Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Class of 2008 & Post-Gaga Pop Curse

craig

Featured Posts

Odd how many current major pop divas burst onto the scene in one major wave around 2008.

In 2008, Gaga debuted with The Fame, Katy with OOTB, and Adele with 19. Taylor's 2nd album Fearless came out, which made her a star. Rihanna had been around a few year but only became a huge star in 2007 with GGGB album and Umbrella mega-hit.

Previous to that, few major female pop stars had emerge since Britney, Xtina, Pink, and Beyonce all made it big around the turn of the millennium. And after 2008, it's like every potential major emerging female star has been cursed.

2009: Kesha started out like she'd join Gaga-Katy-Rihanna as major stars - but then an eating disorder and dispute with Dr. Like sidelined her.

2012: Lana started off like the next big thing - but after her SNL debacle she never hit as big in America as in Europe, and her 2nd album was a disappointment with no hits or long-lasting sales. Carly Rae smashed with Call Me Maybe - but not be able to follow up with a successful album or run of hits.

2013: Lorde debutted with massive hype and a huge single - only to have the album campaign done after 2 hits.

2014 was all about Ariana, iggy, and Charli XCX - but most of their hits have been collabs, Iggy got backlashed, Charli just cancelled her tour. etc.

2015 we don't even have any potential new stars on the horizon.

So who is the most successful pop girl to debut after Gaga? I'd have to say Ellie Golding, whose first single and EP came out in late 2009. She's actually had 2 successful albums in UK that both produced international hits, with sustained success 2010-2015. If you see her or Kesha as major pop; stars, the curse begins with girls emerging after 2009.

Barbados

probs ellie even though i dont care for her much

youtube.com/watch?v=BR5ZKUKVSEI delete the <wbr> bit

It's not Gaga's fault if other people's music is weak 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Didymus

I'm pretty sure you could make that same decline narrative at whatever year you choose. I mean, if you randomly pick a year before 2008 the decay of Gaga would be as dramatic as all those post-2008 girls you described.

You also clearly twisted reality to fit your theory. Rihanna was already a huge star before Umbrella, come on.

"2015 we don't even have any potential new stars on the horizon."

FKA Twigs says hi.

Apple for me, apple for you.

Bloody

It's all about the music at the end of the day. :shrug:

If their music is that good the singers will stay around.

monsterdreams

Now you say it, Ellie has lasted quite a bit and still produces good music (tho I'll always have a place in my heart for Lights/Bright Lights Ellie :cry:

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

I'm pretty sure you could make that same decline narrative at whatever year you choose. I mean, if you randomly pick a year before 2008 the decay of Gaga would be as dramatic as all those post-2008 girls you described.

ARTPOP is a solid success compared to Kesha's Warrior or Lana's Ultraviolence ... and she followed it up with another US #1 album in 2014. Even if you ignore that Warrior debuted #60 in UK and focus on the successful lead single, the big problem is she's been out of action for 3 years and it's likely to continue due to the lawsuit with the producer who made all her hits.

I do admit, Ariana did well enough in 2013 we have to see how the next album does before reaching any conclusions.

SIA says hi

Sia has been releasing albums since 1997 and will turn 40 this year. Her biggest commercial success has been feat. on Guetta songs and as a producer.

To be a "major pop girl" as I see it, you gotta put out multiple big albums with multiple hit singles.

thierryrreiht

2015 we don't even have any potential new stars on the horizon.

It's weird when you think about it.. Considering that between the time Britney, Beyonce, P!nk and Christina were huge, and Gaga, Katy, Taylor and Rihanna, there were about 7-8 years. We're now about 7-8 years after them and you're right: there are no major act on the horizon...

And to those who mention Sia, FKA Twigs, Tove Lo, or Meghan, please stop. 

Archived