💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Record Industry Considering a Standard, Global Album Release Day

MrFameKills

Featured Posts

Whispering

Honey, I've never been more serious....  :grr:

If we were to made an honest survey in the forum, what group would dominate - those who buy or those who download music?  :awesome:  :oops:

I can't believe we even have to discuss this. What do you wanna tell me? That we have to feel bad for ripping off billionaires? Not gonna happen...  :kissga:

When you steal music, it has a trickle down effect. Stealing music has consequences...it changes the music industry in various ways.

It's not about ripping off billionaires. Piracy impacts the new and experimental artists. It cuts down on the number of new acts record labels will sign and keeps experimental artists from getting signed to major labels. It also means that talented artists, that sell less, are getting dropped. The big names on labels are what helps to fund the new artists and ones that don't do as well commercially.

With most streaming services, you can listen to unlimited music for a minimal fee. You just can't own the music. So, that's an option for those who can't afford to buy music.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eifulien

When you steal music, it has a trickle down effect. Stealing music has consequences...it changes the music industry in various ways.

It's not about ripping off billionaires. Piracy impacts the new and experimental artists. It cuts down on the number of new acts record labels will sign and keeps experimental artists from getting signed to major labels. It also means that talented artists, that sell less, are getting dropped. The big names on labels are what helps to fund the new artists and ones that don't do as well commercially.

With most streaming services, you can listen to unlimited music for a minimal fee. You just can't own the music. So, that's an option for those who can't afford to buy music.

I was expecting a similar answer to my posts and I agree, actually.  :yes: I realized this when posting it. I think the truth always lies in the balance b/n two oppositions....

StrawberryBlond

Great idea - it's ridiculous how certain countries can get a new album days before another. When you release something, it should be released at the same time worldwide, end of. My issue is not with piracy, it's about treating the fans right, though yes, these varying dates increase piracy as the countries who get it first (usually Australia and Germany) put the whole thing online for free a week before the rest of the world get it. I think the concept of "choosing the date that work's best in our country's territory" is so childish. Not everyone can be at #1 worldwide all the time and it's unrealistic to think an artist can achieve this if just the right dates are selected. It means that an album's success can't be judged accurately by its opening numbers anymore, as they're scheduled to release in different countries at a time when there's no other threats. At least Interscope have let Gaga take risks on this front, like releasing BTW on 26 May worldwide and not over-thinking the foreign release dates for ARTPOP. Hell, ARTPOP was released in Japan the same week as Avril Lavigne and a Japanese artist and Gaga still came out #1. Sometimes, taking a risk actually helps. No other artist would dare release in Japan the same week as Avril, but Gaga just wants her fans to get her music when it's ready and thank goodness for that. Her release date being what it was meant that she lost her easy #1 in certain territories because Eminem had released the week before and Celine Dion the same week (and Celine had lots of different dates). But, you know, that's life. You can't win them all. That's what charts are all about.

Someone on atrl pointed out that they should also remove country exclusive songs. Completely agree, it's so annoying  :worship:

Yes, yes and yes again. They aren't as popular as they used to be, but I still see country exclusive songs creeping up and it annoys me no end. I review albums non professionally, so all these extra tracks artificially inflate an album's length and I make a point of listening to every song available, so it takes up more time. And fans have a right to get every track. What makes fans in other countries so special? I realise that Japan is the second biggest music industry, so Japan exclusive tracks are understandable, but sometimes the artist isn't even big in Japan (case in point, Lana, even though she has 2 Japan exclusive tracks on Ultraviolence) and the song isn't even a type that would really appeal to Japanese culture. A Spanish language version of a song is understandable in Latin territories or a song so clearly aimed at another culture maybe wouldn't work on the standard edition. But I can't understand why regular tracks are subject to this. And don't even get me started on Target/Best Buy exclusive bonus tracks. The deluxe edition differs from the Target/Best Buy edition, so if you're a mega fan, you're encouraged to buy 2 copies (and maybe even a digital one too as the iTunes bonuses differ too). And also, those retailers only exist in the US, so  international fans will miss out. The deluxe edition should be just that - all the songs that didn't make it onto the standard and I mean every track. And the deluxe should be the same for all countries and it shouldn't differ from the online deluxe. I'm a firm believer in everyone getting the same listening experience, so I'm against deluxe editions anyway, but if they are still going to exist, they should be the same bonus material no matter which format you go for or where you live.

migamiga

Works for me, but why Friday? That's a terrible release date for albums. I like having them at the beginning of the week.

An album's first week sales are pretty much made up of first day and weekend sales. People go shopping more on the weekends and tend to but the album then.

The only thing I don't get is that even if there is a global day, the album wouldn't be released at the same time because of the time difference. It would be Friday in the UK before it's Friday in the US- I know it's only a couple hours but the album would leak to other countries by then

(why they alwayas get the most complete and full editions with much extras?)  :confused:  :toofloppy:

Sales in Japan are usually the lowest due to the cost to consumers, Japanese consumers rarely purchase music legally due to this; in order to combat this companies have chosen to add incentives almost to make it an easier sale.

eifulien

Sales in Japan are usually the lowest due to the cost to consumers, Japanese consumers rarely purchase music legally due to this; in order to combat this companies have chosen to add incentives almost to make it an easier sale.

Thanks for the clarification.  :)

RAMROD

Someone on atrl pointed out that they should also remove country exclusive songs. Completely agree, it's so annoying :worship:

No. Get the CD if they want that song. :omfgaga:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

It won't make a difference unless they release music at exactly the same time everywhere... I don't see why they don't. 

Even if they decide on one day, it will still be available in some places before others. 

Just release the music to everywhere at one time. 

GypsyPrince

If people don't want to pay for music, they won't pay for music. It's not that hard to wait for a few hours for illegal download links to surface on the Net, even if the street date is the same all around the world.

I don't see their logic in this.

MonsterOfSpain

I think it's a good idea, but this is even a better idea... :laughga:

Or they could make music and other entertainment media cheaper. That would reduce piracy as well.

Music is so expensive I can only afford to buy Gaga's albums, and a couple of others artists' I like.

heavymlover

I think it's a good idea, but this is even a better idea... :laughga:

Music is so expensive I can only afford to buy Gaga's albums, and a couple of others artists' I like.

Blu-ray movie: $20 dollars

Popular book: $20 dlls (yeah, books are expensive outside the US)

Brand new videogame: $50 dlls

One episode of a popular series: $3 dlls each, $30 dlls for the whole season

Music album: $12 dlls, $1.29 dlls p/song

Yeah, as much as I enjoy having a pretty collection of original blurays and all that stuff, entertainment is too expensive.

MonsterOfSpain

Blu-ray movie: $20 dollars

Popular book: $20 dlls (yeah, books are expensive outside the US)

Brand new videogame: $50 dlls

One episode of a popular series: $3 dlls each, $30 dlls for the whole season

Music album: $12 dlls, $1.29 dlls p/song

Yeah, as much as I enjoy having a pretty collection of original blurays and all that stuff, entertainment is too expensive.

One standard album is about 15€ in Spain, which is $20 and also the reason I never buy music in my country.

Archived