💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

One Direction's catalogue, and other Sony artists, may be pulled from Spotify

Spock

Featured Posts

Robotboy

The only stupid ones here are people like you, who think that it's ok to pirate music. They are giving you the RIGHT to listen to the album if you buy it. They never are forced to do so

you dont make any sense. its either piracy or streaming in the future.. spotify is great for artists and keeps people legal aswell. taylor will come back :thetea:

now lets just agree to disagree because this is pointless :laughga:

Remember that you are unique. Like everyone else.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you dont make any sense. its either piracy or streaming in the future.. spotify is great for artists and keeps people legal aswell. taylor will come back :thetea:

now lets just agree to disagree because this is pointless :laughga:

no, I do make sense, I'm the only one who does actually. You guys are Ok with stealing/piracy I'm not. Taylor won;t comeback cause she gets her coins anyways, she's an album seller, the biggest seller rn, unlike some artists we all know :thetea:

Redstreak

streaming IS THE FUTURE  and they will deal  :coffee:

Yes, it is the future, therefore they should find a way to better compensate the artist and the people that work for them. "You get nothing with piracy but at least you get .00625 cents a stream with us that gets unequally split up between an artist, their team, and their label!" isn't exactly that much far from free either.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

disneyhigh

oh here we go LOL.

do these fools really think the people that use spotify are going to go out and start buying their albums from itunes? Girl bye. I used to pirate all my music from the internet and have since stopped because I have discovered the beauty of spotify.  Charge me a bit more, fine but dont take your WHOLE catalog off a streaming service that I pay for. Im in college right now and cant afford to be forking over 10-15 dollars to buy an album every time I enjoy it. so go ahead let these fools take their music off and watch as their pockets decrease. I've turned so many friends onto spotifys premium serivce and they are the ones who used to steal music. 

Yes, it is the future, therefore they should find a way to better compensate the artist and the people that work for them. "You get nothing with piracy but at least you get .00625 cents a stream with us that gets unequally split up between an artist, their team, and their label!" isn't exactly that much far from free either.

thats an issue with the label, not spotify. where does all that money go? 

Redstreak

oh here we go LOL.

do these fools really think the people that use spotify are going to go out and start buying their albums from itunes? Girl bye. I used to pirate all my music from the internet and have since stopped because I have discovered the beauty of spotify.  Charge me a bit more, fine but dont take your WHOLE catalog off a streaming service that I pay for. Im in college right now and cant afford to be forking over 10-15 dollars to buy an album every time I enjoy it. so go ahead let these fools take their music off and watch as their pockets decrease. I've turned so many friends onto spotifys premium serivce and they are the ones who used to steal music. 

thats an issue with the label, not spotify. where does all that money go? 

How is that not an issue with spotify? Of course the label heads are gonna get the most and the lowest person will get the least, but Spotify at this point is still not compensating at a rate that warrants being on there. Streaming isn't the issue, the value that people are compensated for their WORK is the issue, once Spotify is able to rectify that, there won't be an issue and there would be no reason to not be a part of Spotify.

And Spotify IS decreasing their pockets. Piracy was lowering sales, yes, but every music selling format took a nosedive at an unimaginably faster rate once Spotify became well known. That's why it boggles my mind that the people who are in constant complaint about the state of music sales also have Spotify accounts.

disneyhigh

How is that not an issue with spotify? Of course the label heads are gonna get the most and the lowest person will get the least, but Spotify at this point is still not compensating at a rate that warrants being on there. Streaming isn't the issue, the value that people are compensated for their WORK is the issue, once Spotify is able to rectify that, there won't be an issue and there would be no reason to not be a part of Spotify.

okay but pulling your music from spotify is not gonna solve that answer. what do you suggest spotify do? how much is music worth? how much should people be charged?  the average consumer is willing to fork over 10 bucks a month but what should be the price point?

all the pulling music from the spotify drama is not gonna help anything but increase piracy. 

Redstreak

okay but pulling your music from spotify is not gonna solve that answer. what do you suggest spotify do? how much is music worth? how much should people be charged?  the average consumer is willing to fork over 10 bucks a month but what should be the price point?

all the pulling music from the spotify drama is not gonna help anything but increase piracy. 

I added more to my original post if you want to go back and look at that. 

From what I've seen the average consumer isn't willing to get premium, most I know go through the free aspect and just deal with ads. I can't say what the price point should be because not everyone follows it and I don't know how Spotify divvies out the royalites, but I would at least say to the point where a stream royalty is comparable to Vevo. 

StrawberryBlond

Ok, this was unexpected. I thought the hate Taylor was getting for her actions would only encourage more artists to use Spotify, but it appears I was wrong. Sony Music is on the sauce and someone needs to wake them up out of their delusion. This move is going to p**s off so many of the fans, it's unreal. The old piracy levels will resume and album sales will drop even more than before. It's not like some of these acts listed are bestsellers anyway - Pitbull and Calvin Harris are notorious single artists, so piracy or no piracy, their sales aren't affected. Carrie Underwood's fallen in popularity and was never popular outwith America anyway and 1D can't have long to go now if their latest performance is anything to go on. Spotify helps artists, it doesn't destroy them. So many indie acts champion streaming because it gets their music out there and gets them some profit, even if it's not much. Having less money makes people so grateful for any support they can get but the rich artists seem to think they're entitled to everything, even though they'll never be poor and they get their music heard on the biggest platforms possible. Besides, the real money's in touring, which they excel at, so what's the problem? I just don't get why artists think they deserve millions for their job as opposed to regular civilians. They make music to make the world sound nice, they're not curing cancer.

Ultimately, these types of artists are just looking for excuses as to why their music isn't selling. They don't for a second question the quality. 2014 was one big disappointment, and 2013, come to that. The low sales this year prove that the public is wising up to artists who don't care about quality. They now listen for free online and cherry pick the best songs and leave the rest. I don't use Spotify but I listen to all music for free on YouTube before I buy. And if it's not on YouTube, I find another site that streams it. Albums are so rubbish these days that there's no way I'm going to pay £12 or so for an album that could potentially be average or worse. If anything, the lower sales these days can give artists a better idea of how many actual fans they have as opposed to selling millions back in the day and then wondering why they have no demand for a tour or their follow-up album flops. I know if I were an artist, I would prefer that everyone who purchased my album loved it rather than only 50% or less loving it.

I don't see this as an issue with streaming in itself but rather how much is being paid to the artists/companies for the works they place on these streaming sites. If you notice the main concern is with Spotify (being that they're a leader) since they in a way control the flow of how this may be the norm for the future of streaming like services. I agree that streaming will be more commonplace but sites like Spotify need to reevaluate how they distribute the amount they're paying artists for being on their platform. Notice that there's no issue with YouTube (a free service entirely for streaming) since Google has a fair balance of payout. 

zexion_armando

Lesser of two evils argument.

Spotify compensates the musicians in some way, and people still get really easy and quick access to the music they want.

Torrents compensate no one, and people get easy and quick access to the music they want.

Buying CD's cause you just want to listen to 1-3 songs from an album? Lol

I don't see this as an issue with streaming in itself but rather how much is being paid to the artists/companies for the works they place on these streaming sites. If you notice the main concern is with Spotify (being that they're a leader) since they in a way control the flow of how this may be the norm for the future of streaming like services. I agree that streaming will be more commonplace but sites like Spotify need to reevaluate how they distribute the amount they're paying artists for being on their platform. Notice that there's no issue with YouTube (a free service entirely for streaming) since Google has a fair balance of payout. 

But youtube mobile and stuff in general is really limited. At least with spotify, its mobile applications, which is where music is thriving its best, is easy to use and offers full access to its library if I recall.

GOOD, no more free streaming like Spotify please

keep it to Youtube and that's it, music should be BOUGHT

agreed, that's why I actually PAY for spotify! I used to just download youtube audio for free! And I will go back to doing that if they take away music I actually like and pay for on spotify!

Wow this is interesting, I never knew other companies would follow suite. It'll be cool to see what will be going down the rest of the year.

Archived