❤︎ OUT NOW! ❤︎

Big Bang Theory star: I'm not a feminist

Redstreak

Featured Posts

Prometheus

There's the dictionary definition, and then there's the colloquial definition everyone actually uses. She means the second.

Please see above.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SEVDALIZA

As I said that is a backward motion belief. To allow a patriarchal, misogynistic society to win by highlighting fake feminists (e.g. those who hate men and say women need to be independent instead of allowing them to be whoever they want to be) and making feminism a dirty word. TIME magazine thought feminism was such a dirty word that it should be banned.

Imagine there is a word for supporting LGBT+ rights, let's call them gayists. Now, gayism is the belief that no matter s-xual orientation or gender identity that everyone should be treated as equals. This movement is a long-standing one, and many have dragged it through the mud, especially those who are heteros-xual. Now, imagine LGBT+ community members are treated better in a few countries than they were in the past, but LGBT+ hate and inequalities are still prevalent in your society and even more so across the world. Clearly, a movement must have a resurgence because our generation is very progressive.

However, media and society (both which are very heteronormative [AKA believe that heteros-xuality is the norm]) have highlighted those in the gayist movement who are heterophobes. These extremists, although few, have had their voices blasted because they say heteros-xuals are beneath LGBT+ community members and that LGTB+ members have to get married, have to adopt kids, and have to control all facets of society. Now, this isn't equalist thinking is it? However, their voices have become so synonymous that the gayist movement has more or less disbanded due to shame and association. 

Of course, those who still believe in LGBT+ rights still support equality, but as I said they are ashamed to even associate with the terms "gayist" or "gayism" for fear of being grouped together with heterophobes. Due to this, the movement has slowed and the gayist voices have been labeled novel and ridiculous. Sure, LGBT+ community members have more rights than they used to, but millions are still shamed, oppressed, and even murdered for how they were born. 

Let's continue this metaphor. Now gayism is being brought back to the public's attention because, hey, inequalities still exit even in our country. You have many people, mostly LGBT+ community members, who are famous and well-off saying they are not gayists because they don't hate heteros-xuals (even though that is not gayism at all). They say they don't need gayism because being an LGBT+ community member has never really negatively affected them. They say all the inequality is in the past. These comments begin to surface in other interviews among other LGBT+ community members who have made it and now look what we have: a fractured movement.

Because of this fear of being associated with extremists we have slowed, if not broken, the movement toward equality. When you have a term such as "feminist," a powerful and provocative word, it can be used to help people identify with a single movement, and help this movement seem more united. When you have a loose conglomeration of people saying, "Well, I'm not a feminist, but I think something should be done about women's rights," it causes the movement to lose traction. And why? All because society and media, which is ran by systematic patriarchalism, deemed "feminist" to be an ugly, negative, cringe-worthy term.  

Bless this post, you just put to words all that's in my mind :applause:

operating from another world

I wouldn't expect anything less from someone who never faced true inequality and it's totally understandable, but being a feminist doesn't mean you can't still be a housewive. Being a feminist means that you believe in the idea of full equality no matter the s-x, which also includes the freedom to cook for your beloved husband. Too bad she doesn't think about all the women that have faced injustice because of their s-x, but I guess you can't expect everyone to be an activist. :shrug:

Runway

but I like the idea of women taking care of their men. I'm so in control of my work that I like coming home and serving him

GUY her impact :applause:

SEVDALIZA

Wait, this is Penny :huh: For a second I thought it was the actress that played Amy Farrah Fowler... Hasn't she made a simmillar statement? 

operating from another world

There's the dictionary definition, and then there's the colloquial definition everyone actually uses. She means the second.

It's like saying you like men but you're not gay because for the majority of people gays are flamboyant, loud, feminine and promiscuous people.

It's like saying you like men but you're not gay because for the majority of people gays are flamboyant, loud, feminine and promiscuous people.

But I'm not gay :awkney: besides, words change meaning.
"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

MahoganySnitch

But you can be a feminist and still be a housewife. :toofunny: I'm not saying she has to be, but one thing is not excluding the other. I don't think she really knows what feminism is. It's more about giving the women the choice and the equal opportunities to be whatever they want, not to prevent them from being domestic and be family oriented.

:applause: I agree, they are not mutually exclusive. 

hughdancy

That's a very bad reason, just because you not personally affected by something doesn't mean you shouldn't stand up for it.

StrawberryBlond

Her character of Bridget in 8 Simples Rules really was a case of life imitating art. I've seen her in interview before. She comes off as so airheaded, it's unbelievable. I'm not surprised she'd come out with something like this. I despair of any woman nowadays who still thinks that feminism is at odds with being a housewife or feminism is something that was achieved long ago and isn't needed now. Her view of "I never went through it, so I can't support the fight" is the reason why foreigners really look down on whites - some of them seem incapable of empathising with something that they haven't had personal experience with. Imagine if we applied that statement to everything in life. Not supporting harsher gun controls because you've never experienced a loved one being shot. Not supporting the end of dictatorships because you don't live in a communist country. Not supporting charities because you don't know anyone who's poor or disadvantaged. So, why should "I'm not a feminist because I've never experienced oppression as a woman" any different? The point is, you should be standing up for those who are oppressed. It's not all about you.

Kinda understand her reasoning. If you've never personally faced adversity against your s-x before, it might be hard to see that discrimination against females still happens. 

I'm not saying that women who don't feel that they've personally experienced s-xism should sit back and pretend it doesn't exist, though. I just understand where she's coming from.

I don't believe that she's never experienced s-xism. All women have endured this at some point and as she's a celebrity, she'll have experienced it even more. Working in tv, she must be aware that series featuring all-women casts rarely get green-lighted, that female presenters don't earn as much money as their male counterparts, that series aimed at males get better promotion, female actresses finding it difficult to get roles as they get older, etc...Sexism is all around us and celebrities will feel it more than most. She probably just thinks that anything she's been through is insignificant, which is the problem with how s-xism is treated - so many women think they've had awkward s-xist experiences but don't want to kick up a fuss "over nothing" and be labelled a priss, prude, b***h, etc. A reaction that is also s-xist.

ryhanna

I don't believe that she's never experienced s-xism. All women have endured this at some point and as she's a celebrity, she'll have experienced it even more. Working in tv, she must be aware that series featuring all-women casts rarely get green-lighted, that female presenters don't earn as much money as their male counterparts, that series aimed at males get better promotion, female actresses finding it difficult to get roles as they get older, etc...Sexism is all around us and celebrities will feel it more than most. She probably just thinks that anything she's been through is insignificant, which is the problem with how s-xism is treated - so many women think they've had awkward s-xist experiences but don't want to kick up a fuss "over nothing" and be labelled a priss, prude, b***h, etc. A reaction that is also s-xist.

True, s-xism is rampant in Hollywood. Just this month, leaked Sony emails revealed that Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence were paid less than their male co-stars for American Hustle. 

Agreed that Kaley likely feels that her experiences with s-xism are insignificant. Not that they are. All s-xism is significant. Maybe she doesn't realise that, and how large of a problem it really is.

aaronyoji

its because of strides in feminism that she can even dream about making 1 mill an episode. so again, how does this not interest her? like feminism is not THAT hard to research, theres blatant examples why feminism is needed in todays society to this very day, and i cant help but roll my eyes when more female celebrities that people look up to like this girl, and then lana, brush off feminism and say that it doesnt interest them. thats like saying "cancer awareness doesnt interest me enough to advocate for it" meanwhile your brother or sister is dying of cancer. 

RAMROD

She have basically have reached Nirvana right now.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived