "I'm nooothinngg, without you" compared to "In your wiiilldesst dreams, ooohh" sounds the same for sure.

It's already being discussed in the Wildest Dreams video thread and was discussed in every single thread leading up to it, so I don't see the point of this thread other than to lowkey drag and shade Taylor. But okay. 

who will love me when the night is over

Mimicry is flattery. Taylor ripped off Lana's track and is getting a top ten hit out of it, I think that's a testament to just how good Lana's music is.

Redstreak

Yeah they sound similar

All that praise tho!

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

gagzus

it's because 1989 was taylor's tumblr fake hipster phase hence why she was influenced by the current queen of hipsters

Katsuki Bakugo

Its T-Swizzles Lana moment

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

They sound retro. 

Wildest Dreams sounds much more polished and the lyrics are excellent, unlike Lana's sloppy writing. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

darkchylde

yes lana del rey invented s-xed up slow songs with a touch of nostalgia

she also developed the first polaroid camera and carved the first ever vinyl record out of her fan's bullsh*t.

Blue Jeans

It does but it's already been discussed when 1989 was released.

But i must add, that if it was the contrary (Lana ripping Taylor off) there would be a lawsuit...

but we all know this won't happen since Taylor isn't really original in order for anyone to rip her off :lana:

Destiny is for losers. It’s just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen

Archived