💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard changing its main album chart, will count streaming services

Redstreak

Featured Posts

So this rule means that a song being listened to means the entire album doing well on charts?

Kinda. If an album is listened to 100-150 times or so, it will count as one sale.

This will probably profit artists like Pitbull and Katy Perry the most. Singles will now play a more important role in the album charts.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RichAssPiss

This seems calculated to undo Taylor Swift's anti-streaming push, if you ask me. It would be albums not available for streaming at a disadvantage on the charts.

Jewels n Drugs

Actually here for this tbh. For people who cant buy albums, they can still help some albums chart

oh look when you werent looking my motorcycle turned into a piano

This seems calculated to undo Taylor Swift's anti-streaming push, if you ask me. It would be albums not available for streaming at a disadvantage on the charts.

Taylor will be fine because her single is #1. itunes sales help too.

Spotify isn't the only streaming service either.

Haroon

Wouldn't this make it easier to manipulate the charts though? :confused: Like if you put a song/album on repeat and just leave it, then it'd rack up sales :duck: I think that's already done for individual songs anyway, but for full-on albums it seems worse :omg:

I don't see how this could be used to determine the popularity of albums though.

I understand for singles its useful because people will like to listen to individual songs, but for albums I think streaming may not work, what if only 1 or 2 songs are listened to a lot but the rest people don't care about? Does this mean the album as a whole will still chart high because of only 1 or 2 songs as opposed to people buying the full album? I'm not sure about it, but we'll see.

Economy

well we gotta move with the times.

IF people listen to music like this in the day and age should it not be added to the formula? u cant stay just on sales forever :shrug:

Also, unless ur a hardcore fan ur not gonna buy multiple copies.... so how will they know if ur gonna listen to it for 1 week or if a year later your still listning to it????

the nice thing about adding streams is they can keep up with whether an album is still popular whether the sales have already been made or not

If 2 albums both sell 1 million coppies but Album B was being listened to by its fans for longer than album A is it not more popular? :shrug:

that being said, i think they should add a separate chart now just for sales still :coffee:

This is good though right? 

Looks like Taylor's team will have to put her catalog back up on Spotify if they want to stay #1 longer. 

Her albums are charting higher on iTunes since the Spotify pull

who will love me when the night is over

Morphine Prince

Her albums are charting higher on iTunes since the Spotify pull

But that's because the album just came out. With this rule won't the longevity of an album be shown? So her album will miss out on the streams. Although her album is big enough that I don't think this will affect her much. She's a sale monster. 

Economy

But that's because the album just came out. With this rule won't the longevity of an album be shown? So her album will miss out on the streams. Although her album is big enough that I don't think this will affect her much. She's a sale monster. 

yes because i can buy an album listen to it for a week and never touch it again... or i can listen to it for a year... either way it will only count as 1 sale

one way or the other im not gonna buy multiple copies of an album just cause i really like it, most ppl arent that obssessed...

this rule change will allow actual popularity among the people to be measured not just the sale :yes:

Sales = charting better honey. Whether indirectly or directly they cared about the charts. Plus, labels care about charts because the higher you are on the charts the more exposed you are/the more the media talks about you and your music. :rip:

But today you can be at the top of the chart with 50K sales :awkney:

It was definitely for the money in taylor's case.

Archived