💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Record Industry Considering a Standard, Global Album Release Day

MrFameKills

Featured Posts

MrFameKills

record-music-store-billboard-650.jpg

The change was spurred in part by Beyonce's most recent surprise release, as well as piracy from Down Under.

The music industry is on the verge of adopting a global street date that could see all countries issuing new releases on a Friday, probably beginning a year from now, in July 2015, according to industry sources. While some sources say its a done deal as far as the major labels and the IFPI and RIAA are concerned, other sources insist the issue has yet to be fully decided. The main reason why the industry is moving toward a global street date -- instead of letting each territory pick the day that they feel is best for their respective markets, which is the way it works now -- is to cut down on global piracy.

With Australia now having a Friday street date, digital piracy begins almost immediately around the globe, as the new release is shared across the web before fans in the U.K. (which has a Monday street date) or the U.S. (which has a Tuesday street date) have a chance to purchase the music legally.

With varying street dates in different markets, the labels are able move their artists around in order to take advantage of marketing opportunities that coincide with the changed street date. Now, labels can still do that on the week of release, but will have less opportunity to schedule a high-profile appearance on the release date itself.

While sources say that digital music service providers like the Friday street date, not all physical merchants have given the change their blessing; some indie labels and indie merchants are opposed to having the global street date on Friday

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6214409/record-industry-considering-a-standard-global-album-release-day

What do you think? 26.gif

wish ya good fortune in tha wars 2 come

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

I doubt that will make a big difference, but hey, whatever.

#MaryRoachStyle

PicklePower

I don't understand... :confused:

MEGHAN TRAINOR | Katy Perry | Taylor Swift | Lady Gaga | Rihanna | Ariana Grande | Beyoncé | Nicki Minaj | Sam Smith

I don't understand anything what it talks about :rip: Somebody please simplify it to me :rip:

Apple for me, apple for you.

MrFameKills

I don't understand... :confused:

I don't understand anything what it talks about :rip: Somebody please simplify it to me :rip:

A street date is the date on which a particular product (in this case an album) is usually released. In Australia it's Fridays, in the UK - Mondays, US- Tuesdays. This is also the way the charts work and how they count the sales.

So this obviously means some countries get the album before others and thus illegal download links spread faster. So by making the street date the same for everybody it should cut down piracy. :)

wish ya good fortune in tha wars 2 come

PicklePower

A street date is the date on which a particular product (in this case an album) is usually released. In Australia it's Fridays, in the UK - Mondays, US- Tuesdays. This is also the way the charts work and how they count the sales.

So this obviously means some countries get the album before others and thus illegal download links spread faster. So by making the street date the same for everybody it should cut down piracy. :)

Ohh.... Thanks!

So the charts start keeping track on Tuesdays?

MEGHAN TRAINOR | Katy Perry | Taylor Swift | Lady Gaga | Rihanna | Ariana Grande | Beyoncé | Nicki Minaj | Sam Smith

What a strange system... :rip: I am glad that now it will be the same for everyone :yes:

Apple for me, apple for you.

RAMROD

Very good. This is all I wish for since beginning.

Please make it happen! YAAAAAASSS!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived